3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

'06 48RE - TC/VB or Full build

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am not starting a tranny war...but it is a fact that single discs have to run higher pressure. That is how they make there clamping force. The torque that a converter can handle is a simple equation based on the OD of the converter discs, width of the "contact" surface, number of surfaces, "friction" of the surface, and the normal force (LINE PRESSURE). Since the body's of the converters, width, friction, etc are almost identical...pressure and number of surfaces are all that can vary. So...just for comparison, lets take 1500 ft-lbs (18000 inch lbs). On a single disc with a "trib" area of say 48 in^2, diameter 10", and a .5 friction coeff...it would take 150 psi. With a triple disc with three times the area...it takes only 1/3 or 50psi of line pressure to hold the same torque. These numbers are are just "hypothetical"...but they serve the purpose for comparison just fine. Less pressure...less temp in the fluid. Less pressure...less chance for internal leakage. More plates...more ability for total load.

I do agree they weigh more...but not that much once you pick both of them up!

They both have their applications...and I am not saying there are not "higher" hp trucks out there with singles...but not higher hp than those with multi discs.

Apples to apples, I would have to say anything with more pressure has a greater chance to leak/fail.

BTW..

What is the actuator problem?
Old 01-10-2007, 05:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cquestad
I am not starting a tranny war...but it is a fact that single discs have to run higher pressure. That is how they make there clamping force. The torque that a converter can handle is a simple equation based on the OD of the converter discs, width of the "contact" surface, number of surfaces, "friction" of the surface, and the normal force (LINE PRESSURE). Since the body's of the converters, width, friction, etc are almost identical...pressure and number of surfaces are all that can vary. So...just for comparison, lets take 1500 ft-lbs (18000 inch lbs). On a single disc with a "trib" area of say 48 in^2, diameter 10", and a .5 friction coeff...it would take 150 psi. With a triple disc with three times the area...it takes only 1/3 or 50psi of line pressure to hold the same torque. These numbers are are just "hypothetical"...but they serve the purpose for comparison just fine. Less pressure...less temp in the fluid. Less pressure...less chance for internal leakage. More plates...more ability for total load.

I do agree they weigh more...but not that much once you pick both of them up!

They both have their applications...and I am not saying there are not "higher" hp trucks out there with singles...but not higher hp than those with multi discs.

Apples to apples, I would have to say anything with more pressure has a greater chance to leak/fail.

BTW..

What is the actuator problem?

ok, i see now. you are concerned with line pressure. can't comment much on that...yet...let me research and call a few people in the business and i'll find out... i love this stuff and am definitely addicted...just wish i had a magazine do it all for me with a good write up! that was an awesome article and truck there cquestad.

actuator...

on 05+ trucks, DC started using an actuator in the tranny to control line pressure which in turn controls shifts. The 03-04 48re's had kick down cables to control shifts. these actuators have been a pain for aftermarket tranny companies, especially those with tighter converters. keeping the actuator happy is hard to do. mine messes up BAD with the Smarty...don't know why.

mentioned in post 1, 4, 6....
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=130065

There was a huge thread on TDR not long ago about it...and now looking for the third time i can't find that thread....every tranny brand name was mentioned there. HTS users swore HTS had no problems but it seems funny that one 1 company has it figured out! maybe their converter isn't as tight....who knows.

This is actually a problem on ALOT of trucks...but the stock converter is so loose you don't hardly notice it. I know my stock tranny did some weird things though!
Old 01-10-2007, 05:57 PM

There is one way to fix that...

ATS Copiliot/VB gives all the control back to the driver. I know what you mean now. It won't downshift like it should...waits to long or takes too much throttle input cause the converter is tighter.

I am still in no way bashing DTT...heck I amost got one before the ATS thing got hammered out. Pourin's point is simply that monster hp takes more than one disc to harness in a tranny (converter diameter) our size. 800 hp is another animal than 500...and 1500 hp...well you get it. There is a point were line pressure just can't get high enough to make up for the "lack" of area.

There are lots of fast triples...I won't even name ATS people (or a couple of ATS dragsters...lol)...but look at TS Performances truck and a bunch of East Coast dudes with Suncoast triples. It is just another way to skin the cat...singles vs multi's, but to a point.

