3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

2003 305/555 w/ smarty mileage vs power vs smoke..... 4.11 vs REVO vs TNT

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 07:48 PM

Location: Used to be missoula, montana: Now in Sonoma County California
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 305/555 w/ smarty mileage vs power vs smoke..... 4.11 vs REVO vs TNT

With 4.11 x a or b i get minimal smoke minimal haze and gret milage on SW7 and 9

with REVO i get 2-3 mpg less with the same SW 7 or 9 no other changes
TQ management on stock or mild

and with the settings on stock or mild i get twice as much smoke and a lower total boost # of 34# instead of 37#. the smoke on revo in stock TQ mngment equivilent of 4.11 on moderate torque

with Revo SW 7 and 9 should be the same / similar as the old 4.11 but boy is there a profound difference with my tripple nickle in power and performance

Thinking of dabbling with tnt but i know I will be limited due to the in tank lift pump but i shouldnt be draining the rail if i stay out of the rail pressure settings.

I did notice with tnt plugged in i get similar mileage to my old 4.11 boost and seat of the pants is definately close also.

REVO sw 9 no rail pressure, mild tq management 33-34# boost 391hp/789tq temp 81* average fuel economy over 4000 miles 19.1 highway weekly average including city 17.2 12.1 towing

smarty 4.11 2.11b setting 9 mild torque managment 36-37# boost 407hp/826tq temp 85* fuel economy over 28000 miles 21.1 highway trips, weekly average including city 19.6, 13.8 towing

I can also add that with REVO either on SW7 or SW9 pulling willits grade on highway 101 with 15k-17k lbs in tow It does not maintain speed nor does it pull as hard as the 4.11 on either SW7 or SW9 you can not roll into the throttle and get any extra pull out of it where as with 4.11 i still can ask more of the go pedal

Towing only includes loads that were similar weight on same highways, same trailer same jeep on trailer. higway driving is trips from bay area up grades from 3000 ft in elevation to 8000 ft in elevation and back down steady 1600-1800 rpm multiple trips. hand calculated. fuel tank vent mod done so fill ups are very consistent.

So far dabbled with TNT SW3 no other revisions everything else on default.... it runs harder than 4.11 at 9 and Revo at 9, what i did notice though is that at WOT for more than 6-10 seconds around when you reach from 2600/2700 rpm to 3100 rpm it develops a very profound detonation piston rattle. very close to the rattle of a cold cummins at WOT..... anyways TNT mileage is very similar to my ols 4.11 but the detonation is going to be something to watch doubt i can tow with it doing that.... sure would like to though, the fueling curve on the tnt is much closer to what i wish revo would do throttle responsiveness is better than my 4.11 which is better than REVO

anyone towed with tnt? just currious cant be much diffrent than my old 12v days with big sticks and little turbos..... but is detonation an issue for anyone?

Anyone else with 03 tripple nickels seeing similar numbers? similar results? similar smoke? or smoke issues? similar 2700 rpm loud piston rattle on tnt?
Old 10-29-2008, 08:38 PM
tcr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't give you dyno proven #s, but my sop dyno told me the Revo has more on SW7 than the 4.11 had on any levels. The TNTs don't run right on my 555 either, welcome to the club, but their getting that fixed. My best performance came from the beta tunes. 4.2 and 4.3
Old 10-29-2008, 09:03 PM

I agree. I can't run the TNT without the truck freaking out with all the popping and bucking. Heck I even get it with the REVO if I use timing 4.

with that being said, I found the same as TCR, I run SW7, tm3, rp2, timing default and it runs awesome. I did go back and try the 4.11 thinking it was better, but I quickly changed back to the revo SW7 combo.

I hope they are working some bugs out with the 03/04 software.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:11 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RonP
I agree. I can't run the TNT without the truck freaking out with all the popping and bucking. Heck I even get it with the REVO if I use timing 4.

with that being said, I found the same as TCR, I run SW7, tm3, rp2, timing default and it runs awesome. I did go back and try the 4.11 thinking it was better, but I quickly changed back to the revo SW7 combo.

On Revo the timing 4 is fuel mileage timing (max timing). 1 is stock, 2 is timing added, 3 is timing added with aftermarket injectors. Revo/TNT has different timing setup. You can go to mads website, go to the download section, and read the two differnt PDF's instructions for each.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Spooler
On Revo the timing 4 is fuel mileage timing (max timing). 1 is stock, 2 is timing added, 3 is timing added with aftermarket injectors. Revo/TNT has different timing setup. You can go to mads website, go to the download section, and read the two differnt PDF's instructions for each.
yeah, I know all that quite well. This is a very well documented issue from numerous discussions on here. I know on Revo timing 4 is the most. Got it.

