3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

25k+ gross 950 miles @ 80 mph

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OD...except for the occassional flogging in 3rd to get boost back up/fight surge. The Aurora 5000 like rpms/airflow. If it gets loaded to hard under 2000 rpm's...it will start to surge. If I was caught at 75 mph on a long hard hill...headwind ect...I might have to drop into 3rd (nice to have the controller so the converter does not unlock!) and redline it for a second to get back to 76-77 mph and the rpm's over 2000 then shift back to OD and then the truck would easily accellerate back to 80-85 without temps exceeding 1350.

Like I said...the twins would have made it easier on the driver...but I still got it done with the single. I think the right cam would fix the surge big time...or at least push it to a little lower RPM which would be easier to avoid.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:17 PM
Banned

Yep, you guys are right and I'm wrong!!! I've only been hauling horses and other livestock for almost 30 years now, but I don't know what the firetruck I'm talking about!!! When you're hauling living animals as much as I do, you had better get them to the show/market in one piece without being stressed or injured because of driver stupidity or nobody will hire you thereafter.

I agree with many of you that straight line flat country hauling, you can put the pedal to the metal!!! But is it wise to do so???? What if you have a blow out, a deer runs in front of your truck, a car does something stupid in front of you, etc., etc.,!!!! You cannot tell me that in an emergency braking or evasion manuver you can, with reasonable certainty, keep said vehicle in control at the speeds you say you are driving!!!! That is the point I was making!!!!

If you're driving alone and don't give a rat's behind.........whatever!!!! But if you are driving with another person or persons what then????? What about other drivers in other vehicles that would, in essence, be innocent bystanders??? It's in everyones interest, when hauling those kinds of weights with a "single rear wheel truck" at that, to slow down a fair bit!!! Just my .02 cents. Not that it matters any. Glad you all drive out west!!!! Take care and hope nothing happens to you all!!
Old 08-01-2006, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by SupaDupa
What if you have a blow out, a deer runs in front of your truck, a car does something stupid in front of you, etc., etc.,!!!! You cannot tell me that in an emergency braking or evasion manuver you can, with reasonable certainty, keep said vehicle in control at the speeds you say you are driving!!!! That is the point I was making!!!!
<Admin edit >
You've already been asked to start another thread if you want to bash...
Old 08-01-2006, 04:56 PM
Banned

I think from now on, I'll hang out on the "other, better forums". Who the heck was "bashing"???? I have an opinion about something. If you can't handle my opinion, that's your problem not mine!!!

Last edited by Shovelhead; 08-01-2006 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Removing personal attacks
Old 08-01-2006, 05:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SupaDupa
I think from now on, I'll hang out on the "other, better forums". Who the heck was "bashing"???? I have an opinion about something. If you can't handle my opinion, that's your problem not mine!!!
Wow - that's a thinner skin than I've seen on a new potato...
Old 08-01-2006, 05:20 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've done my share of crazy driving, but I'll have to agree with Supa on this on.
Old 08-01-2006, 05:22 PM

We actually did loose a tire on the older stock trailer...didn't even wake the 1.5 month colt.

Part of the reason we did have to travel that fast was because of the heat, no scheduled layovers, and just in general for the wellbeaing for the horses. They had to spend 15 hours in the trailer...started at 4 in the morning when it was cooler...and got them to their new home in the sunlight so it was possible to unload and get them properly situated.

I am aware of the increased risk...but was also more aware of my other concerns.

All of these animals are or will be national champs...arabians...one of which was imported from spain at $XXX,XXX.

Thanks for you concern. This is a truck post...not a humane society one.
Old 08-01-2006, 05:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cquestad
We actually did loose a tire on the older stock trailer...didn't even wake the 1.5 month colt.

Part of the reason we did have to travel that fast was because of the heat, no scheduled layovers, and just in general for the wellbeaing for the horses. They had to spend 15 hours in the trailer...started at 4 in the morning when it was cooler...and got them to their new home in the sunlight so it was possible to unload and get them properly situated.

I am aware of the increased risk...but was also more aware of my other concerns.

All of these animals are or will be national champs...arabians...one of which was imported from spain at $XXX,XXX.

Thanks for you concern. This is a truck post...not a humane society one.

First off, thanks for acknowledging my concerns!!! I've probably got many more miles hauling livestock alone than many of you do driving!!!! I do understand the heat/weather related issues also; but you still need to arrive safe or what's the use????? And I ain't no humane society zealout either!!! So don't go there. For me, PETA stands for, "people eating tasty animals"!!!! I do haul trailers empty at the speeds you wrote about, but almost never with animals in them; for the reasons I think I've made clear. And yes, I have driven plenty out west, so I do know the terrain/country!! Also, I lived in Texas, so driving fast is/was common. IMO, you just need to slow down a bit with those large loads. I didn't mean it as a personal attack as some of the posters here have made it out to be!!! Get over it guys!!!

Last edited by Shovelhead; 08-01-2006 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Admin edit personal attacks
Old 08-01-2006, 06:02 PM

well now that allthat is figured out how about that truck. i know you said it took two years for the article but i read it and was intrested in the 5000 turbo i kinda thought that would be big for a single especialy on an auto. but it sounds like it works great, how well do you think it be with a stick?
Old 08-01-2006, 06:12 PM

Depends on your elevation and fueling...and desired use.

The turbo kicks butt for 1/4's, sled hooks, street rights, dyno's...

It is a little rough around the edges for heavy loads, high elevations and low rpm's. But what large single doesn't?

I did ask for the "saftey crowd" to keep their opinions elsewhere...but appartently that was not going to happen. The only real "TOOLS" here are those spreading unwanted opinions.

Remember...miles alone don't make anyone a good driver, have better judgement, or a better person. I know plenty of "over the road" fools.
More than good drivers.

Back to the subject.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:25 PM

i mostly just drive mine to and from work and every so often put a ford or rice burner in their place . but other than pulling small loads thats it, and w/the stick i figured putting the boost were i want it around town would not be a problem. now just need to figure wich one to get.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:37 PM

You need 500 hp min of fuel.