3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

2006 3500 dually, just started modding and have questions...

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 08:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 3500 dually, just started modding and have questions...

Hey everyone, My work truck is an 06 3500 dually with 29k on the odometer that I purchased new over a year ago and just now decided to mod a little. I just ordered the Smarty tuner from DTR and also did a cat/muffler delete. May get an airbox next week. Who knows what after that...

Anyway, I know when you start adding power that the tranny is the weak point. My transmission right now works fine. Like I said this is my work truck so I hate to risk grenading the stock transmission and it being down for a week or more while I wait for a Suncoast or HTS, ect... But I also hate spending thousands of dollars replacing something thats not broke "yet". I was wondering if just purchasing a better tq converter and flex plate for now would be wise or a waste of time without the upgraded transmission. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rog

Old 06-22-2007, 08:31 AM
Banned

usually the min to do is the tc/vb. on alot of guys trucks they are running over 500hp on that combo. dont forget to upgrade your fuel system at some point. fill out your sig so everyone know what you are running and welcome

brett
Old 06-22-2007, 08:32 AM

I wouldnt bother much with a convertor or flexplate till you build the transmission, just because the stronger flexplate wont really do anything to help the stock tranny from slipping when it gives up to the ghost.
If anything id save up for a transmission from the get-go.
Also too, if you tow as much as is in the pic(and more), might be another good reason to save up for the trans.

Where are you located?
As much as id like to start spouting off tranny shops, I think you are better off finding one close to you, that answers all your questions and seems reputable, vs. one that you need to ship your transmission across the country too. Now if they are a dealer for other builders, thats great too. But having someone close that can work on it if anything happens is first on my priority list.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:43 AM

Didn't even realize I hadn't filled out any profile info yet. Im located in Raleigh, North Carolina. The load pictured above is also pulled atleast once or twice a week. 24,450 lbs with truck, trailer, and machine (I know this because NC DMV pulled me and weighed me back in October.)
Old 06-22-2007, 08:47 AM
Banned

With an auto you can do the TQ converter and valve body, and still hold the power, but you still risk snapping an input or output shaft, expecially when towing with alot of power. With an auto you kind-of do it all or nothing, but your chances are better at least doing the tq converter and vb.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by SPEEDSHIFT
With an auto you can do the TQ converter and valve body, and still hold the power, but you still risk snapping an input or output shaft, expecially when towing with alot of power.
You mention "towing" with alot of power. I for example would never tow on the level 9 setting of my Smarty tuner. In fact when I got it the other day, I set it high to just play around but set it back stock yesterday morning as I knew I had towing to do. So would you say I am safer in that case?
What Im worried about is breaking stuff just playing around on the street or perhaps running the occasional 1/4 mile. If I broke it while towing, it would only be because the part was "loosened up" before I hooked to the trailer...
Old 06-22-2007, 08:58 AM
Banned

do you have any gauges yet?

brett
Old 06-22-2007, 08:59 AM

Contact Timinva (TRE Diesel Performance). He's in Va beach, not too far from you, and he's an approved DTT transmission builder. He can have your trans out, rebuilt, and reinstalled in a few hours. All the Va and NC guys use him. He just installed a new clutch in my truck last weekend. I was in and out in less than 4 hours.......
Old 06-22-2007, 09:38 AM

Hey i got basically the same thing as you. I did i guess kinda a homemade cat/muffler delete. My muffler guy just took out the cat and muffler and put a piece of 4" in its place.

I havent done anything else but was thinking about the smarty. How is it working out for you. I pull a little 12' trailer and a 38.5' toyhauler with the toys in it.........
Old 06-22-2007, 09:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I highly recommend the commander
Old 06-22-2007, 12:08 PM

Yep when my tranny broke I was 1 month before I was running again. But I ordered it from Goerend and we all know how busy he is. The extra power you want to generate will cause rapid deterioration on your stock tranny. I believe the threshold is anything over 70hp you need a tranny upgrade. I first started my mods with the chip at 50,000 miles and everything ran good, but when I went to the programmer/chip stack at 75,000 miles thats when things turned around (input snapped). At 115,000 miles I did the whole tranny from Goerend (not bits and pieces). Now I don't think about when my tranny is going break anymore, its real strong and I can throw more hp at it now.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:19 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmmmm. Looks fimiliar...........

I don't see gauges in your signature, wait, I don't see a signature! (Fill that in, look in "user cp") This way we can all see what you have and such.

I would suggest some gauges or a monitor before you get too silly with the Smarty. I can pretty easily just about peg my EGT gauge if I hold it down on level 8 & 9 on the highway.

Man, you've got some good taste there with that particular truck.....
Old 06-22-2007, 04:42 PM

Gauges will be going in next week. I don't have them in my sig simply because i don't have them "yet"... Doing the standard pyrometer, trans temp, and boost.

sharkbaitracing, So far I LOVE the Smarty!!!!! I set it on Catcher 9 w/ added timing (170hp) and played a little on the street the other day and had a ball! Im set on level 1 or 2 right now for towing and general everyday driving. I look forward to the day where I wont have to worry too much about the tranny and will be able to drive more in the higher settings or add even MORE horsepower....

The only reason ive resisted the urge to mod the truck this long is I already have a 10 second 88 Mustang Gt with a 331. But there is no comparison to that feeling you get from having a big heavy dually roast em down blowing black smoke everywhere...
Old 06-22-2007, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Dragline
Gauges will be going in next week. I don't have them in my sig simply because i don't have them "yet"... Doing the standard pyrometer, trans temp, and boost.

sharkbaitracing, So far I LOVE the Smarty!!!!! I set it on Catcher 9 w/ added timing (170hp) and played a little on the street the other day and had a ball! Im set on level 1 or 2 right now for towing and general everyday driving. I look forward to the day where I wont have to worry too much about the tranny and will be able to drive more in the higher settings or add even MORE horsepower....

The only reason ive resisted the urge to mod the truck this long is I already have a 10 second 88 Mustang Gt with a 331. But there is no comparison to that feeling you get from having a big heavy dually roast em down blowing black smoke everywhere...
Yep, he's hooked!

Hay