Oh...and back on target. FULL BUILD. Or it will cost you...
Old 01-10-2007, 06:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cquestad

Oh...and back on target. FULL BUILD. Or it will cost you...
yea i was gonna wait for the funds to come in to do the flexplate and the output shaft...heres my flex plate:

Old 01-10-2007, 06:10 PM

Nice...I need to find a picture of my mistake. I decided to wait for a while before I did my intermediate shaft...well 60k later (it did last a while) I splintered it so bad it destroyed everything...case...converter...are internals.

That will teach ya! A couple of inches of the shaft turned into shrapnel. I was not even on it that hard...and fatigue caught up.

I have almost 60k on my FULL build now and have gained another 50hp (peak) and easily 100 hp down low over what previously broke...and no issues.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:48 PM

What I dont get is I called the local Dodge dealership,and they quoted me a price of 5400. Just for a complete tranny rebuild with a 3 year 36000 mile warrenty.How do they sell any?
Old 01-10-2007, 08:51 PM

Anyone have a recommendation for a tranny upgrade for use with the smarty? I was leaning toward DTT becasue I live near Fred Swanson (Highly Recommended DTT Installer)....but I dont want to spend all of the coin if it's not going to work well with the smarty (per 973604x4's comments)
Old 01-11-2007, 01:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And no one answered the question about what JUST the parts cost to build a 500hp tranny? I understand brands all charge different amounts... but lets say from a middle of the road company what should it cost?
Old 01-11-2007, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by 973604x4
yea i was gonna wait for the funds to come in to do the flexplate and the output shaft...heres my flex plate:

someone mentioned earlier in this thread about the mounting pads not being on a flat plane on the converter causing the flexplate to grenade because the forces that were being applied. Did you find out what actually caused your flex plate to do this?
Old 01-11-2007, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by subspd
And no one answered the question about what JUST the parts cost to build a 500hp tranny? I understand brands all charge different amounts... but lets say from a middle of the road company what should it cost?
My tranny upgrade (Goerend VB, TC, Billet input shaft) was $2500 just for parts.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jgiachino
Anyone have a recommendation for a tranny upgrade for use with the smarty? I was leaning toward DTT becasue I live near Fred Swanson (Highly Recommended DTT Installer)....but I dont want to spend all of the coin if it's not going to work well with the smarty (per 973604x4's comments)
The smarty doesn't work well on my truck with the actuator and other funky things....i'm a rare one. Dont let me make up your mind.

Originally Posted by HappyGA
someone mentioned earlier in this thread about the mounting pads not being on a flat plane on the converter causing the flexplate to grenade because the forces that were being applied. Did you find out what actually caused your flex plate to do this?
How would you know exactly what caused it? a hard 3rd gear shift at WOT with Crazy Larry and TST stacked killed it. It lasted 20+ hard 20psi launches...not to mention daily abuse which is similar to hard launches....I don't believe the converter is to blame. Next time the tranny is pulled, i'll look for the flat plane theory.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jgiachino
all companies are having this problem with the actuator actually. Its just more apparent on DTT trucks because of the very tight converter...and trust me thats what DTT owners love is the converter.

I absolutely love DTT for their trannies and their service. I would not even consider another route. Look at what all DTT puts in their trannies.....a bunch of billet!!!! i like that.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rkelley
My tranny upgrade (Goerend VB, TC, Billet input shaft) was $2500 just for parts.
THANKS!!! Thats what I am trying to get. Do you mind me asking where you got the parts? Are you happy with the result?
Old 01-12-2007, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by 973604x4
The smarty doesn't work well on my truck with the actuator and other funky things....i'm a rare one. Dont let me make up your mind.

How would you know exactly what caused it? a hard 3rd gear shift at WOT with Crazy Larry and TST stacked killed it. It lasted 20+ hard 20psi launches...not to mention daily abuse which is similar to hard launches....I don't believe the converter is to blame. Next time the tranny is pulled, i'll look for the flat plane theory.

oy vey, man i wasn't bashing, I was asking a question out of curiosity. I did not say THAT was the problem, I asked what you thought it might have been, and on that hard shift that you said you thought caused it, maybe if the plane is off, that force caused it to grenade. I know you said you will check that next time you have it apart, but I hope you don't have to take it back apart.. haha, don't wish tranny issues on anyone..
Old 01-12-2007, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by subspd
THANKS!!! Thats what I am trying to get. Do you mind me asking where you got the parts? Are you happy with the result?
Directly from Dave Goerend. DEFINITELY happy with the results

And a great big THANKS to McMopar for installing it. Great guy!

Quick Reply: '06 48RE - TC/VB or Full build