3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

03 cummins predator/puck stack

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 03 cummins predator/puck stack

Ok I need advice on what to do. I had the predator on extreme and had no problems at all. Then got the puff tune installed and still no problems. But I recently purchased a puck and then got the puff tune switched to the rkl puff tune and had the puck stacked on. Now my truck has the clatter sound of an older 24 valve or a 12. When I start it cold its horribly loud and then drastically decreases as soon as engine reaches 160-180 degrees. I took the puck off to see if it was the tune or a bad puck and it still clattered with the tune, so I put the puck back on and then swapped the tune to just the puff tune and clatter is basically gone, but the truck does not run as strong. What is causing this clatter sound? i have been told three diff things, a. I am not getting enough fuel (need lift pump) b. my timing is incorrect c. my puck is somehow working against the tune itself.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I want my truck to run great but also do need it to get to and from work daily and everything in between so if the clatter means trouble please let me know
Old 05-04-2009, 06:02 PM

Sounds like a timing issue with the new tune.

Our trucks adjust timing mostly due to the engine temp. Sounds like your tune isn't lettling it retard the timing for the initial warm up.

J.D.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:06 PM

thanks for the reply , but what should i do and can it cause major damage?
how can it be fixed
Old 05-04-2009, 07:14 PM

Go back to the old tune or try a different stack.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:00 PM

well thats a no brainer. thanks but i really expected some more in depth advice. thanks
Old 05-05-2009, 08:27 AM

Well, I sold you the puck so I'll provide some feedback! I tried the rkl tunes also, they do make my truck rattle pretty hard to. I mean, the rkl tunes are pretty hot tunes, and I think they get this by using a LOT of timing and fuel. To me, personally, the rkl tunes are not daily tunes, but drag/pulling tunes only. I run my extreme puck daily, but the regular extreme tunes is the most that I use and it's for the exact reason you are describing. Puck or no puck, the rkls will make your truck rattle more.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:52 AM

i agree with the above,the rkl tunes are about as extreme as u get with the pred and they have a lot of timing,and duration to make that power,with timing comes rattle,is it bad,who knows but like stated above,the rkls maybe should be used for the trak only,i belive the rkl puff tunes come with a no timing added tune,try that one,i use it and its not as noisy for sure,
Old 05-05-2009, 09:59 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^^^ what he said is correct... and the other advice above too.

What you are hearing is the effect of a lot of timing advance from that particular tune. While I'm not saying that particular tune and stack will cause damage, it is well known that too much timing will melt a motor so you must be judicious in the use of your stack. Personally, I would run the regular puff tune.

Now on your puck, is it loaded with the standard tune, or the stacking tune? The standard tune adds a little timing as well, the stacking tune does not. If you are running the standard puck tune with the rkl... then you have too much timing and I go back to the advice above of using the regular puff tune. The puck is not "working against" the predator... they are made to stack, but you have to have the correct tunes in each to compliment.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:50 PM

I swapped the tune to what i believe is the basic puff tune and still have my puck. The clatter is now very minimal, if any. As far as how im running the puck, I just installed it and turn it either to ninety or fifty. would you recomend me using the factory stack settings?

do you think that running the puff tune and having to puck is ok to drive daily without issues other than possible tranny or lift pump failure?

by the way thanks alot for the info guys.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:14 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Well it would be helpful to know if the puck has a stack tune loaded or regular tune loaded. A call to Diablosport with your puck ser# should tell you. I do recommend the stack tune to remove the timing.

In any case, the puck is a very aggressive pressure box. I recommend using it only at the track or when you want to pass someone or just brief shots of power and not for daily driving. That advice really holds for any pressure box. The reason is that all that pressure can shorten injector life. So flick the switch to use it and turn it off when you don't need it. The predator you should be able to daily drive with as you see fit.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:12 PM

im pretty sure the puck is a pres only box,ive never heard of one that can be sent in to have timming added or removed,not saying it cant happen just saying ive never heard of it thats all,ive been on diablos site for years and i havenet heard of it,if u look on the pred when u load the rkl puff tune there should be like 4 there,ext puff,extr rkl and extr rkl puff and ext rkl puff no timing,try the no timing one,i run that one and its good,also do u have a rail pres gauge,if not mite be a good idea,the rkl tune doesnt raise it much but the puck does,if u romp on her ive seen 27k,eeeeek,but some will say pres will net u some milage so if ur easy on the go peadal u may gain some.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:58 AM

I consider the puck like a mini-nitrous switch. I don't really use it daily, but only when I need a little extra boost over the extreme tune.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:47 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Originally Posted by 5POINT9
I consider the puck like a mini-nitrous switch. I don't really use it daily, but only when I need a little extra boost over the extreme tune.
Exactly!....
Old 05-06-2009, 09:53 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

From the power puck page:

The Stacker tunes will allow user to run the vehicle with a Predator tune and the PowerPuck so each supported tune will have 3 different on-the-fly power levels at the flick of a switch on the PowerPuck.
Now although this is from the power puck page, I could be wrong and it is conceivable that the statement is related to the Pred with a stack tune. However:

The Power Puck remaps the fuel delivery of the diesel injection pump and advances the injection-timing curve.

Clearly the puck also adds timing...
Old 05-06-2009, 11:19 AM

I've dabbled (sp?) in some Cummins engine programming (Cal-term) on 2003's with official Cummins software. The only way that I could see some timing changes being made through the map and fuel rail pressure is minor. By changing what the ecm sees as boost, it MAY alter the timing map a LITTLE. Extra rail pressure COULD start combustion a LITTLE earlier. I personally don't believe most pressure boxes can alter timing a considerable amount, at least not enough to make a huge mpg or egt change.

Quick Reply: 03 cummins predator/puck stack