3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

3" level and Bilsteins installed - pics inside

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 10:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
3" level and Bilsteins installed - pics inside

Well, this past weekend I got around to installing a set of TopGunCustomz 3" coil spacers, 2" Skyjacker rear add-a-leafs, and Bilstein 5100s all around. The install wasn't as seemless as I had hoped, but I got it done nonetheless. I also ordered a track bar drop bracket, but it hasn't arrived yet. I feel the Bilsteins are worth the money. They did improve the overall ride...to me they took away some of the harshness of bumps and pot holes.

The following 3 pictures are just a good look at my truck post install in my office's parking lot:

The next pic shows where the wheel is positioned in the wheel well. I didn't think that new control arms were necessary just yet to center the wheel.

The next three pics show how the front axle is shifted to the driver's side when you do not have a track bar drop bracket or longer track bar. My bracket should be in tomorrow hopefully.

All of these pics are in my gallery in case anyone has a problem viewing them in this post. Thanks to Cowhand and PWT05Dodge for answering some questions that I had. And props to my friend Megan for helping through the install.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow looks great. What did it end up costing you, how did you get the spacers in any special tricks? I installed 2 inch spacers on my old truck but that was with a lift.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by OldSmokey
Wow looks great. What did it end up costing you, how did you get the spacers in any special tricks? I installed 2 inch spacers on my old truck but that was with a lift.
3" spacers - $90
2" add-a-leafs - $60
4 Bilsteins - $320
track bar drop bracket - $75

Getting the spacers and coils back in was real fun Put two jack stands under the frame...almost as high as they will go. Support the axle with a jack. Undo the track bar bolt, sway bar bolts, and shocks. Remove shocks. Let the jack down to put the axle at full droop. Coils will fall out then. Put in the spacers and coil...then reassemble. My advise would be to rent a strut compressor from an auto parts store. It has two pieces that go on the outside of the spring to compress it. This worked much better than any spring compressor that I could find.

It's an easy job, but I found it just a tad harder to get the 3" spacer and coil back in than working with 2" spacers.
Old 05-19-2006, 06:38 AM

I just installed a set of 2" levelers and I just undid the sway bar(after bending the end link, and those cost about $80 bucks from Dodge) and then used my trucks jack from under seat between axle and frame and jacked my axle down to install springs.Worked fine.
Old 05-19-2006, 07:45 AM

Looks good, not sure you need to worry about the axle position. it is in its "stock" location due to the suspension travel, after you added the lift.

But after you get that done, I would be interested to know what you think about it.

The front springs can be a bugger, I have done mine a couple times.

I like your window tint also, did you do all the windows? or just the fronts and the windshield? I also like that you dont have the slider. they seem like a waste in these "crew cab" trucks.
Old 05-19-2006, 08:17 AM
tcr

NICE!!! I really like the BEEF LP!
Old 05-19-2006, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by nriver
Looks good, not sure you need to worry about the axle position. it is in its "stock" location due to the suspension travel, after you added the lift.

But after you get that done, I would be interested to know what you think about it.

The front springs can be a bugger, I have done mine a couple times.

I like your window tint also, did you do all the windows? or just the fronts and the windshield? I also like that you dont have the slider. they seem like a waste in these "crew cab" trucks.
All of the windows are tinted. The rear doors and back glass have 20% over the factory smoked glass. The front doors have 15% on them. The windshield has a 5% eyebrow strip. I think I am going to re-do the front doors to match the rear glass...might even do the entire windshield with light shade.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by tcr
NICE!!! I really like the BEEF LP!
Yep...my in-laws are cattle ranchers....I try to support them however I can. That license plate and eating steaks are the easiest ways for me to do so
Old 05-19-2006, 10:06 AM

Looks GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What size BFG's???????????????????????????????
Old 05-19-2006, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by ***700
Looks GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What size BFG's???????????????????????????????
315/70/17

when they are done I'm gonna cram some 37s in there
Old 05-19-2006, 11:19 AM

Looks good. Hopefully I'll get mine installed this weekend.
Old 05-19-2006, 04:30 PM

Truck looks good man!! And the 3" spacers are a pita... much more so than a set of 2" spacers. Stupid 1".... but well worth the effort. (HA!, thats what she said!! )

Let me know what you think of the drop bracket when you get it. Enjoy the truck.
Old 05-20-2006, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by njmaier
All of the windows are tinted. The rear doors and back glass have 20% over the factory smoked glass. The front doors have 15% on them. The windshield has a 5% eyebrow strip. I think I am going to re-do the front doors to match the rear glass...might even do the entire windshield with light shade.
thanks, thought you had more than I do going on there. I think I need more now. looks nice.