3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Won't crank, bad PCM or ECM?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2024 | 11:28 AM

Won't crank, bad PCM or ECM?

So i was driving into town the other day and got a water in fuel light on the dash and the truck started bucking like i was turning the key on and off over and over again. It smoothed out and I pulled over, drained some water/fuel out. Started it up and drove another couple miles and the truck started bucking again. It ended up dieing this time and wouldnt crank. I pulled a p0562 code and cleared it and no change. All the guages, windows, radio, hvac, lights and everything else seem to work. There is no gear indicator showing on the dash or change in gears when I shift through them on the minimaxx. The code reader and mini still communicate through the OBD port. The solenoid wire is not getting 12v but when I send 12v to it, the truck cranks but wont start. It has new batteries, all fuses and fusable like are good. The red security light stays on for a second when i turn the key forward. Im thinking its the PCM or ECM. Can someone shed some much appreciated light on this issue?

Last edited by MrNaypp; 02-25-2024 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Forgot info
Old 02-25-2024 | 07:38 PM

Thats a system low voltage code. Could be a bad battery, bad battery connection, bad battery cable, bad alternator. Check all your connections and cables thoroughly.

the symptom suggests get both batteries tested, as it was running low on voltage as this all started happening. Remember to test the batteries individually. If both batteries check out ok, have the alternator tested.

If the alternator hasn’t been doing its job, both batteries will test low. But will usually accept a charge. Charge them both to full capacity before further testing.
The following users liked this post:
nothingbutdarts (02-26-2024)
Old 03-17-2024 | 09:27 PM

How did you figure it out ?

Old 09-18-2024 | 08:38 AM

It sounds like you’re dealing with several issues. Here are some steps to help diagnose the problem:

Water in Fuel – Since you got a water in fuel light and the truck bucked, make sure to drain the fuel system completely and refill with clean fuel. Water can cause serious issues if not properly removed.

Code P0562 – This code usually means there's a problem with the vehicle’s voltage. Check the battery connections and the alternator. Even with new batteries, a bad alternator can cause voltage problems.

No 12V to Solenoid – If the solenoid wire isn’t getting 12V, there might be an issue with the ignition switch or wiring. Check the wiring and connections leading to the solenoid.

Security Light – The red security light could indicate an issue with the anti-theft system. This might affect the PCM or ECM.

PCM/ECM – If you’ve ruled out other issues and the security system is not the problem, the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) or ECM (Engine Control Module) could be faulty. A professional can test these modules for you.

Since the truck cranks but doesn’t start, the problem might be with fuel delivery or the security system. It’s best to have a mechanic with experience in these systems look at it if these steps don’t resolve the issue.