3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

03 07 in cylinder EGR delete

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 05:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
03 07 in cylinder EGR delete

This takes replacing the cam shaft but gives 40% improvement in MPG and reduces oil contamination by 75%.
Read this over on the Cummins forum.
Any reality to this.

Thanks
Old 12-25-2013, 07:56 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Yes.

I forget who, but it has been posted here several times too. It's something I really want to do.
Old 12-25-2013, 08:49 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Not true. I only got a 1 mpg gain by changing the cam. I did get great performance improvements. It is more than just a cam swap. Turbo upgrade for free flowing turbine and some tuning to increase the timing that has been retarded for emissions. As far as a reduction in the soot in the oil. I haven't seen that either.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:38 AM
Winner winner chicken dinner!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I also switched cams in my other 06, you are not going to see 40%. I got 1-1.5mpg on average, oil did not stay clean much longer if any at all. I will admit the only way to really prove it would be oil analysis, and I don't do them. It would just give me more to worry about .

Now the benefits are broadened power band, and spool 200-300 rpm sooner. 2/3 might not sound like much but its a lifetime on these trucks, even more so as you get into larger chargers. I am a big fan of cam mods, but you have to realize what it is going to do for you. It's not going to net you a huge difference but it will change the driveability of your truck, and give you even more power and torque lower in the rpm range. (Oh and most aren't going to net you much top end HP, that's why a lot of guys leave them stock.)
Old 12-26-2013, 09:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
the cam swap must be done along with other things to see the gain and it depends on the year of the truck that it is of what needs to be done. there is no in- cylinder egr on the 03 to 04.4 trucks but they have the bad cam, the cam change only helps about 0.5 mpg the 04.5 to 06 is the hardest and most expensive. at the time we did ours smarty had not figured out how to remove the third injection pulse, now that he has I do not think you will have to change nozzles to 50 hp the now mod might be a cam change and the cam needs to be a economy or towing cam, not a race cam the degree the cam opens is more important than duration, either you get high end hp or low end torque and fuel economy, at the time we did ours pdr was the only one available, others have said the colt II is as good as the pdr and supposedly Hamilton has a new cam out for this purpose. a smarty jr set on default tow, removal of turbocharger control by the ecm and a larger turbo back exhaust. the 06 to the 6.7 is easier a cam change, efi live by anarchy, exhaust and you do not have to do a turbo mod. this model gets the biggest gain in mpg
Old 12-26-2013, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with other comments about changing cam. It did improve how my truck runs and spools. I did not notice a mpg gain and oil still gets black very quick.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:52 AM

you have to get rid of the third injection pulse to help the oil.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All I have read about stopping 3rd injection is it hurts power?

Has anyone succeeded in removing 3rd event and maintaining same power level/drivability?

Maybe a UDC program someone could share to show how the 3rd event tune looks compared to the stock program?

I would be interested in trying but from all I had read it did not sound like the gains were worth the effort.

Thanks, Jeff
Old 12-26-2013, 11:56 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Unless I misunderstood MADs has removed the third injection and kept power. If I'm wrong madhat or soulZoo can correct me.

I'm running my smarty and the oil is just as dirty as ever
Old 12-26-2013, 01:08 PM

The third injection event is a FARCE, it has been deleted by several tuners. Heck I have a single injection tune and my oil still gets dirty and my mileage did NOT go through the roof.
It has actually been found the pre and post events can help with spool and reducing smoke, it has also been show a single event tune can keep the power you want heck some even claim it can create more power. The issue is the single event can be pretty dirty on some trucks, mine included.
I for one will admit I was on the bus years ago thinking removing the third event would lead to great leaps in mileage and reduce oil contamination/dilution, it just isn't the case.
Old 12-26-2013, 01:15 PM

You would have to contact Mads and see what versions they have if any remove the third event. I have heard they had done it, they would know in what SW its in, but it really doesn't make the difference we all thought it would.
Old 12-26-2013, 01:54 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RyeThomas
The third injection event is a FARCE, it has been deleted by several tuners. Heck I have a single injection tune and my oil still gets dirty and my mileage did NOT go through the roof.
It has actually been found the pre and post events can help with spool and reducing smoke, it has also been show a single event tune can keep the power you want heck some even claim it can create more power. The issue is the single event can be pretty dirty on some trucks, mine included.
I for one will admit I was on the bus years ago thinking removing the third event would lead to great leaps in mileage and reduce oil contamination/dilution, it just isn't the case.
^^^ This.

There has been so much speculation and disinformation regarding the 3rd event (most of it just repeated internet myth for which I am guilty of believing too) then I saw some oscilloscope printouts... and finally the admission from Marco that the 3rd even had been deleted long ago from Smarty tunes.

Plus, I have an 04 that doesn't have the 3rd event anyway and I had that "clean oil" up to about 7-8000 miles. Then after I started bombing, the oil was dirty right away after changing.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok simple question then
Why does our oil turn Back immediately with or without 3rd event?????????
Something along the lines of return Exhaust gas into the crank case?
Old 01-16-2014, 06:40 PM

NO 3rd event here, just smarty jr. on SW1-oil stays clean for 5-6K miles
Old 01-17-2014, 08:57 AM

'03-04 are known for keeping the oil soot free longer comparing to the '04.5 and up version (in stock form).

Quick Reply: 03 07 in cylinder EGR delete