3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

2nd injector, no warranty

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2nd injector, no warranty

Ok took my truck in for injector leaking again toaday. last time was a little over a month ago. Was #5 now #3. All i have is a quad race box and a bahf as far as engine modifications go. Not even a muffler yet. 21k miles on the truck and one fuel filter change 10k ago. I have guages as well. well long story short they wont warrnatee it again due to chyrsler.
I want to know is if i dissconnect it and still have more injector problems, " an uncommon problem", would i just be better off going with some flux tips? im already looking into more filtration. im so sick of buying a vehicle that has some system substandard. electrical inadequicies on my jeep and fuel system shortcomings with this truck.

Anyways, let me try and back out of my paper venting bag and ask where would you go from here? I see three options.
One take of the chip and leave the nonsense behind for warrantee.
two, Pay for it this time and then take it off if it happens again and play dumb ( they do it all the time! "injectors arent a common problem".
or three fork over the money in upgrades for parts that may or may not fix and or last and are certainly without warrantee and with my luck will cause a chain reaction to daily driver meltdown. (that took 7 years wiht the jeep)
or four try and argue with them to cover it. (its not the dealer so much as chyrslyer releasing the part.
As i see it im out the door 750 or so i was told. the lone injector was 560 or so he said.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Ramtough
Ok took my truck in for injector leaking again toaday. last time was a little over a month ago. Was #5 now #3. All i have is a quad race box and a bahf as far as engine modifications go. Not even a muffler yet. 21k miles on the truck and one fuel filter change 10k ago. I have guages as well. well long story short they wont warrnatee it again due to chyrsler.
I want to know is if i dissconnect it and still have more injector problems, " an uncommon problem", would i just be better off going with some flux tips? im already looking into more filtration. im so sick of buying a vehicle that has some system substandard. electrical inadequicies on my jeep and fuel system shortcomings with this truck.

Anyways, let me try and back out of my paper venting bag and ask where would you go from here? I see three options.
One take of the chip and leave the nonsense behind for warrantee.
two, Pay for it this time and then take it off if it happens again and play dumb ( they do it all the time! "injectors arent a common problem".
or three fork over the money in upgrades for parts that may or may not fix and or last and are certainly without warrantee and with my luck will cause a chain reaction to daily driver meltdown. (that took 7 years wiht the jeep)
or four try and argue with them to cover it. (its not the dealer so much as chyrslyer releasing the part.
As i see it im out the door 750 or so i was told. the lone injector was 560 or so he said.
You may not like what I have to say but I would leave the truck stock if you want it covered by Dodge.
The old saying is "If you play you need to pay" has been talked about around here a lot.
I was real lucky when Dodge put a new motor in my 96 at about 95K on the ticker for 100$ because the head bolts broke for no reason, but it was stock so they covered it.
Stuff will happen and who knows what the cause is, but if you change something that makes it better for you may take it over the limit it was built to work. I would love to do some mods to mine but will wait tell it makes the 7 year or 100k miles that Dodge warrent it to.
Jon
Old 08-23-2006, 03:22 PM

Did you take it in with the race box on the truck?????
Old 08-23-2006, 04:40 PM

Keep in mind that aftermarket injectors are just the nozzles not the injector body. If you have problem injectors, I wouldn't buy nozzels, and I would probably ditch the box also.

I personally don't think that the common rail injectors are up to snuff. At the least problems with them are not rare, even on stock trucks. And especially on modded trucks. I wish we could get some semi bullet proof, aftermarket, injector bodies.

Judging by posts it looks like the DMax injector troubles are much better lately and the Cummins a little worse, thats just an impression not fact. If so its odd since Bosch makes both injectors and theyr'e both common rails.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:57 PM

Was on a G.M. site last night and the goings on about injectors and how many replaced on post after post.Sounded pretty bad to me.One poster had 32 total so far.Another 24 etc. They were wondering if the DODGES were going thru them as bad as they were.
Old 08-23-2006, 05:33 PM

I thought they went with a lower micron fuel filter for the Duramax...something like a 3 micron?
Old 08-23-2006, 06:28 PM

I'll look into that.Don't know.I thought that that system with not having a lift pump would have even more issues pulling fuel through that tight a filter media with out a another pump(lift)added to the system.I need to log into one of their sites.I mainly read them late night when I can't sleep.Just last night I read about LOTS of injector woes and recent posts.More then I've ever seen before on that issue.Some were hot that yes G.M. was warrantying them fairly easily,it was the down time,failure in the middle of trips,nowwhere USA and every so many miles knowing they were going to have more fail and so on.
Old 08-25-2006, 05:17 PM

ok truck will be done monday, almost one full week again. If i was sure that taking the box off would indeed stop injector failures and give me a dc warranty on them i would say ok. i need a reliable truck more than a hopped up one. Unfortunately i think i will be looking into better filtration no matter the case .
Old 08-25-2006, 05:47 PM

G.M. had a recall on the DURAMAX filters.Trying to find out what MICRON the recall filter is.Stopped at a Chevy store and first Service advisor said it was a recall allright but not for filtering but did not know the reason.Found the DIESEL/TRUCK tech there.He SAID oh yes it was but nothing anywhere told him/them what micron rating it was dropped to.Little Chevy store and Diesel tech said they keep injectors in stock for the differant year models and THIS was ONE of the FIRST weeks he had not replaced any.Said he had been cutting open the old fuel filters and comminted about finding LOTS of NASTY stuff in them for the last SEVERAL YEARS!
Old 08-25-2006, 09:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
their was a filter recall and the filter should be a 2 or 3 per bousch recomendations and until they put a betterm filtering system on these trucks their will be problems the box dont cause them but speed up the process due to adding more pressure to the system even tho they are in specs. i know this because i've on my 3rd set of injectors and as far as play and pay yea when you do something stupid i agree but when the manufacture cant do it right then they should pay twice as much
Old 08-26-2006, 04:10 AM

If its a 2 micron how are they(DuraMax)getting the fuel through them WITHOUT a LIFT pump and the DODGES won't WITH a lift pump?
Old 08-26-2006, 07:16 AM

For $560 I hope you get to keep the "bad" injector. Send the bad ones to II and see what they can do with them...a rebuilt injector is usually around $150 or a little more from II. ks