3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

2nd gen exhaust manifold, should i do it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 03:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question 2nd gen exhaust manifold, should i do it?

levigarrett, you got me wanting to do an experiment of my own. I would love to make my truck sound smoother and more like a old 24v, don't care about gaining or losing power, truck runs great as it is. And I know it sounds heavenly too. But I wanna lose the common rail sound and really have some ppl scratching their heads.

Now I know theres alot more to it that just finding one and slapping it on. From what i gathered the turbo will be raised and rotated. So new intercooler boot (custom), downpipe (hx-40 work?), and possibly oil return lines.
My problem is I don't know where to start to even get these parts (intercooler boot mainly). Does it have to be a specific yr branch of 2nd gen manifolds?

Levi I need your help man.

Should I do it?
Old 07-01-2009, 05:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I say do it. I think you need to find a manifold from a 98.5-2002, an HX-40 downpipe, you could probably just modify your intake tubing to fit. People say that it sounds better with a bigger turbo. If you end up doing it, make sure to post a video. And pics. Good luck.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:43 PM

when I did mine I just got a gen 2 hx40 down pipe and had to modify it a little, for the oil drain I found one from a 4bt that was just like the flexable stock one just longer (I can't find the p/n) for the cold pipe I just cut my stock one down and twisted it a little, oil feed the stock one worked just fine. Hope this helps some
Old 07-01-2009, 07:51 PM

Thanks guys for the input. Haven't gathered a wealth of info, just some, ya'lls input really clarifies it.

So the intercooler boot can be reused? On the intake, I have the AFE stg 2, do ya'll think it can be modified or do I need to reuse my stock tube? Big C if you find that p/n please let me know.

Also if anyone has a 2nd gen manifold from a 98.5-02 or know where i can get one cheap please Pm me.

Levi, when you see this, I'd like your input as well, since it was really your vid that convinced me to ponder on it.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:25 PM

When I did mine, I got a 2nd gen manifold for free, but ordered a 2nd gen HX-40 Dp and welded my 3rd gen flange on it, longer oil drain line (make sure you use hose that oil approved), needed to make a longer stock feed line ( but thats cause I didnt like how stretched mine was), cut 2-2.5 inches of the cold pipe, and made a custom intake from 4" exhaust pipe.

Even thought it sounds like alot of work....its so worth it in the end. My turbo spools WAY better and the Hybrid 24v sound is awesome.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:39 PM

Any videos to show the sound?
Old 07-01-2009, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by 2007 5.9
When I did mine, I got a 2nd gen manifold for free, but ordered a 2nd gen HX-40 Dp and welded my 3rd gen flange on it, longer oil drain line (make sure you use hose that oil approved), needed to make a longer stock feed line ( but thats cause I didnt like how stretched mine was), cut 2-2.5 inches of the cold pipe, and made a custom intake from 4" exhaust pipe.

Even thought it sounds like alot of work....its so worth it in the end. My turbo spools WAY better and the Hybrid 24v sound is awesome.

That is exactly what i wanted, didnt' think it would help out on spoolup!!! Do you have any issues using exhaust pipe for a cold air tube? Sorry for all the questions, I wanna be prepared.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by rip 112
That is exactly what i wanted, didnt' think it would help out on spoolup!!! Do you have any issues using exhaust pipe for a cold air tube? Sorry for all the questions, I wanna be prepared.
Spool up is emense, I used to have quite a bit of lag with my ubertight converter, but now it spools in half the time.

I am planning on redoing my intake with something else than exhaust pipe (transfers heat from compressor inlet to air cleaner too much, even wrapped in header wrap), not sure what will work better but will post when I do.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:05 PM

Found a manifold for $168 shipped, says its a brand new replacement part. Seen it on partstrain.com. I'll probably look a little harder and see if I can find any cheaper.

any ideas?
Old 07-02-2009, 11:15 PM

Have you checked the classifieds on the forums to look for a used one? A guy on the cumminsforum has one for $75.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:19 PM

Was none I could find on here, I will go look on the cummins forum, guess I should become a member in the process since I'm already a member at CompD too. If anyone knows of one laying around, let me know, I'm here on the forums nearly everyday. Boy am I addicted.
Old 07-03-2009, 07:53 PM

I found mine on the classifieds, got a 24v intake horn and exhaust manifold for 75 bucks shipped.

I got all my parts from power by poole in north carolina. I just cut my intercooler pipe about 2 inches, got a longer version of the stock turbo oil drain, i dont have the part number either, 2nd gen hx-40 downpipe, new gaskets, I cant comment on an improvement in spoolup because i went to a larger turbo at the saem time, but olee at power by poole said he sees an increase in spoolup swapping to a 2nd gen manifold.

I did not have to modify my downpipe, but i am using a 2nd gen turbo

just take your time to find a good used manifold....stay away from the "new" chineese cast versions for 100-150 bucks

you will love the sound!!! ITs not quite like a 24v, but it gets rid of the nasty ricer sound....i love mine!!!

sounds like a real diesel
Old 07-03-2009, 08:03 PM

Thanks man, been needing your input on what actually has to be done. I will be taking my time, I'm trying to get rid of my YFZ450 first so I have a little spending money. I reeally want to make my truck sound distinct, and being the 03-04 trucks and 04.5-07 trucks sound quite different I think it will sound different than ya'lls. I think I will keep both of my mufflers on, should be a recipe for an ultra-smooth sounding tone, no raspiness and hopefully no drone.

I figured those replacements were cheap for a reson.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:34 AM

should sound very nice....one of these days i will get my 40" donaldson put on mine, should be a nice smooth sound

Yea find a good used manifold...just make sure there are no cracks!!
Old 07-04-2009, 11:16 AM

Im going to do it, whenever I upgrade turbos...

Heres a little writeup with some pics on a friend of mines truck...

http://www.competitiondiesel.com/for...ad.php?t=47512

Quick Reply: 2nd gen exhaust manifold, should i do it?