3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Supplemental Fuels, CNG or Propane.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Supplemental Fuels, CNG or Propane.

Can anyone give me any information regarding the use of alternative fuels for my 08 6.7? I do extensive highway driving each day along the same route and adding in a less expensive fuel would cut my fuel bill. Positive or not so positive comments welcome.
Old 01-27-2008, 01:51 AM

CNG all the way.....IF you have the means to buy it at the pump in compressed form, OR you are willing to spend $3k or more for an at home compressor, AND have natural gas service at your house.

Propane costs about the same as energy content per dollar as diesel, so the cost savings are minimal to none. Natural gas, if purchased from your home service and compressed in your garage, is almost half the cost. Big savings.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:58 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I wouldn't do it at all. These new engines are still being fine tuned in my opinion but have come a long way. With all of the emissions stuff it would be very risky to use these alternative fuels. My best suggestion to you is if you use the truck as a commuter during the week, get a cheap little econobox car to drive instead.
Old 01-27-2008, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Spooler
I wouldn't do it at all. These new engines are still being fine tuned in my opinion but have come a long way. With all of the emissions stuff it would be very risky to use these alternative fuels. My best suggestion to you is if you use the truck as a commuter during the week, get a cheap little econobox car to drive instead.
Agreed, in addition to voiding out your warranty, it's quite likely that something like CNG could either foul up your DPF or create so much more heat from the combustion as to make it into a ticking time bomb under your rig. Just placing a CNG tank under your truck at all could be hazardous with the temperaturs the exhaust sees in regen cycles.

Just driving a 25 - 30 mpg gasser car, if you don't have to have a truck, will save you a lot. It's why i drive an accord most of the time. Then again saving a few cents per mile with a $35k+ truck seems a bit odd to my anyway.