3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

2003 305/555 w/ smarty mileage vs power vs smoke..... 4.11 vs REVO vs TNT

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 09:55 AM

Location: Used to be missoula, montana: Now in Sonoma County California
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
thank you, for the responses.

like i said above i love the fueling curve of the TNT. I was playing with it last night and SW5 and SW7 on stock TQ management remind me of my old 12v. with TNT on mild or stock TQ managment i get little smoke off the line even with my trailer but if i wack the throttle its all there right now based on throttle position.

Also i should note with REVO i am also getting some detonation and popping occassionally with no consitancy and it varys when i download other times i have no issues........as soon as i hear anything like that i back off the throttle

I'll write bob with this, maybe by some long shot he'd be willing to let me try out ione of the older betas i'm kinda stuck, i could add some sticks which i know i need to do but even then i imagine the 4.11 would still cut off fueling at a certain point not far from where it does right now
Old 10-30-2008, 10:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
with the rip nickles...TCR and Boss said it...beta 4.2 sw#7 pull like sumgun
Old 10-30-2008, 11:40 AM

I have been running the tnt since it came out. Right now I have it on sw 6 tqm 4 rp3 and timing 3, I was running timing 2 but i got a loud rattle the other day at wide open throttle getting on the freeway. Around 2700 rpms. I have switched to timing 3, and it seems to be running fine. I tried revo and my truck didnt like it much. Throttle response on this setting is awesome, and i seem to be holding adequate rail pressure. I havent towed my toy hauler on these settings yet, curious to see how it runs. Plenty of power though.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:42 AM

What kind or rail pressure are you seeing at cruise with the 4.2? Is it a good towing tune? Which would be best for towing? I ran the 4.4 for some time, it ran good but mileage is way better with the tnt.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:56 AM

Id probably say the 4.4 is probably the best for towing since it was designed for it anyway. The 4.2 would blow for towing fo sho, and not quite sure about the 4.3 as Im still having too much fun with 4.2 to try it out yet, but I think the 4.3 is where it will be at for me.

I loaded the TNT a while back and it felt pretty stong, and since I didnt have all the supporting mods installed yet, I figured I'd wait until it was safer.

I did see a post a while back from Dunklan I think, that said it went in order from least power to greatest like this....4.4,tnt,4.2, TNT-R....something like that. For towing thats just a different story. I would think if you knew you were going to be towing a lot, use one of the more towing friendly programs, but if you decide to go to the track put on the 4.2 or TNT.
Old 10-30-2008, 12:19 PM

I did not know that 4.4 was designed for towing. I would like to try it. I liked 4.11 but I downloaded the mod TQ and thought for towing 13k 5er I should back off to mild. I waited for Revo. But I can not tow with Smarty revo 3 on timing 4. No power and too much detonation so I backed off to TM 2 but it just does not seem to have the low end of the 4.11 mod torque. I know this is not a "fair" comparisom because I am comparing 4.11 mod to revo mild torque.

The point I am trying to make is I need/like more low end. Does 4.4 come on sooner? I can not tow now because my daughter and son in law and grandaughter are living in my 5er since IKE put a tree in their house.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:17 PM

Location: Used to be missoula, montana: Now in Sonoma County California
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by shortbed rv
I did not know that 4.4 was designed for towing. I would like to try it. I liked 4.11 but I downloaded the mod TQ and thought for towing 13k 5er I should back off to mild. I waited for Revo. But I can not tow with Smarty revo 3 on timing 4. No power and too much detonation so I backed off to TM 2 but it just does not seem to have the low end of the 4.11 mod torque. I know this is not a "fair" comparisom because I am comparing 4.11 mod to revo mild torque.

