3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

2003 CR 5.9L, Does this Upgrade Path Sound Like a Good Plan

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 01:24 AM
BVA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 CR 5.9L, Turbo Upgrade Questions

I have a 2003 2WD 2500, and I use it mostly for towing and daily driving. I used to own a 2004.5 4x4 and I loved it... wish I didn't have to sell it a couple years ago.

I already have a nicely built trans, exhaust, intake and tuner, so I would like to up the HP and Torque a bit for towing. Ultimately I'd like to get about 350 to 400 hp. I know my truck stock was 250 hp, and supposedly the Quadzilla is supposed to be 40 or 70 hp upgrade depending on the Stage 1 or 2 that you select.

I have been told if I can get a 2004 and later turbo, it might be a nice upgrade to my current setup, so I was thinking of doing that, plus some 50hp or 90hp nozzles. I have a line on a super low mile 04 Turbo, it says Holset 4 on the housing, and I asked if it was a 2004.5, and all he said was that it had 10K miles and required a 4" downpipe (which I knew). Here is a picture of the turbo, can you tell me if this would be a decent upgrade for my truck, with a 4" downpipe?

Is this a worthwhile plan, will my S&B Intake bolt on to this turbo, and with the Quadzilla will it still work ok, or would I need to have Quadzilla send me a different tune?

The previous owner put the 4 exhaust on the truck, but he didn't put the 4" downpipe on it (maybe it would be worthless with the smaller turbo on my truck). I would like to put the 4" downpipe on the truck eventually anyway.

After I update the turbo, then I would plan to do the nozzles, as well as the BD Auxilliary Lift Pump to make sure that the pump stays healthy.

If I could get some opinions on the plan, that would be great.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:45 AM
Always a day late, and a dollar short.

Only one small issue. You won't have a functioning waste gate. If you don't already have a boost psi gauge, I would get one BEFORE you installed that turbo.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:17 AM
BVA

Yea, I did some reading and noticed that was an issue mentioned. I can manually adjust the wastegate rod though, and make sure that my boost doesn't exceed about 35psi, right? I do have a boost gauge as part of my Quadzilla, but probably looking to swap that out with a Smarty... not sure if the Smarty has the gauge display option or not.

Looking to see where I could pick one up at the same time as the turbo.

So, looking at the turbo above, does it look like the HE351 2004.5 and up turbo?

Also, is the main difference between my 250hp engine, and the higher hp engines in the 2004.5 and up, the turbo, or are there other mechanical differences?
Old 06-04-2012, 08:24 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
That is a 2004.5 and up HE351w turbo and it will add some air improvement over the stock he341w. Your S&B will bolt up no problem. You should get the 4" cast exhaust elbow with the turbo... then you'll require the 4" down pipe.

50hp stix with the quadzilla will work with that turbo. DO NOT even consider 90hp. That is far too big an injector for that turbo. Your current Quad tune will not be affected by the turbo change.

Your planned improvement is just fine for the power level desired.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:40 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
If you are buying the Quad, don't. Look into a Smarty Jr. It will bump that little SO motor's output to be equal to a 305/555 engine Smarty tune. I would also go with an Airdog 100. Very easty to install. I wouldn't worry about the injector upgrade until you need to have them freshened up. I would only do 50 hp tips then. Lastly, your gonna need some gauges before you do all this. EGT, Fuel Pressure, and Boost.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:10 PM
BVA

Thanks guys... I have the Quadzilla commander, so I have the gauges you mentioned, and my EGTs are fine with the Quadzilla as it is, but I just found out today that its a MileageMax that has been upgraded to the XZT+, so max stage is supposed to be 70hp.

If I get the Smarty Jr., I think I can use it with the Quadzilla Commander for the monitor, right? I think I read that I would just need to set the Quadzilla to its stock setting. I think I could also get the turbo shown above, or I've seen where guys are just running the boost elbow and max out my 341 to get about 35psi of total boost.

If I did that, is the output much closer to the 351 turbo, or would I just be better off doing the 351 up front? The guy wants $450 for the turbo, and it has 10K miles on it, trying to decide which is a better option.

Finally, any Smarty Jr for the 2003 up to 2005 will work?
Old 06-05-2012, 01:09 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Any smarty jr will work. The he341 is nowhere close to the he351. 35 psi is too high for the 341 as well. After 32 it is out of the map completely and you risk overspinning the turbo. How do you wish to manage risk becomes the question at hand. Yes, you 've seen guys do it... that does not make it recommendable. Any advice provided on a forum, at least in my mind, should be given as prudent. Not what "can or has been done". After all, it is your truck and $$ and not theirs. Besides, 32 psi from the 341 is not the same quality of air as 32 psi from the he351. (Boost is still a measurement of restriction, not the amount of air molecules provided)

your 341 is fine if you do nothing more than the Quad. If you want the 50hp injectors and a smarty jr on top of that, not only will you need the 351, the 351 is probably not enough turbo for your potential HP with everything turned up.

Trending Topics

Old 06-05-2012, 02:43 PM
BVA

That makes sense, and I kind of figured that to be the case. I have been on many forums for other turbo charged vehicles, and you always get the people that have pushed the limits in a lot of ways... some recommended, some just plain dumb.

So, I think the best plan now, is to move up to the HE351, get a 4" downpipe, and get a Smarty Jr, run the Quadzilla in stock mode, and use the tunes built into the Smarty for better performance.

Do you guys have any recommendations of where to buy the Smarty Jr., and if I buy one used, I just need to make sure that the tunes loaded are for a 2004.5 and newer cummins, right?

Thanks again for all of the help.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:16 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

You can buy one here at the DTR store and help support the forum. The price is standardized from the mfg so it is the same wherever you get it. Unless you see it cheaper on e-bay in which case the warranty is voided.

If you get used, the tune that is on there will work for you. But it wouldn't hurt to simply download the latest version from the MADS website.

good luck...