3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

3600 DD slipping

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3600 DD slipping

3600 DD is slipping I just put in this spring I have 20k on it and can not give it over half throttel, it is like you just throw it in Nuetral it slips so bad. I think something may have broke in the clutch?? I will have to call tomarro and see what I can do with it?
Old 10-27-2008, 08:02 PM

Yep something isnt right... Give peter a call...
Old 10-28-2008, 12:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
3600 DD should be a lever-style clutch (not diaphragm), so Peter might ask why it's on a street truck, since it's more of sled clutch.

Did you get the hydro upgrade?
Also, one of the 4 levers may have broken.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by XLR8R
3600 DD should be a lever-style clutch (not diaphragm), so Peter might ask why it's on a street truck, since it's more of sled clutch.

Why wouldn't it be on a street truck? I am sure almost all of them are on street trucks, including mine. That is why I got a DD 3600 was for its all around use.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:24 AM

Mine is a 4 lever style as well.. purchased just for the all aroundness of the clutch... and definitely not a sled pulling only clutch... In fact mainly the opposite
Old 10-28-2008, 09:56 AM
Banned

Mine is a 4 lever style as well.. purchased just for the all aroundness of the clutch... and definitely not a sled pulling only clutch... In fact mainly the opposite
That's what I thought too...and that's why I bought the 3850 sprung hub. However, after one of the fingers on mine broke, I called Peter, and he talked some sense into me. He said that the extreme plate loading that I had could be driven daily, but would fail prematurely by being cycled in and out frequently. The 3250 is the clutch meant for street driving. The heavier plate loads can be driven on the street (and I did for a year and a half), but their finger design pressure plate is not meant for this; the 3250 is a diaphragm design, and works very well.

--Eric
Old 10-28-2008, 10:56 AM

You're a good stick man, Brian, so the DD ought to live for a while... don't lose any sleep over it!
The 3600 may well be a 'tweener clutch that works fine over the long haus.

I know Peter recommends the 3250 as best for daily drivers.

Makes sense from an engineering point of view, as lever-operated pressure plates can exert more clamp load, but are more likely to break. Diaphragm-style plates are smoother (and easier on the throwout bearing, IMO) and will usually bend (over center) instead of break, but typically don't reach high clamp loading in comparison.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:31 PM

peter told me to pull out the slave cylinder and check the lever it should be loose. I did that and it was tight aginst the front of the tranny. Now he wants me to pull tranny and take pictures of the clutch and e-mail them to him I will not get to do that till monday morning before I leave for the sema show..
Old 11-07-2008, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by enafzige
That's what I thought too...and that's why I bought the 3850 sprung hub. However, after one of the fingers on mine broke, I called Peter, and he talked some sense into me. He said that the extreme plate loading that I had could be driven daily, but would fail prematurely by being cycled in and out frequently. The 3250 is the clutch meant for street driving. The heavier plate loads can be driven on the street (and I did for a year and a half), but their finger design pressure plate is not meant for this; the 3250 is a diaphragm design, and works very well.

--Eric
First time I've read about the fingers breaking. This isn't very common is it?

You're a good stick man, Brian, so the DD ought to live for a while... don't lose any sleep over it!
The 3600 may well be a 'tweener clutch that works fine over the long haus.

I know Peter recommends the 3250 as best for daily drivers.

Makes sense from an engineering point of view, as lever-operated pressure plates can exert more clamp load, but are more likely to break. Diaphragm-style plates are smoother (and easier on the throwout bearing, IMO) and will usually bend (over center) instead of break, but typically don't reach high clamp loading in comparison.
So now if a clutch is going to be in a daily driver the diaphragm style plates are what is recommended? I was under the impression you could daily drive whatever you could stand? In making a few calls earlier today a vendor was telling me I could maybe get a diaphragm style plate with a higher load than the 3250 or 3400 or whatever it happens to be?
Sorry if this is a slight hi-jack I should probably start my own thread for my questions.

Justin just out of curiousity how have you treated that clutch? What has it been through? Thanks
Old 11-08-2008, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by Sandaholic
So now if a clutch is going to be in a daily driver the diaphragm style plates are what is recommended?

Yes

I was under the impression you could daily drive whatever you could stand?

You could - doesn't mean you should.

Thanks
Old 11-08-2008, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Sandaholic
First time I've read about the fingers breaking. This isn't very common is it?

So now if a clutch is going to be in a daily driver the diaphragm style plates are what is recommended? I was under the impression you could daily drive whatever you could stand? In making a few calls earlier today a vendor was telling me I could maybe get a diaphragm style plate with a higher load than the 3250 or 3400 or whatever it happens to be?
Sorry if this is a slight hi-jack I should probably start my own thread for my questions.

Justin just out of curiousity how have you treated that clutch? What has it been through? Thanks
The 3600 lever style is the highest plate load for street use, the 3850 is where u will have problems as daily driver because of the plate load the levers will become weak over time and break so thats why Peter recommends the 3600 DD if the truck is gonna be a DD and be pulling on the weekends!
I have somewhere around 3k miles on my 3600 so far and havent had one
issue. The clutch is a breeze to drive!
Old 11-09-2008, 12:51 PM

Well I got a new clutch and compaird to clutch I had and when I set the two fly wheels side by side the new one was not as tall as the one I had. That was a good sign to me. So I installed the clutch and the shift fork was not tight to the trany bellhousing, there was like a quater of an inch of play in it. so that was a good thing to see. on the test drive the clutch grabs about mid stroke on the pedel. Were the other one grabed twards the top of the stroke when new. also good to see. then for some reason the clutch is not as loud as the one I had before, not that the noise botherd me just somthing I noticed. Over all this new one I got is quite abit better that other clutch. I just have to send the old one back and then mabe peter will notice the flywheel differences, then I will see what will happen to the warranty.
Old 11-09-2008, 01:06 PM

You put the same type of 3600 back in? Or did you go with something else?
Old 11-09-2008, 01:12 PM

The same one.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:24 PM

How many hooks did you have on the old clutch?

Quick Reply: 3600 DD slipping