3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

06 On the Fence, Do I really need extra gauges

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 08:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06 On the Fence, Do I really need extra gauges

I am a proud owner of a 06 Ram with an automatic (2500 miles). I will be towing my #6000 +/- boat between April and September. I usually drive 3-5000 miles for the season. Drive Wisconsin, Illinois, Missouri & Kentucky. The only transmission trouble was my last Suburban , (1999 POS). If I drive heads up do I really need more instruments? I can see if this rig was #10000 lbs or more. I could also see why I would not need it with #2000 boat. But with more power ,there will be more chance for heat buildup.
You folks have towed with these trucks with all kinds of weight. Should I add a transmission gauge and something else. Or just wait after this season.
I would appreciate your input.
Old 02-09-2006, 08:37 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If your planning on adding more power to it then yes, add a boost, egt, tranny temp gauge, and a fuel pressure gauge. If your staying stock, don't worry about it. DC built these trucks to do whatever you need them to and stay within tolerances.
Old 02-09-2006, 08:59 PM

Thanks

I plan on staying stock. It is tempting to do. I plan justting sit back and enjoying this summer.
Old 02-10-2006, 12:10 AM

Stock or not get an EGT and Trans guage. I towed with the truck bone stock and saw 1400* with about 8000lbs in the trailer. Mind you I was floored goin up a long grade blowin the doors off all the fords. Its cheap insurance. You paid a ton for the truck thow in a few more bucks for the guages. After all its not a Honda.
Old 02-10-2006, 07:21 AM

Gauges

The only place to put two gauges would be between the overhead and rear view mirror.
Mounting them on the pillar, would eliminate the handle. Personally do not like the looks of it there.
Do not have the time to install the gauges. Could I get them and have the dealer install them? How could I find someone else that could do a good job. Does anyone know of a place around northern Illinois. I do not mind paying good money for a good job. The drilling and taping in the header & cutting the transmission cooling line is not real hard with the right tools. But a "rum-dumb" could really make a mess.
What about warranty, how it will affect that.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:04 AM

I wouldn't worry about gauges w/ that amount of weight... unless you want to blow the doors off everyone going uphill like Syndicate...

Tony
Old 02-10-2006, 08:05 AM

Stock

Originally Posted by Foxborough
I plan on staying stock. It is tempting to do. I plan justting sit back and enjoying this summer.
stock's just fine for 6000lbs. You'll be just fine!
Bekim
###
Old 02-10-2006, 08:23 AM

Thanks for the input folks

Can't wait till spring to go boating. It's killing me to see it snow again. We got something less than an inch last night. Not sure which will be more enjoyable, towing the boat or boating it self. Do not want to be down for maintence. Any information and experience helps. I am new to diesels and want to get set up for spring. Do all the work now so all I have to to in the summer is fill up toys with fuel, get them dirty and clean them up. Appreciate your insights.