3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

3rd gear clutch dump - 1st try - TOO FUN !!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 04:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
3rd gear clutch dump - 1st try - TOO FUN !!!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I tried this for the first time today. I was told to do this after 500 miles, but I could not wait, I have 300 miles on the clutch. That is fun a heck. After work I will go take a photo & post the burnout marks. Compared to most of the trucks on here it is probably a snail. But compared to stock, this is great. My truck's power is way under clutch's rating.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My truck with 4.10's could not burn out. Now with the VA, it will smoke all day with a third gear launch.

Only did that twice. No more, I can't afford more tires. Well maybe one more...I'll be stacking a TS Ramifier this weekend.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:15 PM
Banned

i will know all about this third gear launch as soon as my clutch gets here i cant wait. im goin nuts waiting
Old 11-14-2006, 05:24 PM

Just curious and not trying to start an arguement but why didn't you guys get a South Bend Clutch??? I was looking for a clutch for my dads truck and 99.9% of the big hp guys are running them. The only one that isn't that comes to mind is banshee....

I have a dual disk SBC setting next to me that I need to install in my dad's truck
Old 11-14-2006, 05:51 PM

How much for a South Bend? or the SBC?

I assume I'll need one sooner than later
Old 11-14-2006, 06:11 PM
Banned

Dan from Valair talked me into it. he is also a very nice guy to talk to.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm too chicken to do the 3rd gear launch with my stock clutch.

MikeyB
Old 11-14-2006, 07:17 PM

Everytime I try a 3rd gear launch, it kinda bogs. Maybe I'm not reving it up high enough.

Or its the SBC Fe Single Disc clutch. That sucker doesn't slip for anything!!!!

Its got a PS62/14. TST Twins program, pusher pump, and then the SBC Fe Clutch.

I really need to stack it with something, because its dog out of the hole even with it on 6/4 or 6/2 (usually were I leave it at)
Old 11-14-2006, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Smkn600CTD
Everytime I try a 3rd gear launch, it kinda bogs. Maybe I'm not reving it up high enough.

Or its the SBC Fe Single Disc clutch. That sucker doesn't slip for anything!!!!

Its got a PS62/14. TST Twins program, pusher pump, and then the SBC Fe Clutch.

I really need to stack it with something, because its dog out of the hole even with it on 6/4 or 6/2 (usually were I leave it at)
On my last burn out, I brought the rpm up to about 2300 or 2400? Something like that. When the clutch started to grab, I dumped it and went full throttle. The truck went sideways and I had to let out because of traffic.

So I bet you need more rpm.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I started playing with my new ladder bars today:

1st gear (hey - I weigh 10K# OK? ) throttle to 1500 rpm, load the drivetrain and step off the clutch (not sidestep it ) and step on the XLR8R - tires just went up in smoke.

So I tried 2nd gear...
2000 rpm, load drivetrain and release as above - 3' chirp, front end came up and truck lunged forward; had a moment before 3rd to look in the mirror at the posi marks.

2nd gear again (feeling lucky )
2000 rpm, same as above except I mat the skinny pedal on launch: 8-10' of tire spin, front end lift and truck lunges all the way into 3rd - that shift came so soon it caught me by surprise and couldn't glance in the mirror until I was heading for 4th... saw a fair amount of smoke in the intersection, but I couldn't tell what percentage was fuel, tires or clutch dust.

I haven't felt a launch like that since the last time I drove the GTO... (hey, I don't get out much! )

Anyway, the bars definitely transfer a little more NVH from the road, and the truck definitely has more power getting to the tires; previously, I could break the rear loose in 1st without major wheelhop, but it wasn't silky smooth either.
Now the rear tires break loose with these bars like you're in the rain or something...
Old 11-14-2006, 07:46 PM

Hey stock03, what is a VA? I see ya got a bunch of mods, so I am sure it is fast.
Smkn600CTD, I brought it up to 25-2600 RPM's or so. How high ya' revvin' it?
Luken, I am sure Southbend makes an awesome clutch. No one ever has a bad report about their product or their service, nothing but positive feedback. And their webpage looks like they are definetly dedicated to the Diesel gearhead, Cummins and then some. So I am definetly not saying anything negative about their products. I never called Southbend because I am sure they have awesome products from reading other's posts. Again, please don't assume I am flaming any Southbend products.

I searched around a little, compared prices (big factor for me), called people on the phone. I really liked the owner of Valair, customer service is great, answered my tech quesitons ASAP. He told me to call him back if I was not happy with the clutch. He gave me a good discount after we talked Dodge power for a while. So far I love this clutch. The stocker which I had a friend remove looked great, but would not hold for squat. The Valair piece will not slip at all, even going up an onramp & flooring it at 1300RPM in 5th gear or from a low RPM in 6th.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:57 PM
Banned

a va is a van aiken module. it is a performance module
Old 11-14-2006, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by dodgezilla04
What he said...

And the truck really isn't fast. But if it was an auto, it would be pretty darn quick! I just can't shift to save my life!

But after I add the TS, I'll get some sort of fuel pusher (FASS, or whatever they are. I need to learn more!), then ladder bars, then...that's all. No more mods ever!
Old 11-14-2006, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by dodgezilla04

Thanx, Dodgezilla04.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by stock03
How much for a South Bend? or the SBC?

I assume I'll need one sooner than later
South Bend is SBC (South Bend Clutch) and the price will depend on what model. Mine is the Dual Disk 3850 and was $2600.

Quick Reply: 3rd gear clutch dump - 1st try - TOO FUN !!!!!!