3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

2 stroke Oil - Small Review

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah I am thinking about going to wally world and getting the 1 gallon jug for 8 bucks ...

YES as I looked at the empty bottle in my trashcan I notice that it was totally

TCW-3 Low Ash for use in marine engines.

I dont think that the 2 stroke is giving me my mileage increase now to think of it.

I am shooting more towards the PS additive.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:37 PM

I tried it for a while and my mileage dropped like a rock. I don't really think my injectors liked it much. Until we start hearing of a rash of dead fuel systems due to lack of lubrication then I will just assume that ULSD is doing just fine.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:15 AM

Iv been using the 2 stroke for about six months and the engine does idle quieter.
My nephew in law took a ride in the truck and asked me why it was so quiet compared to his boss s truck.
When I told him, he said he was going to let his boss know.
It seems to work for me quiet well.
I have mixed 10 oz PS with it as an experiment and havent noticed any dramatic change.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:39 PM

I was using 14-16oz of 2 stroke and stopped, about 4-5 tanks ago and now I can hear that engine rattle again. Sounds like the timing is a little to far advanced.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Link removed due to profanity

There's almost 100 pages of reading about 2 stroke oil in diesel fuel and a lot of research. Might answer a lot of questions. Happy reading.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:13 PM

The first time I ran TCW-3 in my tank my intown driving(thats the only driving ive been doing lately ) went from 14mpg to 16mpg. My engine had a smoother idle and it runs very quiet now...well...compared to just ULSD. I think when it has a good mixture of 2-stroke in the tank, its idle noise is quieter than my folks' 02 D-Max, which as some of you may remember,was advertised as the "quietest diesel ever" at the time.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:16 PM

There is alot of discussion on this oil around all of the www forums out there.
I am assume that the oil cant hurt the engine, we used 1.2 million dollar jet engines in our USN Hovercraft when I was navigation officer (Now civilian) and it was OLD #1 DFM / F76 Diesel Fuel. Those engines have absolutely no corrosion in them other than the occasional saltwater that makes it through the duralife filters after over 18yrs in service. Yes we rebuild them on a maintenance cycle.

I am saying all this because I am thinking that if that crappy fuel did just fine in those engines then I bet higher quality ULSD is fine especially with some pretty well engineered additives such as PS is good in ours. I dont see how 2 stroke TCW3 oil is going to hurt anything.

I decided to not use it for the next 2 tankloads of fuel in hopes that the engine will get louder and mileage will drop. I will keep you posted on my findings. At least for those of you whom may be interested.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kry226
Link removed due to profanity

There's almost 100 pages of reading about 2 stroke oil in diesel fuel and a lot of research. Might answer a lot of questions. Happy reading.
OK, sorry about that. Didn't know there was profanity there, if there is. Could have PM'd me though. Somebody read that thread with over a thousand posts pretty quickly to find all that profanity.

So, guys that want to learn about folks who have burned a considerable amount of 2 stroke oil through their 2nd and 3rd gen Cummins can do so on another Cummins forum.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:13 PM

I used 2 stroke once, had trouble starting and idling. I switched to OPTI-LUBE diesel fuel improver after reading that other thread on here and havent had a problem, noticed about a 1-2 mile gain in MPG too. I liked it so much i bought the OPTI-LUBE oil fortifier as well, temps are down about 25* and looks like another 1 mile gain on MPG. I love the stuff!
Old 10-09-2007, 09:19 PM

The reason why the 2stroke has become a big issue lately is from the ULSD having less lubricity than LSD. The major beneiftors of this are the 1st and 2nd gens fuel pumps. The high pressure pumps need the lubricity that they were designed to run with at the time of their production. Now the EPA has mandated that all diesel fuel for on road use be made ULSD which "more dry" than LSD. Basically what you are doing by adding the 2stroke to your fuel is replacing lubricity back into your fuel which your expensive CP3 was intended to have. It does quiet down the clatter of the CP3's and some may see a side effect of a little gain in mileage. The typical dose is usually 1oz. to 1 gallon of diesel. Any more than that might be an overdose which could make the engine feel sluggish. Using TCW-3 is designed to burn clean and synthetics don't burn off as clean. I have heard of people mixing PS or some other cleaners with 2 stroke and there are mixed feelings on the mixing issue. I think that the 2 stroke slightly lengthens the burn on the combustion cycle which in turn gives some the mileage increase. I use 1 qt. per fill up for about 3 tanks and then Stanadyne on the 4 to make sure I'm keeping things clean. It can't hurt anything by adding 2 stroke besides lube your fuelsystem, quiet down the clatter, and make your truck run like a sewing machine. You can usually hear the difference in the first 2 minutes after starting the truck. There is 2 days full of reading on Cumminsforum in 1 thread about this. Get ready to drink several cups of coffee for that one, but it is very informative and answers alot of questions that I am not at all qualified to. Good luck, use what benefits your truck the most! JMO

Wood
Old 10-09-2007, 09:36 PM

Whenever I fill my tank , it seems like it is always around 25 gallons. With that 25 gallons, I throw in one 16 oz bottle of the 2 cycle and 8 ounces of the PSD. I used to just run the PSD. When I started adding the 2 cycle, I haven't noticed any difference at all in mileage or sound of the engine. I do however think that my truck blows more black smoke under WOT conditions now, but that's just my opinion.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:48 PM

Anyone on here us Marvel Mystery oil instead of 2 cycle? Thats what I always ran in my 7.3 Powerstroke, and also in my diesel VW Jetta. The shop I work at deals with one of the very few Bosch certified Diesel injection pump rebuild shops, and the head guy there said they run Marvel or ATF in their fuel. Maybe there already has been a big debate on here about that I havent been a member that long though..

Jason
Old 10-09-2007, 10:48 PM

vwjunkie53 Read this study on additives.http://dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=177728

MMO ranks poor on lubricity. I have used MMO and PS in the past, no longer. Been running 2 stoke regularly since July and Howes Meaner Kleener occasionally.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:52 PM

VW, I wouldn't run MMO. It is a solvent and actually brings downt the HFRR score of the diesel that you are buying at the pump (means it actually takes away from the lubricity of pump diesel). Plus, it is red. You ever been dipped by the Highway partol?
Old 10-09-2007, 10:58 PM

Correction to my first post above. 2 Stroke burns at the same BTU level as Diesel, appx. 130,000BTU's give or take 1,000. TCW-3 is ashless, meaning that it will burn off completely from the valves and injector tips. The synthetic 2 strokes burn at a different BTU and aren't going to burn as clean as the TCW-3.
Wood

Quick Reply: 2 stroke Oil - Small Review