3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

The 3rd Gen Dodge Ram Offroad Armor Reference

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 3rd Gen Dodge Ram Offroad Armor Reference

I know some of you out there are like me, and are constantly scouring the web for products that allow you to take your Ram over rocks and other obstacles while keeping the body and mechanicals pristine. I wanted to create a guide that lists out some of the products available from different vendors that will allow 3rd Gen owners to armor up their rigs. I want to keep this from turning into a post about bumpers since there are already plenty of those threads out there.

Here is what I have found to be useful:

Defiant Diff Protector
http://www.defianttruckproducts.com/
Although it takes away a small bit of ground clearance, this 1/4" steel protector has taken the hits to prove its worth. Last outing I hit it three times, twice hard enough to stop my 1 ton dead in its tracks. It is now pretty scratched up, but still has plenty of material left on it. Definitely a great product.

OEM Transfer Case Skid
Various OEM Vendors
Good for one, maybe two hits, tops. Mine is now slightly taco'd up from sliding over some rocks when offroading. I was more worried about the weak looking cross member than the plate, but the crossmember is fine and the plate turned out the be the weak link. It did its job and protected the xfer case, though. Look elsewhere for a better product.

Kilby's Transfer Case and Front Bumper Skids
http://www.kilbyenterprises.com/
Kilby makes one for the fer case and one for those w/ stock front bumpers. I have no experience with these and hope someone chimes in. Unless they are 3/16" steel or better then they'll end up like the OEM skid.

Purple Cranium Diff Guards
http://purplecranium.com/
These guards look pretty stout, and are of the "cage" variety differential cover guards. Unless I find something better for the rear axle, I may end up getting one of these. Better still would be a ductile iron angular diff cover that replaces the stock one (like those available to Dana axles).

OEM Power Wagon Rock Rails
No Longer Available
Good luck finding these. Dodge doesn't sell them anymore and I doubt new PWs will have these as an option. The best bet is custom when it comes to a set of frame mounted rock rails that can withstand the weight of the truck. These OEM ones are 3" tube I believe with 1/4" brackets that bolt to the frame with 12-14 1/2" holes that need to be drilled into the fully boxed frame of your truck.

Feel free to add your own reviews or findings to help grow this thread as a reference guide for off road armor.

Thanks,

Chris
Old 12-12-2008, 04:37 PM

Another diff guard alternative:

SuperLift Extreme Ring Diff Guards
http://www.superlift.com/accessories/extremering.asp
A different approach to the cage-type diff protectors, this one offers a strengthened ring and then a plate that covers just the ring gear. Of the two types, I would pick a cage type over this, because you can still back into the diff cover where the plate doesn't cover and spring a nice leak of diff oil. Again, a nodular iron angular diff cover that replaces the stock one would be the best.

-Chris
Old 12-12-2008, 09:52 PM

any up close pics of the PW rock rails?
Old 12-13-2008, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by SlowSixSpeed
any up close pics of the PW rock rails?

Old 12-26-2012, 09:29 PM

Old thread that needs updating. Defiant no longer sells diff guards, but Carli and others make a good one. Anyone know of some rock rails? I know there are still a lot of us who would like to get a set of those.