3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

'06 48RE - TC/VB or Full build

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 07:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 48RE - TC/VB or Full build

OK - yet another 48RE thread. I have done lots of research on this site and still no definitive answer. I have an '06 CTD with the 48RE auto transmission. I just installed a Bully Dog Triple Dog w/Monitor combo a few weeks ago and am worried about over stressing the tranny. I don't drive too hard, but I don't drive like grandpa either.

I am trying to determine if the Valve Body and Torque Converter upgrade is enough to handle the Extreme setting on the TD. I don't hotrod too much, but I admit I love the power of the Cummins with the Triple Dog. A few times I have laid into the throttle 1/2 way and hear the engine running hard but the truck can only go so fast. 1/4 or 1/2 throttle gives the same pickup speed so I imagine the tranny just cannot handle the additional power.

I read in another thread the VB/TC upgrade is good, but the clutch bands are the weakest point and need to be replaced as well (pardon me as I am tranny ignorant).

So, the real question is: will the VB/TC upgrade be enough to handle the TD on Extreme or do I need to get a rebuilt tranny from a performance shop? At this point, I don't expect to get any more performance stuff on the truck (other than an intake), but you never know...

Thanks for any advice...
Old 11-04-2006, 07:46 AM
Banned

if i could afford the 5 grand or so for a built tranny i would do it in a heartbeat. if not or the boss wont let ya, the VB and TC is a good upgrade.

brett
Old 11-04-2006, 07:52 AM

I have an 03 with the 48re and I am completely rebuilding it. I am getting a new TC, VB, all new clutches and bands, a billet input shaft, billet 4 ring accumulator, servo blocker, 4.2 band lever, and a double deep pan that is all i can afford right now. It is pretty much fully built except for the billet intermediate and billet output and flexplate. As long as you arent going to be doing boosted launches or sledpulling/drag racing a TC/VB should be good unless you run crazy larry then you might want to do a full rebuild. Im going with HTS parts and building it myself. Luken has a full HTS tranny and he has been pounding the dog snot out of it and his truck is well into the 12's in the 1/4 and he ain't broke it yet!

Sorry for such a long post!

P.S. PARTS ARE ON ORDER! FINALLY!
Old 11-04-2006, 08:09 AM

Definately go full build. Especially if you can afford it. That way, you'll never ever be held back by your tranny.
Old 11-04-2006, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Boz007
Definately go full build. Especially if you can afford it. That way, you'll never ever be held back by your tranny.
well said, If you can afford it GO FOR IT.
Why buy a hemi when you can afford a cummins.
Once you rebuild it you will relize hao bad the stock tranny is.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So I CAN'T afford a 5k tranny but I have a good friend that builds them for a living. I could spend 2k he said he would do all the labor for $300. That leaves 1700 to spend on parts. What parts should I intall and what brand HTS or Suncoast or Dunright or ATS? From the looks of things this is only enough money for a TC/VB how much more to do the bands and input shaft?
Old 11-04-2006, 01:26 PM

A Goerend TC and VB are dyno proven to hold 650hp with an otherwise stock 48re. Not to say that if you 4wheel launch it at 20psi that it won't break a shaft, but, if you just get on her without the high boost the clutches and shafts are fine.

For what it's worth. All I have is a TC/VB and I launch at 5-6psi in 4wd and have no problems. I spent about $1700 and did the work myself. If you pay to have the work done it will cost you $300 - $600. Dave will do it in his shop for $400, but you have to get to Northeast Iowa for that.
Old 11-04-2006, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by omaharam
A Goerend TC and VB are dyno proven to hold 650hp with an otherwise stock 48re. Not to say that if you 4wheel launch it at 20psi that it won't break a shaft, but, if you just get on her without the high boost the clutches and shafts are fine.

For what it's worth. All I have is a TC/VB and I launch at 5-6psi in 4wd and have no problems. I spent about $1700 and did the work myself. If you pay to have the work done it will cost you $300 - $600. Dave will do it in his shop for $400, but you have to get to Northeast Iowa for that.
You got a number or link for Goerend?
Old 11-04-2006, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Loco.Breath
You got a number or link for Goerend?

http://www.gbtransmissions.com/
Old 11-04-2006, 04:11 PM

Thanks Boz
Old 11-04-2006, 04:16 PM

Cool sounds like what I need to do.
Old 11-04-2006, 04:51 PM
tcb

i have a dunrite converter and valve body on the way as well as a few other bits and pieces. dunrite and gorend are the quite companies, but everyone i have heard of that has either raves about how well they do. just wish the delivery man would hurry.
tim
Old 11-04-2006, 07:13 PM

Let us know how it goes. How much was the total? What were the "other" bits and pieces? How much is everyone paying for a double deep pan???
Old 11-04-2006, 08:11 PM

Save your money on a pan. I know they are pretty popular, but why? Because they are popular, that's why. People buy a lot of things because they see others have bought them. When I did my tranny, Dave Goerend told me not to buy a pan. He even told me not to spend the money on a tranny temp gauge. The reason for the pan is for added cooling. The reason for the guage is to monitor temps. Here's the thing. Heat in the 48re is caused by the TC slipping. When you put in a converter that doesn't slip as much, it doesn't generate the heat. Dave said the only way I would get my tranny hot with the new TC is if I were to hook up a very heavy load and pull it at 5mph for a long period of time or spend 45 minutes trying to back it up and going back and forth the whole time. In other words, under normal driving and pulling circumstances, the tighter TC does not allow enough slippage to overheat the tranny. My opinion - spend your money on something else.

Ok, all you double deep owners, let me have it.
Old 11-04-2006, 11:20 PM

What is the cost of the TC and VB from goerend

Quick Reply: '06 48RE - TC/VB or Full build