3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

'06 48RE - TC/VB or Full build

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 12:06 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nfsommer
I think you shut him up with this one
Huh? Granted it makes sense but you've also gotta remember that you don't run around on full fuel constantly. Especially while towing 15k. So that right there reduces a TON of strain on the converter. Also, you gotta remember that every company sets their tranny's up differently. I for one am not a believer in the more is better when it comes to disks in the converter. DTT was originally designed as a towing tranny. Also, DTT goes in and instead of cranking pressures up sky high, they make more efficient use out of the pressure that is already there by eliminating internal leaks. Yes they increase pressure but not sky high like some builders do. That right there is better thinking to me that going and putting a bunch of disks in the converter and cranking pressures way up. The whole thing about a single disk slipping while pulling cause your only at half throttle instead of full is a good idea, but not a valid point. Otherwise there would be TONS and TONS of DTT failures on the road and there just aren't. Don't forget that Goerends also makes a single disk converter so obviously he believes in them also.

Phil, anxious doesn't describe it. I try and get as much sleep as I can because it helps pass the day quicker.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BigBlue
Huh? Granted it makes sense but you've also gotta remember that you don't run around on full fuel constantly. Especially while towing 15k. So that right there reduces a TON of strain on the converter. Also, you gotta remember that every company sets their tranny's up differently. I for one am not a believer in the more is better when it comes to disks in the converter. DTT was originally designed as a towing tranny. Also, DTT goes in and instead of cranking pressures up sky high, they make more efficient use out of the pressure that is already there by eliminating internal leaks. Yes they increase pressure but not sky high like some builders do. That right there is better thinking to me that going and putting a bunch of disks in the converter and cranking pressures way up. The whole thing about a single disk slipping while pulling cause your only at half throttle instead of full is a good idea, but not a valid point. Otherwise there would be TONS and TONS of DTT failures on the road and there just aren't. Don't forget that Goerends also makes a single disk converter so obviously he believes in them also.

Phil, anxious doesn't describe it. I try and get as much sleep as I can because it helps pass the day quicker.
Good explanation on the tranny pressure...i know some of that info but am not technically inclinded enough to write it out. James educated me

Yea i got lucky...when James did my tranny he was healthy and did the tranny and Juice/A2 in one day....and that day was long enough!
Old 11-08-2006, 12:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Blue,

From what I have heard DTT uses some of the highest line pressure in the industry. A friend with one said his line pressure is at 220 PSI WOT? That is HIGH!!
Old 11-08-2006, 12:17 PM
Banned

Hmm. Maybe I'm mistaking them with someone else. When I get mine back I'll check. I know my valve body WOT pressure was only around 150 I believe. Need to check on that. Sorry for the bad info.

Phil, I would have it back today but he tripped over the dog and tweaked his back and when he went back to work on it his back started to spasm slightly so he had to quit. I'm hoping for today but I have a feeling that it'll be tomorrow.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:18 PM

I'm hoping for today but I have a feeling that it'll be tomorrow.
This is worse than waiting for Santa, isn't it!!
Old 11-08-2006, 12:19 PM
Banned

I'm dying here. I'm having to drive mom's stock dmax complete with mom stickers on the back.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:20 PM

I'm dying here. I'm having to drive mom's stock dmax complete with mom stickers on the back.
Now that's funny-- I'll bet the chicks DIG it!!
Old 11-08-2006, 12:31 PM
Banned

haha thats horrible! when i don't have my truck, i am confined to a 63 volkswagon go cart thats street legal. I would take a dmax over that anyday!
Old 11-08-2006, 04:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mcmopar
Now that's funny-- I'll bet the chicks DIG it!!
Took a girl out to dinner in it. She missed my dodge as well.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:03 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Silver76
I just installed a Goerend Torque converter (stock valve body) and my mileage is up at least 1.5mpg.

Shifts feel firm, but not harsh in tow/haul mode. Without tow/haul, shifts feel about the same- but tranny feels much better than stock. Overall, I am pretty pleased.

Mine is a 2006 QC 4X4 with 14,000 miles on it.
Have you pulled any big weight yet. I am curious to see how this setup does. How many rpm drops do you get from shift to shift? When you get on it pulling a load at a stand still how does it do?
Old 01-09-2007, 02:23 PM

iam in the same boat, u guys think a HTS TC & VB would hold up these mods, Intake, 5" exhaust, 160hp predator programmer?? thats all i plan on for awhile, if not forever.. its daily driven...
Old 01-10-2007, 02:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How much JUST in parts would it cost to build a tranny to handle 500hp?
Old 01-10-2007, 03:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by subspd
How much JUST in parts would it cost to build a tranny to handle 500hp?
which companies' parts? BIG difference there!

Some will say you need parts that other companies say you don't. Good luck with it.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:10 PM

Still waiting to hear about any big time pullers with single disks.....

Good one Justin...
Old 01-10-2007, 04:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cquestad
Still waiting to hear about any big time pullers with single disks.....

Why are we concerned with sled pullin with singles? Thats an application....not a broad one i might add. the triple disc is better in this situation and a looser converter is better in this one and only situation.

A loose triple disc is better for sled pulling because: loose is good because the high revving gets turbos lighted quicker and easier...and there is more suface area to grip and go is why the triple is needed.

triple disc converters are slower on the street because...if nothing else, they are heavier. single disc converters are faster on the street because they lock up and go faster at lower rpm than triple discs...

for $400 more DTT will build a triple disc...thats no secret. They do suggest it for the sled pulling application and that application only....as i understand it. my tranny still has no trash in the pan even after shattering a stock flex plate....single disc for me forever!

now the actuator problems on 05+ trucks is annoying....and if any company has a solution for that, i want to see it!

Quick Reply: '06 48RE - TC/VB or Full build