3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

'06 48RE - TC/VB or Full build

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 11:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First, Dave Goerend doesn't recommend a flexplate either. What most places haven't figured out yet. or don't want to share and lose a sale, is that the problem with broken flexplates is not the flexplate. It is the TC. There is inconsistancy in the surface plane of the tabs that bolt the TC and flexplate together. If they are not exactly, when you tighten down the bolts, it puts stress on the flexplate which is what eventually causes the failure.

Second, on the single disc converters. Dunrite also pushes a single disc and says that it holds up in 800hp trucks. But here is why. What are most 800hp trucks used for? Drag racing or sled pulling. In other words, wide open throttle conditions. They crank the VB pressure up so that at wide open throttle, there is enough pressure to make the single disc hold. Here is the problem with using that set up in your daily driver. Say you have a 15k pound load and are crusing down the highway and come to a slight hill. Let's say it is a hill that requires 1/2 throttle to maintain speed. At half throttle, you don't have full line pressure in the tranny and do not have enough pressure to make that single disc hold. If you have a bombed truck that is not gonig to operate at WOT all the time, you want a tripple disc that will hold when there is less pressure applied to it.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:48 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mcmopar
Funny thing about that, I have heard from multiple people that DTT has been working on a triple!! I cannot back that up, but its been talked about.

There is nothing wrong with a triple, just like the number of folks using a multi-plate clutch.
cool i'll check into that. i try to keep up with these things.

Originally Posted by omaharam
First, Dave Goerend doesn't recommend a flexplate either. What most places haven't figured out yet. or don't want to share and lose a sale, is that the problem with broken flexplates is not the flexplate. It is the TC. There is inconsistancy in the surface plane of the tabs that bolt the TC and flexplate together. If they are not exactly, when you tighten down the bolts, it puts stress on the flexplate which is what eventually causes the failure.

Second, on the single disc converters. Dunrite also pushes a single disc and says that it holds up in 800hp trucks. But here is why. What are most 800hp trucks used for? Drag racing or sled pulling. In other words, wide open throttle conditions. They crank the VB pressure up so that at wide open throttle, there is enough pressure to make the single disc hold. Here is the problem with using that set up in your daily driver. Say you have a 15k pound load and are crusing down the highway and come to a slight hill. Let's say it is a hill that requires 1/2 throttle to maintain speed. At half throttle, you don't have full line pressure in the tranny and do not have enough pressure to make that single disc hold. If you have a bombed truck that is not gonig to operate at WOT all the time, you want a tripple disc that will hold when there is less pressure applied to it.
I can't speak for dunrite...been around 1 dunrite and was not impressed...but i can tell you i've dogged my tranny towing and racing and it has performed flawlessly for me. Never had any problems towing with line pressure....it just pulls pulls and pulls! but we all have our favorites....and personally i am looking to go ride in a Goerend truck...i've been told its a different style from DTT...so i'm curious to know...but i like the firmness of my DTT.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:44 PM

I am a cummins newbie compared to most of you...but I do plan to eventually upgrade my trans.

Here's a couple of semi off-topic questions for you all:

Do the upgraded trannys affect mileage at all? I would think that less slip would create a higher efficiency and increase mileage, no?

How about the harshness of the shifts? The stock tranny is smooth when shifting (mine is at least). I see this as a bad thing , meaning it is allowing itself to slip some to simulate smooth operation. Are the aftermarket trannys harsh, and not 'street friendly'? I'm sure there is a noticeable difference, but is it enough to become bothersome when just daily driving?

Also, SubSpd, I too am from San Antonio, and would like to know who you end up going with and if they are local. If you get it done, I'd also like a ride in your truck if you dont mind. I'm still a good ways off from tranny upgrades, but some day (gotta get my wife through med school first!)

Take care,
Shawn
Old 11-07-2006, 09:31 PM

I just installed a Goerend Torque converter (stock valve body) and my mileage is up at least 1.5mpg.

Shifts feel firm, but not harsh in tow/haul mode. Without tow/haul, shifts feel about the same- but tranny feels much better than stock. Overall, I am pretty pleased.

