3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

2003 Remote Starters...

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 02:09 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2003 Remote Starters...

Own a 2003 Ram 2500 5.9L automatic and looking for suggestions on remote starters that meet the following cirteria. Really more interested in a device that features a turbo delay or turbo timer but if a remote starter costs the same, I wouldn't mind having the extra start features!).

1) 1 way or 2-way.

2) No security features (already have an alarm).

3) Glow plug delay.

4) Turbo Timer Feature. (MOST IMPORTANT)

5) (Plug & play intallation... that's asking alot I know )
Old 10-15-2008, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the autopage. remote start, and when you press the run button and remove your key it will continue to run I have it set for 20 min. I preset the heater at night when I get out and the next morning when i start it its toasty warm. It also has a temp start that will start when the outside temp drops below the temp I have set. Also has a sensor on the window that my friends know about to tap when I'm parked and they want me to come out of a store and meet them.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:16 PM

That sounds pretty sweet... any idea how much the setup cost? The more I look into this, I may just stick with a turbo cooler (those with an actual timer vs temp sensing) Was surprised how inexpensive turbo coolers are... with any luck I'll get some leads on some trusted brands... would be great to find one that features key removal and doesn't require an engineer's dergree to install
Old 10-15-2008, 09:21 PM

I would like to know more about that autopage setup. Sounds like it is the ticket!
Old 10-16-2008, 10:15 AM

Here is the one I have. Note at the bottom of the page that this unit is designed for diesel's. It has a start delay for the heater grid to warm up.

http://www.autopageusa.com/t_inside....5-d28af84486d4
Old 10-16-2008, 10:32 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks For the Link!
Old 10-16-2008, 10:59 PM

Found it on ebay.... Cheap

http://cgi.ebay.com/AUTOPAGE-RS-900L...d=p3286.c0.m14
Old 10-17-2008, 07:09 AM

I have mine left over from my last truck. It was a very sweet setup, but I couldn't find a local installer to reinstall it in the new truck. So I guess that option is out now. Everyone that was a dealer (15 of them in Michigan) stopped selling / installing them. It's one of the newer 2 way LCD models with one LCD remote and one regular - an Autopage RS855 LCD. I'd sell it for $75 obo if someone wants it and thinks they can get it installed or can install it themselves. I'm not up to that.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:03 AM

CrashCade I don't want to sound like a typical business owner but why buy it from ebay? These are not install friendly, I do them for a living and can tell you installing a radio is about 100 times easier and most people screw them up when they try to do them themselves.
I don't know you so you may be an awesome installer, but answer a couple of simple questions:
1. Do you understand relays
2. Do you understand resistors through relays?
3. Do you know how to solder?
If you answered no to any of these don't try it yourself.

Buy one through an authorized dealer and have them do the install. That way you get the manufacturers warranty and the install warranty as well.

I have the Compustar 2w900FM-AS on my 03 and love it. It has a built in timer for wait to start and can do all of the functions you guys mentioned as well and the range is killer! It's listed as 3000' and I belive it could do it!

I would install this for around $499.99 on a 3rd gen dodge diesel so shop around and find a reputable shop and let them save you the grief!
Old 10-17-2008, 09:14 AM

CompuStar Pro P2W9000FMR is what I'm thinking about having installed. It has more features then the Viper and I read a review that said the range was better in them then the Viper with the same advertised range.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:01 PM

After some thought I've decided against a remote starter for the following reasons...

1) Diesels don't heat quick when idling durring the winter months in my neck of the woods. (Gasoline engines of course are a different story).

2) Since I wanna get the engine up to temp asap... I've decided $500+ for a remote starter would be much better spent on a Diesel fired coolant heater and much to my surprise, these coolant heaters can be operated via remote... Rock on!

Thanks for all the help folks!
Old 10-17-2008, 02:03 PM

I'm wondering if you can get one (or two) of the triggers to kick in the high speed idle feature on these trucks. Not sure what doing that would take though.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by precision1
CrashCade I don't want to sound like a typical business owner but why buy it from ebay? These are not install friendly, I do them for a living and can tell you installing a radio is about 100 times easier and most people screw them up when they try to do them themselves.
I don't know you so you may be an awesome installer, but answer a couple of simple questions:
1. Do you understand relays
2. Do you understand resistors through relays?
3. Do you know how to solder?
If you answered no to any of these don't try it yourself.

Buy one through an authorized dealer and have them do the install. That way you get the manufacturers warranty and the install warranty as well.

I have the Compustar 2w900FM-AS on my 03 and love it. It has a built in timer for wait to start and can do all of the functions you guys mentioned as well and the range is killer! It's listed as 3000' and I belive it could do it!

I would install this for around $499.99 on a 3rd gen dodge diesel so shop around and find a reputable shop and let them save you the grief!
Thanks for the heads up, I have always triewd to avoid alarm systems, but have ended up installing a few myself. Always kind of a head ache, but I am pretty sure I can figure this out. Not sure if it is worth that much of my time, though. Sometimes it is easier to pay a "professional" to just take care of it.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:14 PM

gpshemi
ive often wondered the same thing(even though i dont have that feature and to my understanding you cant get an 03 to do it??)...and also so itd turn on my heated seats too.. thatd be b**chin
Old 01-27-2009, 07:06 AM

Wouldn't the automatic high-idle kick in? Use a cold front, plugged in or not, the auto high idle will kick in, maybe later than sooner if its plugged, then just leave in 5 or so minutes. It's really only going to get up to temps the fastest once you get it moving. But atleast you have moving oil and slight warmth at that point.

Quick Reply: 2003 Remote Starters...