3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

3 Box questions for today - more probably to follow

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 Box questions for today - more probably to follow

Which box gives the best low end/off idle power without increasing the rail pressure?

Which box gives the best low end/off idle power without increasing the rail pressure too much?

Which box gives the best low end/off idle power transition to midrange?
Old 04-05-2006, 12:30 PM
Banned

TST w/Twins.

TST w/Twins.

TST w/Twins.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:51 PM

The TST is really not all that powerful until you build boost. That is why it kills turbos. You can be cruising down the highway and nail it, the truck will run good and then it is almost like a 2 stroke with all of the power.

I have a TST regular and a TST twins. The twins come on a little faster, but it still needs a lot of boost to make the power.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:18 PM

The TST early twins is almost like an on/off switch. It begins fueling at 4psi and is "all in" by 12psi. It will definitely kill a stock turbo. And smoke a lot! I run this now with a SPS66. The TST is stacked with either a MP-8 or EZ. The pressure helps with the 0psi-4psi, and I'm sure on the high end too.

The regular program fuels at 4psi and is "all in" by about 24psi. More manageable, but still may kill a stock turbo. I think I'm going to switch to this program, it might be a bit more pleasant to drive.

The regular program begins at 12psi and is "all in" by 28psi. This works best with a stock turbo. It can be annoying waiting for 12psi to get additional fueling.

Stacking with a pressure box, especially with the Ramifier/MP-8 helps a lot. You need to plug the MP-8 into the MAP, and the TST into the MP-8. The TST then reads the MP-8's MAP output, which is actually giving higher boost readings at low manifold pressures. This effectively gets the TST to add fuel sooner by about 3-5psi. Additionally it makes the ECM add timing sooner. The combo works pretty well, but it can be a bit smoky.

The EZ works well, too, but with my truck I'm stuck with 1 setting at a time, so I prefer the adjustable MP-8.

If Quad had a stackable box I'd be running it. I had both the regular and race modules and enjoyed their performance very much, but had to switch to a Ramifier/MP-8 when I went to the TST.

On edit:

As far as pressure, it seems that the EZ on level 2 (50hp) is a safe level of rail pressure. Anything higher will cause premature injector wear/failure long-term.

The MP-8 is not supposed to raise the pressure over 26k psi, but I have no way to verify this. Same with Quad's stuff. Doesn't matter, though, because you can turn both of these down when you don't need the power. Only turn up the pressure to dyno or race, or to smoke out a ricer.