3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

315's Priceless

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 315's Priceless

OK ya'll, I finally finished my 315's on H-2 Rims Project and they look great! My truck came with 245-70x17 and what a difference. If anyone wants to see, I posted some pictures in my gallery. What a bargain too, here's the low down:

H-2 Rims from E-Bay with shipping included $238.00
BFG 315's E-Bay local pickup no shipping $370.00
Fuel for trip to Clearwater to pick up tires $30.00
4-3/4" holesaw and arbor (don't recomend using) $47.00
Mount and Balance (Discount Tires) Great Job! $53.00
Making my Dodge Ram Hubcaps fit n/c
The way my truck looks now PRICELESS

Next I think I will lower the back, not sure yet which way I want to go, either taking out blocks or adding weight. Still need to tint windows and even though they stick out past the fenders (tires) I am NOT putting on flairs. I just think they take away from the rugged good looks of the truck. Have a great weekend everyone!
Old 04-02-2004, 08:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

Nice!

MikeyB
Old 04-03-2004, 04:53 AM

Welcome to the 315 club Jerry! I too don't really want fender flares but when it rains you will find that those tires throw a lot of water onto the side of the truck and make a big mess. I'm thinking about making my own flares out of some thick rubber diamond plate matting. You really only need about 1.5" of extra coverage. My dad did this on a custom van he had before and it looked pretty good. I don't mind wasting money on my truck but some things are very overpriced like fender flares and brush guards and I just can't bring myself to spend the money....
Old 04-03-2004, 10:05 AM

Really looks sharp instead of modding the h2 caps, finally the stock caps look good,, Nice job good work
Old 04-05-2004, 12:45 PM

JerryR, Why don't you reommend

drilling out the hubs yourself? I have a set of 4 mounted H2 rims sitting on my sideyard and a 4 3/4" metal hole saw ready to go. All I need to do is rent a Heavy Duty drill to complete the project.

Even though I only paid $535 for the H2 rims with 315/70/17 BFG's mounted, I would like to not have to buy a new set of rims.

(BTW, these things are cheap on ebay, like $40-50 a piece.)

Could you let me know what problems you had drilling them out. I called a few machine shops in the Phoenix area and they all told me I needed to get the tires dismounted before they could open up the hubs. I figured I would do it myself to save time and money. TIA.
Old 04-05-2004, 01:00 PM

Did mine saturday beg or borrow a hole hog USE LOW SPEED piece of cake I REPETE USE LOW SPEED !!!
Old 04-05-2004, 01:28 PM

Got it, slow and easy. What is a Hole Hog and how does it differ from a regular HD drill?

Also, anyone have any advise in trimming my Dodge stock hub covers to fit the H2 rims?
Old 04-05-2004, 04:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry if this is a dumb question as I'm still waiting for my truck, but what is it that everyone likes so much about these H2 wheels vs. the stock premium aluminum wheels? It seems to me that the H2 wheels would be a lot harder to keep clean. Please enlighten me.

Thanks,
Neil
Old 04-05-2004, 04:23 PM
Banned

Price was main reason for me along with the backspacing which doesn't cause the wheel to stick way out of the wheelwell. I also happen to like to look with the Dodge caps. Check my gallery for pics. As for how to cut the Dodge caps, search for a previous thread where I explained how I did my set.

Carl
Old 04-05-2004, 04:24 PM

Anyone know of a place to get some 315's for a decent price, I know tirerack has them for $154, but I heard some place has them for $125? I need six, so I need them as cheap as possible.

thanks
Old 04-05-2004, 04:48 PM

Neil

The main reason why I am going with the new rims (besides the fact I have the ugly chrome clad rims) is that the 315/70/17's are limited to 8.5" to 10" wide rims.

While many would argue that there is little difference between the 8.0" stock and 8.5" Hummer wheels, I don't want to find out at 75mph with 7500 pounds attached to my bumper.
Old 04-05-2004, 09:57 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
NJMurvin,

To me the H2 wheels look better than the stock aluminum wheels. They are a little wider to accomodate the 315's, and they have the proper backspacing to not rub. And if you like them, you can get them easily for very little money. Later, if you break one you can always get another

CaughtinmyGrill,

The Hole Hawg is a very heavy duty right angle drill with a low speed gear and a second handle sticking out from the drill head. They also are variable speed. When drilling out these wheels all of these features are important. If you plan to do this project see my earlier post explaining the operation. It is easy if you do it right and carefully. Set the hole saw into the front of the wheel where it centers itself and drops in. Grip the drill and start slowly. The drill chatters around some but this is an advantage because the finished hole must be about 4 7/8 inch. I tried a different style drill but could not keep the hole saw from jumping out of the wheel center until I made a centering template. The Hole Hawg makes it easy. Of course, a lathe would be the best way, but we don't all have access to one. And, you can leave the tires on with the hole saw method.

Wetspirit
Old 04-06-2004, 04:25 AM

Ramasaur,

I think many of us got our 315s from TireRack.com when they were running a special. Mine were $114.00 each plus shipping. The price seems to be going up and down a lot lately. Try Sams club. I know someone here got the tires for the same price as me and at Sams they include lifetime mounting and balancing. I spent $100.00 getting mine mounted and balanced and I got a break because my dad works there.....
Old 04-06-2004, 10:04 AM

local hummer dealer brand new takeoffs wheels & tires $500.00 I Mine came with the ugly chromies also
Old 04-06-2004, 05:50 PM

You guys better stop talking about my chrome rims like that!!

I like them.....

Quick Reply: 315's Priceless