3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

10 ply 35" tires (17" rims)

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RowJ
I'm confused?? Interco 35" E rated, is a 2 ply Nylon sidewall. (FYI-Impressive test results HERE)

My new Pro Comp Xtreme 35/70/17D's are 3 ply Nylon sidewall. Which tire is really stronger and safer??

After reading the Four Wheel Magazine report (above) the Vortracs sound great. But with your main concern being strength, I'm wondering how there really compare.

RJ

Yeah, I'm kinda confused too, but the load rating is more important to me than tires capable of going 200 MPH, I doubt I'd hit 100 very often.

So far the Vortracs are okay, they take a lotta weight to balance and the place I got them from only has 1 kinda balancing weights, the kind that keep flying off my H2's, they're gonna try stick on's next.

I almost went for the XT AT's and would have for sure if they were E rated, how you likin them?
Old 06-05-2009, 02:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fisherguy
I almost went for the XT AT's, how you likin them?
Just picked them up. Mounted, balanced but not installed.
Riding in my bed right now and I'm driving my race tires (factory 265/70/17's). Talk about looking small with 2" frt. lift!
Will be swapping on the Pro Comps tomorrow for first time.
So to answer your question.... they look great!

Other than at the track, I never take it over 80 mph.
But I have always felt heat build up hurts tire life as much or more than anything. At least, down here in "Texoma" (6 months of 90-100* everyday).
Just my less than expert opinion.

RJ
Old 06-05-2009, 02:31 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
On most tires out there, there exists the two camps who either love or hate a certain tire for one reason or another... sometimes the pro camp is bigger than the con camp or vice versa.

I've yet to run across anyone who didn't like their Pro-comp Xtreme AT's...

Disclaimer: I've never run them myself, but have run other Pro-comp tires (mud and AT) without being very impressed.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by soulezoo
...I've yet to run across anyone who didn't like their Pro-comp Xtreme AT's...
Other than all the good reports here (DTR) what got me interested was them being 'directional' tires. Seems to me this could make them quietier... and offer better wet traction.
Anyone agree or disagree?

RJ
Old 06-06-2009, 02:27 PM

I have even run them both ways...still quiet.

The max seating pressure is an industry cover butt warning. If you are mounting a 13.5 on a 8 or 8.5 inch wide wheel...it takes soap and every bit of 60 psi or more to get an even seat...then hardly any wieght to balance.

Fisherguy...use GM rim wieghts on the inside lip of the H2 Wheel and stick on on the outside...way outside of the inside of the wheel...clear as mud?

I have 2 wheels on my truck now with only one weight...and it is the small one.

Best tire...dry, wet, snow, and mileage I have ever used...and still is quiet and performs in mud as well all MOST other MT tires.
Old 06-06-2009, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by cquestad

Fisherguy...use GM rim wieghts on the inside lip of the H2 Wheel and stick on on the outside...way outside of the inside of the wheel...clear as mud?

Yeah, I'm not getting what you mean.
They used the only type they carry, the ones you hammer on and the tab goes kinda down the bead. They only put them on the back of the wheel so ya can't see them.

Not getting your outside of the inside...?
Old 06-06-2009, 04:23 PM

Some tires you have to balance like he just said unless you just want a statically balanced tire which isn't nearly as good. For the rims without an outside lip, you have to hammer conventional weights on the inside rim, then use stick on weights on the inside diameter of the wheel as close to the outside edge as you can get them. I'm sure you know where the stick on weights go, you just have to be sure to stick them on as close to the outside rim as possible. That way you have weight on the inside rim and outside rim as good as you can get it.
Old 06-06-2009, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Fisherguy
..Not getting your outside of the inside...?
How about.. "as close to the face of the wheel as you can get....coming in from the back side"!
They are lead squares....1/4, 1/2, or 1 oz. Stick onto the inside curve of the wheel
Did mine with these. Have always used only these.... and Centramatics. Don't like rim weights on Al wheels.

Got about 200 miles today, on these Pro Comp Xtremes. Very smooth.... and the quietest 35" tire I ever had! Also more directional stability than BFG's or Toyo's, but that could be my (new to me) 17" 07 wheels. All previous 35's were on 16" factory 8" Al wheels.

How can these tires be as big as they are and still look smallish on a CTD
Old 06-06-2009, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by RowJ
How about.. "as close to the face of the wheel as you can get....coming in from the back side"!
They are lead squares....1/4, 1/2, or 1 oz. Stick onto the inside curve of the wheel
Did mine with these. Have always used only these.... and Centramatics. Don't like rim weights on Al wheels.

Okay, yeah, the stick ons, they're gonna use them next time. I had those on my stock wheels. Feels like I've lost some of the rear weights, he marked the tires where the weights were so I can tell for sure when they've fallen off.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:40 AM

There is nothing wrong with running the D rated tire on an unloaded truck, even a small load is fine for short trips.
I've experienced white knuckle events running the D 35"s and attribute it to the softer sidewalls.

I tow my enclosed snowmobile trailer all over the mid west during winter. I get on hwy 80 and drive 75 mph, passing several semi trucks. I noticed that with the softer D tire I experience quite a bit of trailer sway while passing, and have had instances that have scared me on more than 1 occasion (lilfe threatening).

I now only tow with the stock E tires, as the sway is minimal with this setup. I attribute this to the stiffer sidewall which handles the load much better (my load is only 5k#, but the trailer is 27' long)

I currently have 5 h2 wheels with the bfg 35"s and run these everyday, even while towing my large dump trailer (I went across the scale at the dump last week at 20k#) However when tow cross county and safety is a concern the stock wheels/e tires get bolted up.