3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

19.5 wheels and tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 06:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
19.5 wheels and tires

Just wondering what the ride quality is like with 19.5 tires.I figure the higher load range tire will make the ride stiffer but could be wrong.Is there a drastic weight difference between the aluminum 19.5's and the stockers.Would like to have them but can't take to much rougher a ride.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would not get the 19.5's. My dad has them and they slowed his truck way down, and it is way harder on the brakes. The look good, but ride like crap and are squirly at high speeds. Oh ya my dad has a 05 DRW regular cab with BD towing twins, smarty,BD Xpower, CFM+, Full Billet trans, and 5in turbo back exhaust.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Towmaster101
I would not get the 19.5's. My dad has them and they slowed his truck way down, and it is way harder on the brakes. The look good, but ride like crap and are squirly at high speeds. Oh ya my dad has a 05 DRW regular cab with BD towing twins, smarty,BD Xpower, CFM+, Full Billet trans, and 5in turbo back exhaust.
Your dads truck sounds pretty tough!I definitely don't like the idea of it slowing it down alot.Got a lot of money tied up in this thing to make it go faster.I take it the tires are alot heavier if they are wearing the brakes out faster?
Old 04-01-2008, 09:07 PM

Ya, I forgot to say he has the 200hp injectors and stage 3 pump from industrial injection,and arp head studs, now Im trying to talk him into the cam and springs. He probably wont go for it though. I already had the cam out to replace the gear along with every other gear on the front of the motor. I should be certified by cummins by now.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:45 PM

Mine weigh a ton, you will notice reduced stopping power, and higher EGT's. I just put a new turbo on to change that. I think going with aluminum inners instead of steel would help. Maybe a smaller tire (245/70R19.5) would solve both issues?

Even at 35LBS. in the rear they are pretty stiff. I try to keep a little weight in the back to settle it down. I do prefer their handling to the stockers though, less sidewall deflection, even at 36" tall.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:39 AM

Even with my 22.5s, I don't have any of these problems. Maybe a little stiffer, but the ride is very good. Yeah, they are a little heavier, but not much more than my stockers. Truck pulls and stops real good. I just don't see much of a difference. Air pressure is the key to a good ride with commercial tires. Oh yeah, the aluminum wheels are much lighter than steel wheels. My $.02.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:50 AM

Homewrecker, if your want a log truck ride, just borrow my dump truck! That is why I did not get the 19.5's that you told me about. However, I don't know this for a fact, and would like to drive one. Your truck rides REALLY Good, would be a shame to ruin it.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:49 AM

If you are going for looks then maybe not the way to go. Yes they ride a bit stiffer than a "E" load range tire. If you haul a bunch of weight in your truck then they are superior to any of the 17" to 20" tires on the market.

My aluminum wheels weigh 35 pounds maybe a bit more than the 17" aluminum wheels but I think less than some of the steel wheels out there. Tires last much longer and you can sell the cases or have them regrooved.

I don't know how fast some of you drive but I have many miles on them running with a almost 4k lb. Lance camper and empty at 80mph and I wouldn't do that with the stock stuff at all. Very confidense inspiring.

With the camper on I do feel the loss of power but I think that has more to do with a 3" taller tire than it has to do with wheel weight. As far as stopping I'm running these wheels on my 97 when I put them on I also upgraded the wheel cylinders in the rear and replaced the rubber brake lines with braided steel. I'll get a set for my 04 ASCP.(As Soon Cash Permits)

I don't run hard with this setup in the hills up or down. I have never had a brake overheating issue. I'm sure you could but I'm no virgin behind the wheel, and go slow in the hills. Because of the weight not the wheels. On a panic stop sure it's going to take you longer to stop, just plan on hitting them. You aren't going to haul or pull any amout of weight and beable to stop on a dime.

They reduced the feel of body roll in the wind and turning but I'm sure the other stuff out there would do that too just not with the weight.

I'm running 245/70's load range G. I don't worry about hitting pot holes in the freeway at speed anymore. I worry less about rocks on gravel now.

Good luck YMMV
Old 04-02-2008, 06:20 AM

I do tow some but not heavy enough to really "need" the 19.5's.More of a looks upgrade if I did it.After reading all this sounds like there are some negatives I'm not liking..I'm building this truck to haul butt and do a little tow duty on the side.Sounds like the 19.5's would be a step in the wrong direction.Thanks for the replys.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:18 AM
Winner winner chicken dinner!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Aluminum 19.5s are not going to make a big difference in power or a big difference in braking. Steel rims will. It also depends on the size tire you are running. The 19.5s are great for towing and they look good on these trucks. Im sure at the track you may be a little slower, but their are guys flat out flying on 37s and 40s so I really dont think its that big a deal.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree^^^^. have you looked at some of the other 19.5 wheels available from other companies? They may be a bit lighter but will still be heavier than stock.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:41 AM
Chapter President

19.5's are just fine!!!

I have a buddy who has them on his 3500. I just drove it from Idaho Springs to Moab.....rides just fine

Of course this is probably due to his Kelderman Air ride!!!
Old 04-02-2008, 01:27 PM

I would think anything bigger than stock made the same way would have to be heavier than stock if its rated the same.

Rip if you know somebody else making 19.5 wheels besides vision and rickson please pass it along.

Thanks
Old 04-02-2008, 02:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well here's a site. I hear they are pricey, but that's gonna happen with any dually wheel.

http://www.brentzwheels.com/wheels.html

I think these look great!!
Old 04-02-2008, 06:11 PM

My dad has the Alcoa 19.5 semi wheels, with a 33" Sumimoto tire and they are far from light. I dont care what anyone says these are some heavy @$$ tires and wheels. The wheels are twice as thick as 17" aluminums. Just the adapter alone for these wheels way 35lbs each. He had the 19.5 bolt ons from american force wheels and they sent us 2 bent rims, and the egg heads wouldn't trade them out for two straight ones. .02

Quick Reply: 19.5 wheels and tires