3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Tampering with EGR/Exhaust = breaking Federal laws

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tampering with EGR/Exhaust = breaking Federal laws

So what are the fines if you get caught tampering with your EGR, exhaust/emissions system? I know it's breaking Federal law to mess with these things.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:21 PM

$10,000 is what I heard but you will usually get a Fix-it-Ticket telling you to put it all back on in a certain amount of time or you will be fined...
Old 10-29-2008, 02:26 PM

$10,000

I really need to sell this truck. Why did I have to buy a 6.7 and get locked into this crap...????
Old 10-29-2008, 05:46 PM

You don't see any of us worried about it, do you...
Old 10-30-2008, 02:11 AM

Have you ever seen a ricer or a hotrod ever get a fine for emisions?? Only through local smog and maybe a P.O.ed cop but never a fed. It has always been illegal.

Now, runnin red fuel is a different story, but that is messin with the IRS and we know those guys are a bunch of jerks!

Chris
Old 10-30-2008, 08:22 AM

If you are worried about the fine for removing the EGR, exhaust/emissions system,
Then don’t forget about fines for disposing your engine oil, and filter!
You can not just give it to a shop, or store to dispose of, you will be required to have a signed statement showing who received it, and how they disposed of it.
This applies to antifreeze, gear oil, Freon, OH, and will also apply to the particles blown out of the DPF by the dealer.
I was at the dealer, and saw them take a load of oil filters out and put them in the dumpster.
I think that tampering with the EGR system is the least of our problems. Think what is going to happen if Obama is elected!
Old 10-30-2008, 08:22 AM

Hey, while we are all in jail serving life sentences for playing with these trucks we can all get tatoos with red off road fuel. (ulsd of coarse.)
Old 10-30-2008, 09:29 AM

Hey J3 Cub
What is going to happen if Obama is elected?
Old 10-30-2008, 05:02 PM

Thumbs down NoObama

Then were screwed. he's about as patriotic as a corn stalk. His words "we shold get rid of the pledge of allegence and the flag" while he was at a flag burning ceremony..... As if the liberal media would report it ...NOT!!!
Old 10-30-2008, 10:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a better idea,,,, why not start a thread and ask if ANYONE has ever been fined for tampering with emissions stuff. I will bet it is a short read!
Old 10-30-2008, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by DieselLady
I have a better idea,,,, why not start a thread and ask if ANYONE has ever been fined for tampering with emissions stuff. I will bet it is a short read!
I have a friend who talked to a guy who said he met a guy at a campground that had his 6.7 confiscated to take back for wind tunnel and chassis dyno testing to help level the playing field

Chris
Old 10-31-2008, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisM55
I have a friend who talked to a guy who said he met a guy at a campground that had his 6.7 confiscated to take back for wind tunnel and chassis dyno testing to help level the playing field

Chris
A friend,,, who talked to a guy,,,,, who said he met a guy,,,,,,
Well that'l stand up in court!
Old 10-31-2008, 11:51 AM

Dodgezilla,

Has it right I think that some sort of diode in the EGR electrics that tricks the system into thinking "hey I am running wide open up this hill and don't need no frikin exhaust in the intake till I get to the top" sort of thing. The old VW Jetta used to not suck exhaust at idle or full throttle only settings in between and they used to sell a kit that tricked the system into thinking hey I'm wide open and with the kit on egr went by by but was all still inplace for the every two year check up. Surely with all the smarts on this forum we can fix this. Im in Montana and our air aint all that dirty anyway, and besides we are all redneck and I don't like inhaling my exhaust but I love my 08 truck and it's tranny and exhaust ...brake, and DVD player and yada yada yada.
Old 10-31-2008, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by dawghlr
Dodgezilla,

Has it right I think that some sort of diode in the EGR electrics that tricks the system into thinking "hey I am running wide open up this hill and don't need no frikin exhaust in the intake till I get to the top" sort of thing. The old VW Jetta used to not suck exhaust at idle or full throttle only settings in between and they used to sell a kit that tricked the system into thinking hey I'm wide open and with the kit on egr went by by but was all still inplace for the every two year check up. Surely with all the smarts on this forum we can fix this. Im in Montana and our air aint all that dirty anyway, and besides we are all redneck and I don't like inhaling my exhaust but I love my 08 truck and it's tranny and exhaust ...brake, and DVD player and yada yada yada.
Well the difference now is that the computers are looking for a dynamic response. It the old days it was just WOT give it EGR. Now the computer looks at intake temp, boost pressure, fueling etc. etc. etc. and determines how much EGR. Adding a diode or resister will fool it at one stage, but then it will still throw a code some where else.
Actually it is getting there, it just takes a lot more time to work out the bugs.
Old 10-31-2008, 02:33 PM

There are EGR foolers being developed right now. Hopefully soon we can all unplug ours with no issues........

Quick Reply: Tampering with EGR/Exhaust = breaking Federal laws