3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

2 part question: Putting a tonneau with a bedliner

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 10:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 part question: Putting a tonneau with a bedliner

Hey,

Did a little reading on back threads about this.

I have a drop-in bedliner (mopar). I'm planning on putting Line-x this weekend. Initially, I had figured on putting the drop in back over the line-x.

Thoughts on this? The biggest reason is because I figured the ribbed design might keep my stuff a little dryer if moisture got under a tonneau cover. (And maybe to protect from dents?)

I'm also looking for a rolling/sliding tonneau cover. What are your recommendations? Initially, I liked the Pace Edwards Jackrabbit, but read mixed reviews in back threads. Also looked at retrax and the roll*n*lock.
What are your thoughts on them being able to lock? How easy is that to defeat with some force on the tailgate? What about how waterproof they are? Do they work with the drop-in liner? Am I pretty much stuck spending about a grand?

(I know, I apologize, so many questions, but I'd rather just do it right)

Thanks in advance as always.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why spend the money on the Linex if you already have a drop in box liner?? Personaly I don't like the hard roll out box covers They take up to much box space for me anyways. I have the tuxcedo low pro roll up box cover it works good and only sticks up about 1 inch above the box. and costs about $450
Old 03-16-2006, 12:46 AM

I would go with the spray in liner fore sure but the electric tonaeu suck! Truxedo's are nice but people can still get into them if they want to, so its not really that tamper proof. There is also a toneau cover called "Cover all" I think, maybe under cover. But they are EXTRMELY strong, like about 10 poeple can stand on top of it! They are rather inexpensive and the only come in black, but they can be painted. They can be lifted by one person and moved around quite well. Infact the operate just like a standard toneau( tilt up in the back and also lock in the back... So just check them out...
Old 03-16-2006, 07:01 AM

The lift up type of tonneau is definitely not what we are looking for. We frequently will need to roll it back and place larger items in this....

but I'll check out the tuxcedo low pro roll up box cover. Other ideas?

As to why I want a spray in when I have a drop in:
Pic 1
Pic 2
Old 03-16-2006, 07:07 AM

I've got a Roll'n'Lock/Line-X combo and I'm quite happy with both. My "stuff" stays mostly dry and I'm not worried about brute force on the tailgate. Keep in mind that you'll have to get out the cutting tools and modify the R'n'l rail caps if you need to use the stake pockets at the rear (shortbed at least). There's nothing quite like the feeling of modifying a piece of high-dollar hardware the same day you bring it home . If the drop-in is an under rail design you shouldn't have any problem as long as you lose the piece for the tailgate.

Dale
Old 03-16-2006, 11:05 PM

Its not an over the rail drop in, and more I think about it, I may dump it.

Glad to hear about the rollnlock.