3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

2'' level spacer or not???

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2'' level spacer or not???

I have a 6'' long arm super lift. I would like it to set a little higher in the front. I purchased a 2'' leveling spacer. The guy at the install shop doesn't recomend it due to caster/camber issues & because it puts too much angle on the control arms and the suspension won't work easy. Any input asap is helpfull...Will be a problem to add the 2'' leveling spacer to a 6'' lift?? see sig for other mods...
Old 01-26-2010, 01:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
How was the 6" lift accheived? If its a spacer I say no, if it was a coil you should be fine, just see if it will align afterwords .
Old 01-26-2010, 03:36 PM

Lift is achieved from longer springs that came with the lift kit. There is no spacer now...time is money & if it can't be aligned then it will cost me more $ to have it removed...
Old 01-26-2010, 03:37 PM

Is lowering the rear rather than lifting the front an option?
Old 01-26-2010, 06:33 PM

It is an option. I have thought about it. I'm concerned that if I lower it that the tires may rub the fenders when I have my 5th wheel toyhauler hooked up. Where we go camping and to get to the camping area there is a soft spot (200 yards approx) in the road and the truck gets to bouncing pretty good cause I have to keep going at a decent speed so I don't get stuck even though I have 4x4 & 35'' tires. The road has whoop di do's and is very soft. It does bottom out in the back. So I'm not too sure about lowering the rear...
Old 01-27-2010, 07:30 AM

I wouldn't do that if I were you! Even on a stock truck the 2" spacers are not advisable. I took mine off and went a different route!
Old 01-27-2010, 09:37 AM

Humm. Kind of puts you in a pickle. The spacers are kind of a cheap work around, but it sounds like the rear isn't really going to solve your issue completly. Are you trying to do this on a budget? You may beable to buy longer coils, the issues I have is that I personally am a perfectionist. So I would not be comfortable lifting it up and not correcting the sway bar hieght and links ends, as well as the track bar adjustment and control arms length.

That's the mai issue why I haven't put a lift on my truck is I want to do it all at one time, and don't have the $$$ right now.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The rear isnt going to rub with 35's. I have 35" xterrains on mine and have had it loaded so heavy that it never came off the bumpstops even over some pretty big holes and whoops like you are talking. Didn't go far like that but didn't have any issues.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:24 PM

I don't really understand the need for 6" of lift to fit 35's... I fit 35's just fine with no rubbing in the rear on a bone stock truck.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:36 PM

I don't get the spacer bashing. i'v had mine in for 4 years. never a problem. i did not even get it aligned after i put them in. lucky i guess.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by ripping r
I don't get the spacer bashing. i'v had mine in for 4 years. never a problem. i did not even get it aligned after i put them in. lucky i guess.
I second that no problems here and no alignment yet
Old 01-29-2010, 05:09 PM

I've done the 5" spring with a 2" spacer. You are right about the drive line angle. it's too much angle. You'll have to go to the long arm version if you don't have already to get the driveline to work properly. The axle will need to be pushed forward. Plus a new alignment afterwards.

Or...... you take the driveline off and you now have a 2 wheel drive.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Catmandoram
I've done the 5" spring with a 2" spacer. You are right about the drive line angle. it's too much angle. You'll have to go to the long arm version if you don't have already to get the driveline to work properly. The axle will need to be pushed forward. Plus a new alignment afterwards.

Or...... you take the driveline off and you now have a 2 wheel drive.

See the first few words of his post:
" I have a 6'' long arm super lift."

(I know nothing about long arm kits)
Old 01-30-2010, 06:24 AM

I decided to leave the spacer out. If anyone is interested in buying them. PM me...I paid $55... they are a good quality made of steel. Purchased from topgun customs off e-bay..
Old 01-30-2010, 08:16 AM

Still.... Same rules apply if 5" or 6" springs.. You must have the LONG ARM if you add the 2" spacers or the drive (front) line will not work. You can buy just the long arms only and replace the bars. Trust me... Been down this road and you have to do one or the other. If you buy a 8" kit.... It comes with the long arms.

Quick Reply: 2'' level spacer or not???