3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

thinking bout getting 6.7

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 11:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Chad04Ram
With the 6.7, it comes with all the new emissions and all the problems with that. The turbo in the 6.7 clogs. I've had an 01 and 04 Diesel, I traded the 04 in on the 07.5 - 6.7 and I have regretted it. I've been to the shop over 10 times, the check engine light is always on, they have put in a new turbo, still had the same problems, most recently they did the "new fix" of what they call a turbo update which is drilling a hole in the turbo and cleaning it and now I have the check engine light on again. I really wouldn't recommend the new 6.7. I think Dodge doesn't know how to fix them so I just keep going back for more flashes and sensor replacements and turbo fixes - constant problems. Don't do it. MSRP $54,000 18months ago trade in value today is $23,000.
Curious....what's your trucks mileage? ....and key on, mileage in odometer, push and hold the trip reset and that will say what your engine hours are. See what they are and post the numbers up please...
Old 01-01-2009, 11:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 6.7L is a great engine but you have to remember that with the EGR and DPF and NOx filter that these trucks HAVE to be worked hard! If you aren't going to work them hard the truck will not warm up enough to burn the soot off and out of everything (which is why about a third of 6.7L owners are having problems) so you have to try every time to try and get the truck running hot. However I hear 2010 may have some changes......
For 2010 Cummins will offer its MidRange diesel engines with the same proven base architecture as today along with the Cummins Aftertreatment System to meet the near-zero 2010 emissions standards. Cummins ISB and ISL engines will continue to deliver exceptional product performance and reliability with enhancements to the totally integrated system, which includes proven cooled EGR, High Pressure Common Rail fuel system, Variable Geometry Turbocharger, filtration, and electronic controls. The Cummins Aftertreatment System will include Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) technology for reduction of Oxides of Nitrogen (NOx) in addition to the Cummins Particulate Filter, which was introduced in 2007.

SCR technology uses a chemical called Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) and a catalytic converter to significantly reduce NOx. Cummins has successfully been using SCR for a number of years in Europe and will leverage that experience for its EPA ’10 on-highway products.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:01 PM

Dodge man, I've been reading some other posts and see the same thing here and there. Why should you have to work a truck "hard" for it to work better? I just have a hard time believing that. I'm certainly not a Cummins tech or a Dodge mechanic, but I can't see them building a truck that you MUST work hard for it to perform at it's best. Please explain this.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:12 PM

the way i understand it, duramax started working on their engines being cleaner in 2000, while cummins and stroker started in 2006
Old 01-02-2009, 04:01 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
The 6.7 is great, Bluetec sucks.

If you fix it, it will run......
Old 01-02-2009, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by blake.clark
The 6.7 is great, Bluetec sucks.

If you fix it, it will run......
Tha's funny! I like it!
Old 01-02-2009, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by R6Luver
Dodge man, I've been reading some other posts and see the same thing here and there. Why should you have to work a truck "hard" for it to work better? I just have a hard time believing that. I'm certainly not a Cummins tech or a Dodge mechanic, but I can't see them building a truck that you MUST work hard for it to perform at it's best. Please explain this.
I am not the bast at explaining things but I will try, The first thing you need to remember is that these trucks have a DPF, EGR and NOx to make the emissions clean and that is done by all those filters. However you have to keep in mind that the filters need to stay clean as well and in order to do this the engine and exhaust need to get hot to burn it all off. Think of it like this, you have a wood stove and as you know ash starts to fill it up (and soot starts building up) and lets just say your fires are about 500 degrees. Now a fire that burns hotter and longer (lets say 1000F) will burn the ash and soot down even more meaning less cleaning for you. Now think of this same thing in a truck, if the engine doesn't get warmed up the exhaust doesn't get hot enough you are going to clog those filters up fast because it's not getting hot enough to burn it all the way down while those that tow heavy and or run there trucks for long trips it gets hot enough to burn all the filters clean hence better MPG and no problems. (hope this makes sense for you)

Did you ever watch an older diesel start up? Notice all the smoke? It's not running hot enough yet to burn all the fuel so because of no filters we can see it no problem, but then ask yourself why do they stop smoking after a while?...........
Old 01-03-2009, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by phantom 309
the way i understand it, duramax started working on their engines being cleaner in 2000, while cummins and stroker started in 2006
Not sure what you are talking about or mean here but Cummins had to make changes to the old 5.9 12 valve in 1994 to make it cleaner and then again in 1998 they had to change it to the 5.9 24 valve then again in 2003 they made changes and now we have the 6.7L.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:02 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Dodge man
Not sure what you are talking about or mean here but Cummins had to make changes to the old 5.9 12 valve in 1994 to make it cleaner and then again in 1998 they had to change it to the 5.9 24 valve then again in 2003 they made changes and now we have the 6.7L.
Last I heard and read is that the Dmax will need some major work to comply for 2010...have they done that?
Old 01-03-2009, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Scotty
Last I heard and read is that the Dmax will need some major work to comply for 2010...have they done that?
Yes they are going to make some changes also. All I know is that it's out testing.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by R6Luver
Question we ask ourselves quite often is: Why on earth did Mr. X buy a CTD??

Did all the updates on a 6.7 last week. Was one year old and had 5100 miles on it. Camper shell, and NO paint scrapes in the receiver hitch. This truck has NEVER towed anything in it's life. Why on earth would someone buy a CTD for this???

I have another one that an older gentleman purchased just because he had never had a diesel. Oil change required comes on about every 2800 miles and the scan tool always show a number of incomplete regens... Trip info show lots of idle time and the 0-10% usage is the highest and drops rapidly from there.. Two cases where they should have bought the HEMI, and I could name a few more.

Even as far back as the old 12 valve days we've seen "light use" issues. Gummed up valve stems holding valves open, knock from carbon buildup, fuel system algae.

I only live 8 miles from work and do not use my 01 CTD as a "daily driver" as there is no way it gets good heat cycles in that short of drive.

There was a day when these trucks were seen as a "work horse" and most of them were purchased to "do the job".... Somewhere along the way it suddenly became "cool" to have a diesel and the downward slide began there. I chuckle to myself when I'm out at the lake and see a 3500 dually 4x4 pulling a two place jet ski trailer.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Scotty
yeah and the cummins and Powerstroke needed major work to comply with 2007 whereas the duramax basically just needed a DPF and intake throttle body bolted on to meet 07 regs so to say "well the dmax and PSD are stupid because they dont already meet 2010 regs like the cummins does" is a little inaccurate in my own opinion.

So its all "relative" to staggered the life cycles of the different engines...

ben
Old 01-03-2009, 07:09 PM

They way I see it neither Dodge, Ford or Chevy are to blame. If you ask me its the Gubment... They are the ones who are imposing those silly regulations. Id be willing to bet that none of the big three wanted to mess with what was already working great. Here's to the 2010 standards....

If you consult my sig, you can see Im not to concerned with them.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:41 PM

I almost bought a 6.7 and am so glad I didn't.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:43 PM

I did buy a 6.7 and Im glad I did.

Its just a little more expensive to mod.

Quick Reply: thinking bout getting 6.7