3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

*REVISED* Homemade Air intake, The "whistler" V 2.0

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The white directional veins in the lower portion of the intake tube are definatly there for a reason! They DIRECT the AIR that is going into the turbo with a smooth directional path! Taking them out is causing the air to slam into the bottom portion of the lower intake tube causing turbulence in the air stream reducing the efficiency of the Intake!!!!! Read up on Directional AIR VEINS and you will see why Cummins went to the expense of installing them in there!!! JB
Old 03-20-2007, 07:25 PM
Banned

So why doesn't the aftermarket air filter's and box's come with these vanes??? Not to say they aren't functional but if they were that important wouldn't the aftermarket guys have them too??

Shane
Old 03-20-2007, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Luvnacumns
So why doesn't the aftermarket air filter's and box's come with these vanes??? Not to say they aren't functional but if they were that important wouldn't the aftermarket guys have them too??

Shane
x2?? My Afe torque booster tube didn't have them in. If it improved air direction and momentum wouldn't they have done more research using them. I think any obstruction, no matter how small, would hinder air flow. An expert from Cummins would be helpful or maybe someone with a physics major.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:23 PM

Here's mine! Went to local OTR parts dept, picked up 8'in of 5.5 aluminum pipe, cut to fit in place of plastic tube, painted, re-assembled. Total time with paint to dry and a couple of cold ones, 30 min. and $7.00. Too much effort to try and remove plastic baffles.

Old 03-20-2007, 11:29 PM

Shane
Very good point!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BJ
The ONLY reason for the vanes even installed is to keep the sound from resinating back up the intake to quiet the "whistle". What would you say if I suggested to reverse the flow through the vanes? Abviously that is not going to allow the air to flow very efficiently and make it difficult to get the air needed to the turbo. This principle also applies to sound. The air noise going down the intake and created by the turbo will be minor coming back up with the vanes in place.

The vanes may slightly help the stock intake flow down to the turbo, BUT once you open up the intake by putting on an aftermarket filter, ported air box, *****'s intake or whatever, as I stated before you completely change the air flow and free it up. More air means more room is needed to flow the air efficiently therefore freeing up the space where the vanes are and allowing the intake to flow.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ***700
Very good point!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BJ
The ONLY reason for the vanes even installed is to keep the sound from resinating back up the intake to quiet the "whistle". What would you say if I suggested to reverse the flow through the vanes? Abviously that is not going to allow the air to flow very efficiently and make it difficult to get the air needed to the turbo. This principle also applies to sound. The air noise going down the intake and created by the turbo will be minor coming back up with the vanes in place.

The vanes may slightly help the stock intake flow down to the turbo, BUT once you open up the intake by putting on an aftermarket filter, ported air box, *****'s intake or whatever, as I stated before you completely change the air flow and free it up. More air means more room is needed to flow the air efficiently therefore freeing up the space where the vanes are and allowing the intake to flow.
X2

The vanes may have some function but I don't believe enough to hinder or help.. Have you ever opened up your hood with an aftermarket filter sitting there... That thing sounds like it is going to suck you through the filter itself!! I don't think there needs to be fins to help put the air where it needs to be???
Old 03-20-2007, 11:46 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So why no more HP if air is freed up?
Old 03-20-2007, 11:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by annabelle
So why no more HP if air is freed up?
Almost all aftermarket filter system's have dyno prooven hp upgrades...
Old 03-21-2007, 12:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
all someone has to do is go and dyno there truck with and without the tag and report back.....of course I doubt anybody would want to spend cash on something like that...75 bucks just to be right or wrong
Old 03-21-2007, 12:02 AM

Have you ever opened up your hood with an aftermarket filter sitting there... That thing sounds like it is going to suck you through the filter itself!!
That right there is funny, but its true and sometimes almost scary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Almost all aftermarket filter system's have dyno prooven hp upgrades...
Prooven dyno numbers private to the designing company that the public can never match!!!!
Old 03-21-2007, 12:03 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 53 ******
all someone has to do is go and dyno there truck with and without the tag and report back.....of course I doubt anybody would want to spend cash on something like that...75 bucks just to be right or wrong
I would be curious to know what does happen...
Old 03-21-2007, 12:42 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
After market HP is advertising. Real dyno shows nothing or little.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by annabelle
After market HP is advertising. Real dyno shows nothing or little.
Thats very true!!! Sadly enough we all buy the accessories hoping that what they are telling us is true!!! I guess there is something to be said about having a "moded" truck, or atleast its custom to its owner.

Old 04-04-2007, 06:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Mpc Pipe

I bought the MPC Eliminator Pipe from Geno's -- Loosen the worm clamps---pop out the original muffler--- Install MPC pipe which is Chrome open pipe that fits perfect into the original hoses........piece of cake...about 1/2 a hundred.....looks
Old 04-04-2007, 08:32 PM

What about the silencer ring? I did that as well as adding an Amsoil EaA189 filter, removing the vanes, & intake muffler thing. Sounds a lot better than stock in my opinion. My next mod might be trying to swiss cheese the airbox and maybe a ram air type duct

Quick Reply: *REVISED* Homemade Air intake, The "whistler" V 2.0