3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

2 micron filter system

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 06:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 micron filter system

I just recently picked up a remote 2 micron fuel filter kit http://www.vulcanperformance.com/ser...-Filter/Detail and was told that i could eliminate the stock fuel filter system and just run the 2 micron kit. my question is: how do you do this? there are sensors hooked up to the stock system and i don't want to set off any codes. thanks
Old 09-08-2008, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by smoke19D
I just recently picked up a remote 2 micron fuel filter kit http://www.vulcanperformance.com/ser...-Filter/Detail and was told that i could eliminate the stock fuel filter system and just run the 2 micron kit. my question is: how do you do this? there are sensors hooked up to the stock system and i don't want to set off any codes. thanks
You have the Water in Fuel sensor and the fuel heater hooked up to your stock filter I believe. When I eliminated my stock filter I just unplugged and capped both connectors. If you don't thoroughly seal the connector for the WIF, you will get a light every time it rains, don't ask me how I know...
mishkaya
Old 09-08-2008, 07:04 AM

I think that if you eliminated the stock filter you might have the 2 micron filter plug up too quickly. Why not add the 2 micron filter to the system AFTER the stock filter and use the stock filter as a pre filter for the new filter.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by DogRam
I think that if you eliminated the stock filter you might have the 2 micron filter plug up too quickly. Why not add the 2 micron filter to the system AFTER the stock filter and use the stock filter as a pre filter for the new filter.
This is exactly what I did using the Vulcan kit. I had to purchase a couple extra fittings and few more feet of hose, but it seems to have worked out well. Don't know if it is better or not, just the way I wanted it. When I did this, Vulcan talked about putting together a kit to be used like I did and have that for sale, but they must not of.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:14 AM

I have been running a 2 mic filter exclusively for about four years now and over 90k miles with no issues whatsoever. I was most worried about gelling in cold weather, but haven't even had that problem yet even at -20. I do carry a spare filter in the truck at all times just in case, but I don't think there needs to be any concern about running a 2 mic filter exclusively.
mishkaya
Old 09-08-2008, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by mishkaya
You have the Water in Fuel sensor and the fuel heater hooked up to your stock filter I believe. When I eliminated my stock filter I just unplugged and capped both connectors. If you don't thoroughly seal the connector for the WIF, you will get a light every time it rains, don't ask me how I know...
mishkaya
thanks for the info, i was pretty concerned about getting a code but it sounds like i don't have to worry about that.

i initially wanted to keep the stock system but eric said that he's been running the 2 micron by itself for a couple years now without problems

Originally Posted by RonP
This is exactly what I did using the Vulcan kit. I had to purchase a couple extra fittings and few more feet of hose, but it seems to have worked out well. Don't know if it is better or not, just the way I wanted it. When I did this, Vulcan talked about putting together a kit to be used like I did and have that for sale, but they must not of.
Where exactly did you mount the 2 micron system?

thanks guys
jason
Old 09-08-2008, 12:47 PM

Water separator / 2 micron filter

I have a 30 micron strainer just before the inlet of the Walbro fuel pump on the driver's side frame rail and the water separator / 2 micron filter just after the pump. I still have the stock filter element in place, just in case the hose sloughs off between my aftermarket filter and the CP3. Have not had any issues and have traveled all over the states with this setup. The strainer and water separator filter catch all the big debris prior to the 2 micron filter.

L8r,..........dogger
Old 09-08-2008, 01:05 PM
Banned

by-passing the stock filter doesn't benefit you at all. It will however benefit with removing water, heating the fuel and having an extra 5 micron filter inline. I'm over 700hp going through the stock then 2 micron and have zero pressure loss from it.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by tritont
by-passing the stock filter doesn't benefit you at all. It will however benefit with removing water, heating the fuel and having an extra 5 micron filter inline. I'm over 700hp going through the stock then 2 micron and have zero pressure loss from it.
^^^^x2 same here
Old 09-08-2008, 01:29 PM

thanks guys. if i were to keep the stock system then where is the best place to mount the 2 micron system?
Old 09-08-2008, 01:37 PM

I mounted mine on the frame kind of right under the drivers door. I am nots ure its the best place, but it has worked for about 5-8,000 miles. You can kind of see the some of the filter looking at the truck from the side. I could try to take some pics later if you wanted.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:42 PM
Banned

here's a pic of the walbro set up I had. I've since changed to a Raptor pump. It may help give you an idea where to mount it. As you can see it's right behind the transfer case. I didn't want to the filter hanging down to low to where you can easily see it and that's the best place I found to get it up high

You may have to make you're own bracket but, the 2 micron kit GDP sells has it already. One that can mount in the engine compartment right behind the CP3 and another kit with a universal bracket.

If you do decide to keep the stock filter.... be sure to run you lift pump feed line to it first, then to the 2 micron and then to the CP3.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:59 PM

Is that truck clean under neeth or what. I hope no one takes a pic of the under side of my truck.
Nice looking truck all the way arround.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by RonP
I mounted mine on the frame kind of right under the drivers door. I am nots ure its the best place, but it has worked for about 5-8,000 miles. You can kind of see the some of the filter looking at the truck from the side. I could try to take some pics later if you wanted.
if you took some pics that would be great!

Originally Posted by tritont
here's a pic of the walbro set up I had. I've since changed to a Raptor pump. It may help give you an idea where to mount it. As you can see it's right behind the transfer case. I didn't want to the filter hanging down to low to where you can easily see it and that's the best place I found to get it up high

You may have to make you're own bracket but, the 2 micron kit GDP sells has it already. One that can mount in the engine compartment right behind the CP3 and another kit with a universal bracket.

If you do decide to keep the stock filter.... be sure to run you lift pump feed line to it first, then to the 2 micron and then to the CP3.
very clean looking setup!! thanks for all the input guys

jason
Old 09-08-2008, 02:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Billy Ram
Is that truck clean under neeth or what. I hope no one takes a pic of the under side of my truck.
Nice looking truck all the way arround.
LOL.... BillyRam that was almost 2 yrs ago when the truck had maybe 5000 miles on it. It did stay pretty clean though since the truck doesn't go out in the rain or snow

I mounted my Raptor in the same spot the walbro is in and had to removed a couple hoses as it doesn't use a return.

Quick Reply: 2 micron filter system