3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
View Poll Results: Did you get the death wobble from 315s or larger, and what did you do to fix/prevent?
Yes(and fixed it by....)
20.93%
No(prevented it by....)
79.07%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

315s (or larger) and the Death Wobble

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
315s (or larger) and the Death Wobble

Who all with 315s or larger has the death wobble, and if you did/didnt what did you do to fix it/prevent it?
Ill be going with a leveling kit(superlift springs), shocks, and probably Thuren adjustable track bar.
Aftermarket steering dampener worth it?
Old 09-12-2006, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Stacked97
Who all with 315s or larger has the death wobble, and if you did/didnt what did you do to fix it/prevent it?
Ill be going with a leveling kit(superlift springs), shocks, and probably Thuren adjustable track bar.
Aftermarket steering dampener worth it?
A few things to manage the death wobble, (speaking from experience here)
*make sure you have max air pressure
*with the bigger tires a aftermarket steering damper will help
*after you get your leveling kit installed, get a wheel alignment, when that is being done, make sure you talk to the technician, get him to advance the castor to at least 4.5 if not more, (depends on the truck)

If you do these you will not have any problems
Old 09-12-2006, 08:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are many threads on this issue within this forum. Although many are adamant they know the cause there doesn't seem to be a consensus.

My '03 developed severe death wobble with a 2" leveling kit and 315 BFG's. You couldn't drive the truck at 70mph on any but the smoothest roads.

Simply going back to the factory sized Michelins has fixed my death wobbles (YMMV). Not one episode since the switch over a year ago. Personally, I don't mind the small look of the 245's (?). I can't see them when I'm driving anyway.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:04 AM

Yes there is many a post on here regarding the death wobble, that is how i was able to get the idea about the castor, and it works perfectly. BTW mine came with 265's stock, how come yours is so small?
Old 09-12-2006, 09:55 AM

Had the death wobble with 35's and 2" Daystars. Added a set of Rancho RS9000's and problem went away.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by bigdav160
There are many threads on this issue within this forum. Although many are adamant they know the cause there doesn't seem to be a consensus.

My '03 developed severe death wobble with a 2" leveling kit and 315 BFG's. You couldn't drive the truck at 70mph on any but the smoothest roads.

Simply going back to the factory sized Michelins has fixed my death wobbles (YMMV). Not one episode since the switch over a year ago. Personally, I don't mind the small look of the 245's (?). I can't see them when I'm driving anyway.
Yeah I searched, and read quite a few threads, but like you said, there isnt a deffinant answer, and I know there cant be since there are many varibles that cause it.

The stockers are just way too small for my taste, Id like at least 285s/295s, maybe 305s, and considered 315s. The 265s dont even come close to filling out the wheel well, or stick out enough to protect some of the rim, nor a wide enough tread section...

I like the 33s, but 35s fill up the wells and look a great deal better...

Ill probably go with the Thuren track bar, rancho shocks, check all the ball joints, and get it aligned with 4.5-5* caster and see how it works out...

Just wish that Chrysler had addressed this before all the issues since, but cant do anything about spilt milk....
Old 09-12-2006, 11:36 AM

I have Toyo 325's with the stock suspension and no death wobble. I pick up my truck this afternoon from the shop with the new Thuren suspension. I'll let you know if I have any problems after the lift.
Old 09-12-2006, 12:34 PM

I had 315's on my truck from day one. I started to get death wobble around 90,000km. I changed my shocks with KYB's, (couldn't find Bilsteins), and it went away.
Old 09-12-2006, 01:09 PM

I installed a 2" Revtek leveling kit, Bilstein 5100 shocks, 315 Hankook Dynapro MT RT03, and had an alignment done at a reputable shop when my truck had 17,000 miles on it. 3,500 miles later, not a hint of death wobble. I did the same, only with 285 tires, on my '01, and it was great for the 38,000 miles that I had it that way. **In my opinion** the isolator and spring needs to be positioned exactly how they came out, a proper alignment must be done, and the tires need to be balanced correctly. I think that an adjustable trac bar, longer sway bar links, or anything else could only help. I would think that hitting potholes in the “fine” Missouri roads on a daily basis going 80 mph would cause DW, but so-far-so-good!

Nick
Old 09-12-2006, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Nick660
I installed a 2" Revtek leveling kit, Bilstein 5100 shocks, 315 Hankook Dynapro MT RT03, and had an alignment done at a reputable shop when my truck had 17,000 miles on it. 3,500 miles later, not a hint of death wobble. I did the same, only with 285 tires, on my '01, and it was great for the 38,000 miles that I had it that way. **In my opinion** the isolator and spring needs to be positioned exactly how they came out, a proper alignment must be done, and the tires need to be balanced correctly. I think that an adjustable trac bar, longer sway bar links, or anything else could only help. I would think that hitting potholes in the “fine” Missouri roads on a daily basis going 80 mph would cause DW, but so-far-so-good!

Nick
Cool, any pics of the new tires/leveling kit?
And how are you liking the tires so far, any uneven wear, noise?
Old 09-12-2006, 02:06 PM

I've got some crappy pics in my gallery. With 3,500 miles they are showing no signs of wear, and have gotten quieter for some reason... my girlfriend even thinks so, and she's picky! They were kind of squirmy for about 1000 miles, but after that, they're great! So far I’d buy them again! Oh… when I get my truck all shined-up and purty, I get a lot of complements on the treads!
Old 09-12-2006, 02:36 PM

Thumbs up

Picked up the truck. Got her up to 60 mph on the way home (city streets so I couldn't go too fast) and no signs of death wobble.

I post some picks after I dirty up the truck some...
Old 09-12-2006, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by ptgarcia
Picked up the truck. Got her up to 60 mph on the way home (city streets so I couldn't go too fast) and no signs of death wobble.

I post some picks after I dirty up the truck some...
Cool!

So you just went with springs and thuren track bar?

Stock control arms? And they were able to get it near 4.5-5.5* caster?
Old 09-12-2006, 02:57 PM

i ran 315 bfg's for 51k miles until they wore out ... stock rims and suspension and a pretty high percentage of that on WV back country gravel roads

it always cracks me up when internet experts blame bfgs for a suspension problem ...

they came stock on h2's and they didn't have a rash of death wobble ...

bigger tires will increase the stress on stock parts for sure, especially if you use the bigger tires for their intended purpose ... but to blame the tires is silly
Old 09-12-2006, 03:09 PM

Cool!

So you just went with springs and thuren track bar?

Stock control arms? And they were able to get it near 4.5-5.5* caster?

I got Don's springs, shock towers and track bar; King shocks, and Carli's sway bar end links.

You know, I assume the shop was able to align to the specs, they didn't give me a printout, but its a reputable shop that does a lot of high dollar stuff and the owner whould have told me if they had a problem. And it tracks straight as an arrow.

Quick Reply: 315s (or larger) and the Death Wobble