3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

'06 CTD Muffler Delete

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 04:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get rid of the muffler and the cat. It"l be loud,but it"l sound way better than any ferd. At low rpm,such as riding thru a parking lot, it sounds like a freakin Kenworth

Rooster
Old 02-26-2007, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by ROOSTER108BM
Get rid of the muffler and the cat. It"l be loud,but it"l sound way better than any ferd. At low rpm,such as riding thru a parking lot, it sounds like a freakin Kenworth

Rooster
Lemme guess, I bet you're one of those that believes loud pipes save lives, uh?
Old 02-26-2007, 09:05 AM

From what I've learned from this site, losing the cat will give you serious drone.
I wanted more flow without a whole lotta noise and get a 40" Nelson (pn 86127)ut on, not much more noise at an idle but a nice tone when you get into it, and cost me $67 Cdn from the local Cummins store. It's 4" in and out, straight through. Install was a little expensive but if you have a welder you can buy the 45º offsets and do it yourself. Do a search on Nelson, lotsa good reports, more pics in my gallery:

Old 02-26-2007, 09:22 AM

I went with a complete straight pipe at first. As everyone else said, it sounds like a Kenworth and it really turns head. I do a lot of driving/towing and the drone was too much. I ended up with a Banks dual exhaust system (solely because I got an awesome deal on it) with an MBRP Cat-Delete Pipe. Sounds great; real aggressive when I get on it, but it quiets down when cruising. If I was to do it over again, I would go for the MBRP system. Just my opinion.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:22 PM

I put an rpm outlet muffler delete on mine. With cat still in place for emissions purpose. Put a 5 inch tip on it and it sounds great. Zero drone on the highway and an awesome tone at idle and at higher rpms. Really throaty and not annoying. It took a while to get the mufler and tailpipe out, but with the help of a die grinder and a small prybar. When i say small i mean an 8 inch prybar. I really wouldnt go any other way, unless i feel like getting way louder and having the drone i nthe cab.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:19 PM
EDR

Washington State emissions regulation question

I'm a new CTD owner and have been reading the forums for awhile. I've found lots of great information but I still have a couple of questions I'm hoping someone can answer. I was going to install a 5" Magnaflow turbo back system on my truck, but I'm also planning to move to the Tri-Cities area of Washington state in the near future.

I found the following information regarding Washington state emissions regulations:

"1982 and newer diesel vehicles under 8501 pounds Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) with two-wheel or part-time four wheel drive. These vehicles will receive an opacity test that measures the density (opacity) of exhaust as it exits the vehicle's tailpipe. The vehicle is tested on a dynamometer."

Would deleting the cat result in increased opacity? And, do the testing stations inspect for the cat during the emissions test?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:22 PM

Ditch the muffler and the kitty while youre under there
Old 02-26-2007, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by kuhkuhkyle
I put an rpm outlet muffler delete on mine. With cat still in place for emissions purpose. Put a 5 inch tip on it and it sounds great. Zero drone on the highway and an awesome tone at idle and at higher rpms. Really throaty and not annoying. It took a while to get the mufler and tailpipe out, but with the help of a die grinder and a small prybar. When i say small i mean an 8 inch prybar. I really wouldnt go any other way, unless i feel like getting way louder and having the drone i nthe cab.
I had to cut mine too. Wish they would make then to just slip off. I wanted to be able to go back stock and not be able to tell.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:46 PM

I did the muffler delete but left the cat on, sounds very nice, has good sound but is not too obnoxious. No drone when cruising on the highway.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:18 AM

EDR, I have looked into this some,with varying results. Lately (last couple years) they had switched to a new contractor to do these tests. Only once on an older car did I have to pop the hood for a quick visual, but not recently. New vehicles don't have to be tested for five years ( not sure if this applies to new licensees (moving into state) . Thus no CAT trucks have been tested. Back to your original question, I'm still trying to find out how they are going to do diesel, since there has been such an influx lately. I'm doing MBRP muffler kit now, will try to find out more later. Sorry for the quasi hijack
Old 02-28-2007, 11:23 AM
EDR

Graphite 6

Thanks for the information! If you find out anything else please let me / us know.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:34 PM

I went the muffler delete kit as well, mainly since it is much cheaper than complete exhuast kit. Like others have stated the stock muffler was a ....well you can fill in the blanks, to get off. I used a 4.5" grinder to split the muffler inlet and outlet to pry the sucker off. I swear that muffler weighs 80lbs. I hate to admit this, but it was such an effort I felt like throwing up after it, ofcourse I'm out of shape too . Since welding is a past time of mine I welded the delete pipe in place.

My 03 never had a cat, it's definitely loud and on mine there is a drone between ~68 and 75 MPH. Either slower or faster and it goes away.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:11 PM

I did the muffler delete and left cat on. Gained 1-2 MPG. I heard a CTD that got rid of both and it sounded ok at idle and when they got on it.Just cruising it sounds terrible.

2006,2500 BIG HORN SLT 4X4 6 SPEED LONG BED,EDGE JUICE WITH ATTITUDE
Old 02-28-2007, 11:45 PM

what is the sound difference with only the muffler removed?
Old 03-01-2007, 12:59 AM

definately noticeable, louder than stock while in the throtle, and unless your outside the truck you wont notice a difference in city cruising or idling, even on the high way at 70 its hard to notice the difference. But once you dip in the throtle or pass a car with your windows down youll hear it then, and its amazing

Quick Reply: '06 CTD Muffler Delete