Mine is a 2006 QC 4X4 with 14,000 miles on it.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:24 AM
Banned

DTT has a triple disk. Pryed a little and found out why but not sure I'm allowed to release the info. It's definately not because their singles can't hold the power. Jim Fulmer is running a single disk DTT as is Rjohnson as is a bunch of other very high HP guys. I'm having a single disk installed in my truck as we speak. I have no doubt that it can hold what I want for power. Call up Stefan at DTT and talk to him. I, like 973604x4, have been around many of the other competitors and although Goerend's was incredibly impressive to me, I preferred DTT's way of building the tranny. Basically what it comes down to is price and who you feel comfortable with. Talk to the big guys and whoever you feel the most comfortable with and who you think will serve you best spend your money with.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BigBlue
DTT has a triple disk. Pryed a little and found out why but not sure I'm allowed to release the info. It's definately not because their singles can't hold the power. Jim Fulmer is running a single disk DTT as is Rjohnson as is a bunch of other very high HP guys. I'm having a single disk installed in my truck as we speak. I have no doubt that it can hold what I want for power. Call up Stefan at DTT and talk to him. I, like 973604x4, have been around many of the other competitors and although Goerend's was incredibly impressive to me, I preferred DTT's way of building the tranny. Basically what it comes down to is price and who you feel comfortable with. Talk to the big guys and whoever you feel the most comfortable with and who you think will serve you best spend your money with.

Jim Fulmer is the 800hp 12 valve with a stock flex plate...and over 50,000 miles on his DTT. Rjohnson last i heard is well over 600hp with a 2 year old tranny, flawless i might add with a single disc.

Yes if you have your heart set on a triple disc, DTT will make one for you. Their singles work amazingly well. There is no problems with single disc trannies not holding under half power up hill....infact i know of DTT guys who pull 20k with the cruise control, uphill or flat.

Not bashing Goerend by any means, like i said i am wanting to go investigate one....i'm tired of only being able to read about Goerend.....

but DTT is a serious company with great products that does not need to be neglected in tranny talk, in my opinion.

hey tyler, tranny done yet? i talked to him today, he said you are a little anxious.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:49 AM

Second, on the single disc converters. Dunrite also pushes a single disc and says that it holds up in 800hp trucks. But here is why. What are most 800hp trucks used for? Drag racing or sled pulling. In other words, wide open throttle conditions. They crank the VB pressure up so that at wide open throttle, there is enough pressure to make the single disc hold
I have yet to see an 800hp dunrite equipped truck.
Also please name one good sledpullin truck that runs a single disc torque converter?
Old 11-08-2006, 07:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 973604x4

Not bashing Goerend by any means, like i said i am wanting to go investigate one....i'm tired of only being able to read about Goerend.....

but DTT is a serious company with great products that does not need to be neglected in tranny talk, in my opinion.

It's called customer service, Dave has it...............
Old 11-08-2006, 07:58 AM

Go to their web site you can read all about them.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:46 AM
Banned

It's called customer service, Dave has it...............
my experience with DTT has been top notch! can't be beat.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:48 AM

my experience with DTT has been top notch! can't be beat.
Everybody has their own opinion!!
Old 11-08-2006, 08:49 AM
Banned

Everybody has their own opinion!!
Thats the beauty of this site!
Old 11-08-2006, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by omaharam

I think you shut him up with this one
Old 11-08-2006, 11:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by nfsommer
I think you shut him up with this one
who are we talking about?
Old 11-08-2006, 11:45 AM

I have a 99 24valve with the 47re with a freshened up trans but stock components. I have a billet single disc converter and a transgo shift kit thats it and I have done towing and drag racing without any problems. The biggest weak link is the converter and the valve body is programed for nice soft shifts. The Ideal would be to build it but if your not planning on going any further with power upgrades I would contact DTT or Diesel Trans Technologies. They have there stuff togeter. Oh by the way my truck puts down 485 rwhp and 1156 ftlbs of tourque. I also suggest using the factory fluid or AMS oil this will keep the thrust washer behind the sun shell much happier.

Quick Reply: '06 48RE - TC/VB or Full build