3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

06 knock! PLEASE HELP WITH ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 knock! PLEASE HELP WITH ?

I just got back from the dealer and they said my knock or tick was carbon build up. They told me to get injection cleaning to remove it and start running a fuel add. what do yall think of the cleaning is it worth it or not. I would also like to know which fuel add is the best to run!
Old 09-11-2007, 11:49 AM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by rynemurch
I just got back from the dealer and they said my knock or tick was carbon build up. They told me to get injection cleaning to remove it and start running a fuel add. what do yall think of the cleaning is it worth it or not. I would also like to know which fuel add is the best to run!
Have you tryed adding the two-stroke oil?
Old 09-11-2007, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by haloman
Have you tryed adding the two-stroke oil?
Where have you been? No, what kind is the best!
Old 09-11-2007, 11:54 AM

I've used Power Service in the gray bottle in the summer and white bottle in the cold months.

I've also used one bottle of the Redline brand Diesel Fuel Catalyst.

I have an 06 also.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:55 AM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by Buckshotmckee
The dealers all same the same thing, its normal. I put a quart in every time I fill. Make sure you use the TCW-3 no ash. Walmart has the best price on it, 1 gallon for $8 bucks.
Buckshotmckee has been running two-stroke for a long time in his 2nd gen and now his 3rd gen. Run down to Walmart I would say and dump a quart in a full tank. You could also try Powerservice from Rural King as they have good prices on the gallon jugs usually.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I run wal-mart brand two stroke oil. I have heard that it will actually cause carbon build-up but I have yet to experience it and I have been running it for 6 months or so.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by haloman
Buckshotmckee has been running two-stroke for a long time in his 2nd gen and now his 3rd gen. Run down to Walmart I would say and dump a quart in a full tank. You could also try Powerservice from Rural King as they have good prices on the gallon jugs usually.
What would I do with out you Dan thanks!! Call me later if you get out!
Old 09-11-2007, 12:07 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by rynemurch
What would I do with out you Dan thanks!! Call me later if you get out!
Its no prob. I will call you if I do get out after work.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by JeepManIowa
I've used Power Service in the gray bottle in the summer and white bottle in the cold months.

I've also used one bottle of the Redline brand Diesel Fuel Catalyst.

I have an 06 also.
What he said...
Old 09-11-2007, 12:13 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
You have a couple of choices on additive. I used Howe's Meaner Cleaner a couple of time and it works great. I have since learned to just hook up my Horsetrailer and take the Horses for a 30 to 45 min. ride. That gets temps up over 1000 deg for a while and takes care of the carbon every time.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:14 PM
Chapter President

I should also add Ryne that in all of our trucks we run the white bottle of Powerservice in the winter but nothing in the summer.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't run any additive and mine doesn't knock. I would be pushing them to find the real problem. Make sure there are no engine codes.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Spooler
You have a couple of choices on additive. I used Howe's Meaner Cleaner a couple of time and it works great. I have since learned to just hook up my Horsetrailer and take the Horses for a 30 to 45 min. ride. That gets temps up over 1000 deg for a while and takes care of the carbon every time.
I'm with you....I used to get intermittent white smoke and rough idle on a cold startup with my 06 I tried the "Howes Meaner Power Kleaner" and it has stopped completely...then I ran a tank with out and sure enough the white smoke and rough idle came back.
I don't run without it now!!!

http://www.howeslube.com/products/index.php/category/10
Old 09-11-2007, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by 53 ******
I'm with you....I used to get intermittent white smoke and rough idle on a cold startup with my 06 I tried the "Howes Meaner Power Kleaner" and it has stopped completely...then I ran a tank with out and sure enough the white smoke and rough idle came back.
I don't run without it now!!!

http://www.howeslube.com/products/index.php/category/10
It doesnt idle rough or white smoke it just has a knock or a ticking sound. Ive taken to two dealers now to try to get to the bottom of it and they say its carbon build up on the injectors. They said a injection cleaning will help but it is $100 didnt know if I should get that or not or would I juse me giveing them my money cause its not covered under the warn.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by omaharam
I don't run any additive and mine doesn't knock. I would be pushing them to find the real problem. Make sure there are no engine codes.
No engine codes truck runs great!

Quick Reply: 06 knock! PLEASE HELP WITH ?