3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

[B]Food for Thought[/B]

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[B]Food for Thought[/B]

on a gas engine if too much fuel is not burned up do to bad plug or cross wires or something to that nature it will plug the catalytic converter up. are the diesel converters made the same and as much fuel that is poured into them with the mods we do, with the black smoke we produce, not all the fuel is burned I would think. Will it eventually hurt our converters or do we run hot enough to keep it burned off. Just some food for thought.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:39 AM

What CAT????
Old 02-26-2008, 11:42 AM

The only thing I would care about is whether or not it's plugged up. I could care less if it works. No smog checks here, at least for now...

That said, I think it gets blown out from time to time...

For whatever reason, I still have mine... It hasn't fallen off yet.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:47 AM

what is this..... Catalitic Converter device you speak of??
Old 02-26-2008, 01:01 PM
madhat's monkey boy...

The catalyst in the diesel converters is made of different stuff than a gasser but kinda work the same. If you have a heavily fueled truck the catalyst gets coated in the black goodness and gets burned off when the EGT's get hot enough. It doesnt take a lot of EGT either to get those things to their efficiency range. Before I moved to Mexico and took my cat off I had Crazy Larry for about a year blowing black through mine. I looked through it and it was very clean, to my surprise. I think it would take a insane soot load to plug one up... like a 12v
Old 02-26-2008, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by matego
The catalyst in the diesel converters is made of different stuff than a gasser but kinda work the same. If you have a heavily fueled truck the catalyst gets coated in the black goodness and gets burned off when the EGT's get hot enough. It doesnt take a lot of EGT either to get those things to their efficiency range. Before I moved to Mexico and took my cat off I had Crazy Larry for about a year blowing black through mine. I looked through it and it was very clean, to my surprise. I think it would take a insane soot load to plug one up... like a 12v
although i thought that the ctd owners manual instructed truck owners to remove the cat after taking delivery of the vehicle , i agree with matego. one good romp on the go pedal, will go a long way to cleaning the crap out of your cat, especially if you get your egt's a little toasty.