My point with that was that most only see it on the TNT. I see the issue with Revo, but only on timing 4.

With TNT loaded, it does it no matter what setting I try. There is an issue with it no doubt about it. Talked to Bob at length and he said they were going to try and figure it out.

Thanks
Old 10-29-2008, 09:30 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I got ya. I have the Revo/TNT dowloaded already and have never installed it. LOL The 4.11 was a great tune. I always ran it 4.11/mild TM/Aftermarket Turbo/Stock injectors on sw7, I never used sw9 until i went to the Revo software. I need to play around with the Revo some more.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:48 PM

I like the Revo and every time I hear somebody talk about the 4.11 I want to try it again. Who knows, I think I might just try 4.11 again on my next long trip.
You have the 325/600 so I don't think you guys have the popping issue.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with Tom, my best mileage and most fun comes from the betas, TNT never felt right for me either and the revo seemed like a step back for me from the betas, so I stick with them because they're proven. Last year these 4.x programs were the talk of the day, I don't think they're inferior to the TNT at all unless you are pushing for max power like 1000+.

I did like 4.11 on the stock turbo, but once I got the HTT on it was a dog to spool up and for that my mileage plummeted. The betas are touchy to the point that not much throttle is needed to get where you want, you get used to it then move to a program like revo and immediately feel the low end loss. I like getting 20mpg and the only programs that have done it have been the betas with a little help from the MP-8, the pressure seems to help alot for mileage as long as I don't over do it.

So ddstreul I know the betas weren't mentioned but I haven't had much luck with many of the programs, they are all acceptable, but I'm picky about what I want in a Daily Driver and quick response is the top of the list. Mileage is next.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yep, for some reason the '03-04's doesn't like the extra timing. I get popping with REVO timing #4 and TNT timing #2.

MikeyB
Old 10-30-2008, 07:57 AM

I am with ya Mikey. I guess my post above is not 100% correct. With the TNT it did it no matter what SW I tried. The timing was always on 2. I never tried anything else as far as timing goes because I was in fear of tearing the truck up so I just removed TNT.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by tcr
I can't give you dyno proven #s, but my sop dyno told me the Revo has more on SW7 than the 4.11 had on any levels. The TNTs don't run right on my 555 either, welcome to the club, but their getting that fixed. My best performance came from the beta tunes. 4.2 and 4.3
Originally Posted by RonP

So, I have to ask, are you saying Revo on sw7 is stronger than Revo on sw9?

I did not try sw7, went from 411 after market turbo/stock injector, wild tm, to Revo sw9 w/several different options, it was not as strong as the 411, so I went back to 411. I may have to give the Revo sw7 a shot.

My 03 does not like the TNT tune either, one in ten times it will flat get with the program, the other nine times it pops and bucks and does not sound good for the truck.

I also have the 4.2 and 4.3 beta's, 4.2 has too touchy of a throttle for every day driving, 4.3 did not seem any stonger than the 411, but produces alot more smoke and higher egts.

Sure hope they get the TNT figured out for our 03/04's, I like the low smoke and low egt's, and the ease in which it breaks loose my tires, just can't handle the glitches.

Jess
Old 10-30-2008, 08:53 AM

You really out to try lvl #7 like TCR is advising! He is right about lvl 7 being stronger than lvl 9. I couldnt believe it when he told me until I tried for myself. This was on 4.2 though. Currently Im running lvl 5 on 4.2 stacked with my Quad X2 and its working great and has better driveability than some of the other lvl's like 7 & 9.

I think it has to do with the fuel atomization. Our tripple nickles (555's) dont like the extra fueling I guess, and Im guessing here...but I think it has to do something with the lack of the 1 injection event. I think it henders our performance when using the full blow Smarty lvl 9.

I dont know fo sho tho!
Old 10-30-2008, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by tcr
This is the only reason why I havent switched to the smarty.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:01 AM

Ya but 4.2 and 4.3, I would venture to say, are probably already stronger than the Diablo your running. The TNT is just more power than that. I personally havent tried it yet because I dont want to hurt anything. We'll try it out later when my cam and springs go in.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:42 AM

I can't imagine using anything but a smarty from what it has done for my truck. I just think it is no easy task to cover every year/setup with a program. I am sure they will get it figured out.

As far as SW7 to SW9. My truck runs way better with Revo SW7. SW9 did nothing for it except burn more fuel. It actually felt a bit weaker as well.

Quick Reply: 2003 305/555 w/ smarty mileage vs power vs smoke..... 4.11 vs REVO vs TNT