The point I am trying to make is I need/like more low end. Does 4.4 come on sooner? I can not tow now because my daughter and son in law and grandaughter are living in my 5er since IKE put a tree in their house.
that is a fair comparison because thats partially whats being discussed, my 4.11 mild ramped up faster than REVO does and the detonation is pronpounced on the REVO and the TNT where as it wasnt on my 4.11 especially towing. i like the faster fueling curve when towing, i roll into the throttle and my if i need the extra fuel in a burst its there and the turbo lights right now. where as with some of the more gradual programs they are better when unloaded up with a load the fueling curve is less agressive and not as beneficial to the larger turbo crowd

IMHO
Old 11-11-2008, 02:42 PM

welcome back "BOB"
Could you answer a few questions.
1. Is beta 4.4 designed for towing? If so I would to try the beta.
2. What settings on revo is similar to 4.11. Several of us like the way 4.11 tows. the reason I have not gone back is, I downloaded mod torque and should be using mild.

Thanks for your help
Old 11-11-2008, 09:42 PM
Banned

if you liked 4.11 for towing, you'll be in love with 4.4!
Old 11-12-2008, 06:37 AM
tcr

Originally Posted by gus's 03
if you liked 4.11 for towing, you'll be in love with 4.4!
Are you missing the betas yet?
Old 11-12-2008, 09:30 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by shortbed rv
welcome back "BOB"
Could you answer a few questions.
1. Is beta 4.4 designed for towing? If so I would to try the beta.
2. What settings on revo is similar to 4.11. Several of us like the way 4.11 tows. the reason I have not gone back is, I downloaded mod torque and should be using mild.

Thanks for your help
Originally, when 4.4 came out, it was said to be the "towing/mileage" tune... I don't think that is true at all. 4.4 is a very powerful tune. Although I did use 4.4 to tow with, I kept it on lower levels. It did give good mileage when I stayed out of it though. If you want mild TM, you don't want 4.4. 4.4 is a lot like 4.2 except it is more linear in throttle response and is mod TM as opposed to wild TM on the 4.2. 4.2 is, in my opinion, only slightly more powerful on the upper end, if at all, than the 4.4.

All that said, the only issue I ever had on my 04 with any of the smarty programs was higher rpm popping from excessive timing on TNT/R. Marco gave me a TNT/R tune that eliminated that.

Smarty is the Fa-shizzle...
Old 11-12-2008, 09:46 AM
tcr

Originally Posted by soulezoo
Originally, when 4.4 came out, it was said to be the "towing/mileage" tune... I don't think that is true at all. 4.4 is a very powerful tune. Although I did use 4.4 to tow with, I kept it on lower levels. It did give good mileage when I stayed out of it though. If you want mild TM, you don't want 4.4. 4.4 is a lot like 4.2 except it is more linear in throttle response and is mod TM as opposed to wild TM on the 4.2. 4.2 is, in my opinion, only slightly more powerful on the upper end, if at all, than the 4.4.

All that said, the only issue I ever had on my 04 with any of the smarty programs was higher rpm popping from excessive timing on TNT/R. Marco gave me a TNT/R tune that eliminated that.

Smarty is the Fa-shizzle...
When did Marco send the version that doesn't pop or was it for you only? I'll have to get w/ Bob.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:01 AM

So any new news from the dyno time they had? Bob told me they were going to specifically address the 03/04 popping issues when Marco was here. An update would be nice.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:11 AM
tcr

Originally Posted by RonP
So any new news from the dyno time they had? Bob told me they were going to specifically address the 03/04 popping issues when Marco was here. An update would be nice.
I emailed Bob, I'll let you know.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:45 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tcr
When did Marco send the version that doesn't pop or was it for you only? I'll have to get w/ Bob.
It was for me only; however, I think the mod was just to reduce the timing even more on level 3. I got one of the first TNT/R's out too... (ver 53) and I know things have changed since then. (up to ver 56, maybe more now?)

I think to be sure for you, try level 4 (least timing, not to be confused with regular REVO where level 4 is most timing) and see if things clear up to your satisfaction. If that does work, then you know what to do.

Quick Reply: 2003 305/555 w/ smarty mileage vs power vs smoke..... 4.11 vs REVO vs TNT