3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Valve cover oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 12:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Valve cover oil leak

The lower section valve cover, next to the cylinder head has developed a oil leak in the aft, exhaust manifold side. Can I just retighten the cover or do I need to change gaskets? Thanx for any advice
Old 06-19-2010, 01:33 AM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
You can check the bolt torque but if tight will need to replace. Clean top of engine really well before taking off since dirt and sand collects on the top of engine. Then wipe down gasket surface really well before putting everything back together with new gastket. Might as well check the valve clearances while you have the cover off.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:37 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I just noticed that I have some very small seepage along the drivers side.
Since my truck has over 142 K miles on it, I am going to get the valves adjusted while we address the seepage. I have not done valves before so I am going to assign this to someone that knows it. Otherwise it could turn out to be a 2 day event for me. Clean and prep, coffee, dismantle, coffee, dismantle, lunch, adjust, nap etc etc etc.

Old 06-19-2010, 11:14 AM
Cummins Guru

Originally Posted by Scotty
I just noticed that I have some very small seepage along the drivers side.
Since my truck has over 142 K miles on it, I am going to get the valves adjusted while we address the seepage. I have not done valves before so I am going to assign this to someone that knows it. Otherwise it could turn out to be a 2 day event for me. Clean and prep, coffee, dismantle, coffee, dismantle, lunch, adjust, nap etc etc etc.

That's how you can tell if a person gets paid by the hour or by the job where I work.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:38 PM

Thank you for the replies! I think I will change the gaskets and adjust valves.Should I retorque the head? It only has 50k mileage. Does anyone have a link to a thread on how to adjust valves? Thanx in advance-Leekyle
Old 06-19-2010, 09:27 PM

subscribing for valve adjustment link
Old 06-22-2010, 07:51 PM
Cummins Guru

STANDARD PROCEDURE - VALVE LASH ADJUSTMENT AND VERIFICATION
NOTE: To obtain accurate readings, valve lash measurements AND adjustments should only be performed when the engine coolant temperature is less than 60° C (140° F).

The 24–valve overhead system is a “low-maintenance” design. Routine adjustments are no longer necessary, however, measurement should still take place when trouble-shooting performance problems, or upon completion of a repair that includes removal and installation of the valve train components or injectors.

Disconnect battery negative cables.
Remove cylinder head cover (Refer to 9 - ENGINE/CYLINDER HEAD/CYLINDER HEAD COVER(S) - REMOVAL).
Using the crankshaft barring tool #7471–B, rotate crankshaft to align damper TDC mark to 12:00 o'clock position.
If both number one cylinder rocker levers are loose, continue to next step.
If both number one clylinder rocker levers are not loose, rotate crankshaft 360 degrees.
With the engine in this position, valve lash can be measured at the following rocker arms: INTAKE 1–2–4 / EXHAUST 1–3–5. Measure the valve lash by inserting a feeler gauge between the rocker arm socket and crosshead. Refer to VALVE LASH LIMIT CHART for the correct specifications. If the measurement falls within the limits, adjustment/resetting is not necessary. If measurement finds the lash outside of the limits, adjustment/resetting is required. VALVE LASH LIMIT CHART INTAKE EXHAUST
0.152 mm ( 0.006 in.) MIN. 0.381 mm (0.015 in.) MIN.
0.381 mm (0.015 in.) MAX. 0.762 mm (0.030 in.) MAX.
NOTE: If measured valve lash falls within these specifications, no adjustment/reset is necessary. Engine operation within these ranges has no adverse affect on performance, emissions, fuel economy or level of engine noise.

If adjustment/resetting is required, loosen the lock nut on rocker arms and turn the adjusting screw until the desired lash is obtained:
INTAKE 0.254 mm (0.010 in.)
EXHAUST 0.508 mm (0.020 in.)
Tighten the lock nut to 24 Nm (18 ft. lbs.) and re-check the valve lash.
Using the crankshaft barring tool, rotate the crankshaft one revolution (360°) to align the damper TDC mark to the 12 o'clock position.
With the engine in this position, valve lash can be measured at the remaining rocker arms: INTAKE 3–5–6 / EXHAUST 2–4–6. Use the same method as above for determining whether adjustment is necessary, and adjust those that are found to be outside of the limits.
Install the cylinder head cover (Refer to 9 - ENGINE/CYLINDER HEAD/CYLINDER HEAD COVER(S) - INSTALLATION).
Connect the battery negative cables.