3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

2 micron filter system

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 10:12 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ah64id
Yes I did, they are both Baldwin filter bases, FB1311. The GDP kit comes with a Fleetguard base, but since I had the baldwin's I ordered the GDP kit without the base or Fleetguard filter.

As you get finer in filters, like all these 2 mics and some 5 mics, the filters are not designed for it. They don't even have a drain. The super fine filters are designed to go downstream from the fuel/water sep, as the last defense to clean the fuel prior to pressurization and injection. The best F/W sep I have seen (available) is the Baldwin PF7977 5 micron absolute, 1-2 nominal, 97-99% free water removal, 92-95% emulsified water removal, and 25.5 grams dirt holding.

Yeah, Cat doesn't fool around with anything.

It won't be covered IF they prove it was filter related. I thought I had read every fuel filter TSB and have never seen a Baldwin statement, unlike Fram for Oil.

Baldwin does use a multi-pass rating on their fuel filters thou. So there "2" micron BF7633 is actually a 5 micron multi-pass and 7 micron single pass.... But the PF7977 is 99.24% at 5 microns, and the fuel/water sep is very similar to the OE filter (OE is 98% free and 95% emulsified)

ANY vehicle/engine manufacturer has that statement. They want you to buy there filters. If a filter fails that is not Cummins fault, even if it was Fleetguard (yes I know same parent company). But Fleetguard should pay for damages, or Wix should pay, or Baldwin, or Amsoil, etc...

Actually 7 microns is the current requirement from DC. (and thats 7 microns absolute, not the 7 microns nominal WIX is selling.) FS19800E is 98.7 at 7 microns, and 96% at 5 microns.

I currently have 2 Balwin's inline even if they have multipass ratings (the BF1212 is actually 97.88% at 20 microns singlepass, so plenty for an initial gravel trap and F/W sep. When my supply of PF7977's runs out, 75K from now, I will reevaluate, but for now I KNOW I have cleaner, drier fuel than anyone using the OEM DIF.
I'm not going to argue with you about it. It's not a concern for me but, those that have a warranty and are concerned about keeping it should look into what I said.

If I could find the TSB from Cummins I'd post it. It specifically stated in bold, that using Baldwin filter will void the warranty. They may filter just fine but, when it comes to replacing thousands of dollars of parts... they will pull out the fine print on you and have cause to deny it.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by whitebuffalo
what size/type/where did you get the fuel line you used to plumb that in?

any hydraulic or hose place should have it. pushlok hose any size you want.

i have 1/2" for my fuel system and 1/4" for my mech. fuel psi gauge.

vulcan also has it but is $1 or so higher per ft.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by whitebuffalo
what size/type/where did you get the fuel line you used to plumb that in?
I used 3/8 compression fittings mated to 3/8 pushlock. OEM is 3/8, and I am not in the hp realm to need more fuel than stock. I bought them at a local hydraulic shop.

Originally Posted by tritont
If I could find the TSB from Cummins I'd post it. It specifically stated in bold, that using Baldwin filter will void the warranty. They may filter just fine but, when it comes to replacing thousands of dollars of parts... they will pull out the fine print on you and have cause to deny it.
That would be great if you could find it.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:18 AM

I'm not going to argue with you about it. It's not a concern for me but, those that have a warranty and are concerned about keeping it should look into what I said.

if something did happen to the truck, just take off the baldwin and replace with a fleetguard filter only takes a second. its not like its a dpf delete.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:23 PM

Is this what you are referring to? If so, it just says those filters that don't meet the specs, and Baldwin meets them.

- The final fuel / water separator filter must meet or exceed the filtration specifications
listed in the table below.
CATEGORY FUEL FILTER SPECIFICATION
Particle Removal Efficiency Per SAE J1985
(Single Pass) 7 micron @ 98.7% Efficiency
Dirt Holding Capacity at 1.5 PSI and 52
GPH (Bosch CRFS TKU) Greater than or equal to 15 grams
Maximum Delta Pressure @ Rated Flow
(Installed in Housing) 1.5 PSI (New) or
5 IPSI (Plugged or Cold Weather)
Water Stripping Performance Per SAE J1488 SAE 95% Efficient @ 36.5 GPH
Fluid Compatibility Commercial Diesel US#l and US#2
(LSD/ULSD) B20 Material Compatible with
SBME (Soybean Methyl Ester) and RSME
(Rapeseed Methyl Ester)

- Final fuel / water separator filters that meet the above specifications are approved for use
on Cummins 5.9L and 6.7L diesel engines.

- The use of non-approved fuel filters will result in engine performance deterioration, and/or
possible progressive damage to the engine from foreign particle ingestion, and/or
fuel system component corrosion.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't have pictures. I bolted my filter bases to the sorta H shaped brackets behind the fogs. I put them as high up as I could. Craig
Old 01-12-2009, 04:47 PM

im piecing together my filter system at themoment and wanted to bypass my stock filter housing only because for some reason it leaks fuel and havent been able to figure out why
Old 01-12-2009, 05:07 PM

Take it to the dealer...