3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Is there a new flash for the overhead display?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Took my truck in today to have them look into a couple of problems i was having. Turned out I had the p2000 and p1451 codes in the ECM. They performed the TSB, updated the transmission controller and did a manual soot burn

I have gotten to know the service advisor pretty good so he printed the TSB for me. It has a couple interesting things about it.

There is a note that states NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a Cummins 6.7L engine (sale code ETJ) built on or before February 14, 2008.

Moving into the details of it...

The latest ECM software includes a new extended idle feature to accommodate the extended idle times present in some duty cycles. This feature may help to reduce the accumulation of soot in the exhaust aftertreatment system when the engine is idling for an extended period of time. Briefly how this works
A. As needed, the engine enters an idling mode which dramatically reduces the rate of soot accumulated in the DPF (called "Net Zero"). Further, under extended idle periods of longer than 2 hours, the engine enters a mode which reduces the amount of soot accumulated in the DPF (called "Net Reduction"). while in these modes, the idle speed increases to 900rpm for a period of time. The idle speed may return to normal idle speed and then return to 900 rpm to repeat this cycle during very long idle periods.
B. These modes occur automatically provided two conditions are met. The vehicle must be in Park (Automatic transmission) of have the Parking Brake engaged (Manual Transmission) for these modes to be enabled. There must also be no accelerator pedal input.
C. After extended idling, if operation of the engine consists of light loads for short periods of time the engine will return more quickly to the Net Zero of the Net Reduction mode of the extended idle operation feature.
D. After extended idling, if operating the engine consists of higher loads for longer periods of time the engine must again idle for an extended period before the engine will return to the Net Zero of the Net Reduction mode of the extended idle operation feature.

NOTE: A number of improvements have been made to the engine diagnostics. Performing this Service Bulletin completely will enable these diagnostic improvements.
1. Improved Fuel Level Sensor diagnostic in the ECM
2. Improvement to the single diagnostic DTC P0148 – Fuel Delivery Error. This DTC is now addressed by the following two DTC diagnostics:
a. P1011 – Fuel Pump Delivery Pressure Too Low
b. P1012 – Fuel Pump Delivery Pressure Too High

New ECM and CCN software that together will improve the customer understanding of the exhaust aftertreatment system messages that can be displayed on the overhead EVIC.

I hope this helps everyone, I have not driven it much since I had the update done, but the little bit that I did, it drove great. It had a lot more power, most likely because of the De-soot, and it will now spin the heck out of the 285 BFG’s on the 1-2 shift. Much much firmer shifts!
Old 04-08-2008, 10:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sounds promising, though I STILL haven't seen a regen message on my OHC. I like the "net zero" and "net reduction" modes though. When my dad trades in his '05 for an '08 C&C this year it will make him feel alot better about the truck when he gets stuck out on a rig all night and has to sit there with the A/C on to keep from sweating to death...lol
Old 04-09-2008, 08:44 AM

Thanks for the info, 1screaminZ. Does the TSB say anything for those who drive their trucks short distances?

I've had this TSB done to my truck, but the service tech didn't share any details with me.

Like BroncoHound, I'm still waiting on the regen messages...
Old 04-09-2008, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by KamperHauler
Thanks for the info, 1screaminZ. Does the TSB say anything for those who drive their trucks short distances?

I've had this TSB done to my truck, but the service tech didn't share any details with me.

Like BroncoHound, I'm still waiting on the regen messages...
No, it says nothing about short distances... but the dealer gave me the long idling lecture. I told them i drive it in town 60% of the time and 90% of that time, the go pedal is at the floor. But even after that, they told me I should drive it harder, and I laughed at them.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:59 PM

Well, I drive in town about 90% of the time. I just ordered the Edge Insight anyway because I feel I can keep a better eye on things with it.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by 1screaminZ
No, it says nothing about short distances... but the dealer gave me the long idling lecture. I told them i drive it in town 60% of the time and 90% of that time, the go pedal is at the floor. But even after that, they told me I should drive it harder, and I laughed at them.
OK, I'm new to owning a diesel, but the comment of "drive it harder" makes me wonder...I've heard it so many times. Doesn't a diesel blow more black smoke when you accelerate hard? Wouldn't that just fill the DPF faster, defeating the fact that you are creating more heat?
Old 04-11-2008, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by BroncoHound
sounds promising, though I STILL haven't seen a regen message on my OHC. I like the "net zero" and "net reduction" modes though. When my dad trades in his '05 for an '08 C&C this year it will make him feel alot better about the truck when he gets stuck out on a rig all night and has to sit there with the A/C on to keep from sweating to death...lol
Trust me, your truck is doing regens. Without a pyro or module it's more difficult to tell, but it's still doing it. I drive my truck 99% on the highway every day at 75 mph (90 miles round trip) and it will do 2-3 regens in that time. They only last a minute or two. If you have your truck in cruise on the hwy and nothing else is impacting your mileage (hills, big head winds, etc) you can tell it's regenning by watching your mpg on the overhead. Mine will stabilize at about 17.5 mpg but when it regens you can watch it slowly but steadily drop to around 14.0 mpg. As soon as the regen stops it slowly climbs back up to about 17.5. I have a pyro and I also see my EGT increase 300-400 degrees at the same time.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:24 PM

Better mileage?

Just had this flash done today. I got a copy of the TSB explaining this latest update. I also notice the mileage changing on the overhead display when the truck does a regen as MtnTrucker talked about, but the drive home today after the update ( about 90 miles at 75mph with the AC on) it showed 18.3 instead of the usual 16-17ish. I'll do a hand calculation at the end of this tank which I'm sure will be less than 18.3 but hopefully better than before. I don't believe I feel any change in the performance of the 6.7
Old 04-19-2008, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by MtnTrucker
Trust me, your truck is doing regens. Without a pyro or module it's more difficult to tell, but it's still doing it. I drive my truck 99% on the highway every day at 75 mph (90 miles round trip) and it will do 2-3 regens in that time. They only last a minute or two. If you have your truck in cruise on the hwy and nothing else is impacting your mileage (hills, big head winds, etc) you can tell it's regenning by watching your mpg on the overhead. Mine will stabilize at about 17.5 mpg but when it regens you can watch it slowly but steadily drop to around 14.0 mpg. As soon as the regen stops it slowly climbs back up to about 17.5. I have a pyro and I also see my EGT increase 300-400 degrees at the same time.
I have 2400 miles on mine, that must be the reason, my overhead, goes from say 17.2, to 12.6 at 65 mpg. above 70 my overhead, at least I have never seen anything over 15mpg, so then it probably will go to 10 mpg. oh boy
Old 06-25-2008, 03:05 PM

Had my truck in the Dealer today because of a Check Engine Light (MIL). According to the invoice, it had codes P2262 and P061A. They performed TSB 18-13-08 by updating the PCM and CCN. The label in the engine compartment says the update is AZ. I guess it fixed the issue since I no longer have the MIL light. They also gave me the Owner's DVD which appears to be the same one I received in the mail a month or so ago. And provided a sticker which tells you what the Overhead Display will indicate during various stages of Regen.