3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Principles of Operation Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Principles of Operation Question

Been surveying the site and there are some posters like Blake that have posted some good stuff about operation, mods, etc. Honestly though, much of that is over my head at this time.

I've been getting a few codes on my truck, mainly DPF codes. Will be taking it in soon. Also just had a ECM/PCM pop up. Still under warranty so I'm going to take the truck in.

When I get out of warranty I'll be looking for a Smarty. Until then I'll go stock. But, I'd really like to start learning the principles of operation for the 5.9 and the 6.7 (I have a 6.7 and a 5.9). Would like to begin doing some of the maintenance myself. But, I'm military and just haven't bothered to buy tools etc because moving often makes that difficult. I'd like to change that and start working on these trucks. I really love the Cummins and would like to learn how this powerplant works.

If there are any manuals I can get and start reading, learning, and figuring out what tools to start buying, that would be great.

Great site, thanks.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://cumminsengines.com/sites/ever...ram/ram67.page

Its not a complete list but its a half decent start on learning about these things, I aint the worlds foremost expert on the 6.7's, i just bought mine so im in a similar position learning wise, as for tools to buy it all depends on how much fixing and modifiying you feel comfortable with. I know, its not really an answer that helps but it all comes down to the guy behind the wrenches

other than that just keep reading, its how i got my limited knowledge
Old 11-28-2010, 07:03 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Wikipedia is a great source of knowledge too. Not all of it is 100% accurate, but most is pretty reliable.

As for tools, a good set of handtools will take you a long way. I used to purchase Craftsman exclusively but had a falling out with them. I now use BluePoint, which is the value line of Snap-On.

Very few specialty tools are need for routine maintenance and mild mods on these trucks.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:04 AM

Good stuff guys.

I'm in the Army now, but previously I was in the Navy. I was a jet engine mechanic. I enjoy the mechanic stuff but in the Navy, Uncle Sam was buying the tools so what was there not to enjoy?

If I go out looking for tools, does anyone know if the Dodge trucks are built with standard or metric sizing? Does it matter? Is it both?

I've always been a Craftsman guy. My old mechanic back home was a Snap-On guy. Is BluePoint a better value?

As for Wikipedia, my worry is that I may not know if the info is bad or not. Jet engines, now that I've worked on them, are simple to me. Automobile engines - not so much. Want to make sure I step off in the right direction.

I'm going to go to Wikipedia and the site listed above and start sorting through it, though.

Good info, thanks.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:45 PM

Buy a Haynes manual for your truck. Or a Chilton, I perfer Haynes.

Blue Point is just the "economy" line of Snap on. Not much difference between the two other than the actual "Snap on" tools are a little prettier.

Go to the Auto Hobby shop on Base. They should have all the tools you want, plus there's usually people there that can help out.

Auto engines are much simplier than the Jet engine. You still have suck, squish, bang, blow.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you will let an old timer help out also, I would suggest some of the following tools that you will need. The truck has both inch and metric fasteners on it.

1. A good clicker torque wrench. 0 to 150 FT-LBS, at least. I own three, one in my garage, one with the truck and a beam torque wrench in the camper.

2. I also have an inch-LBS torque wrench. Not often used to much but once in awhile it is needed.

3. A good set of Torx drivers. There seems to be some fasteners on the truck that you will need this for.

3. A good set of hex drivers, metric and inch.

4. A Complete set of sockets for a 3/8 drive and 1/2 drive ratchet. Up too a 1 1/2 socket for the 1/2 drive. Both in inch and metric sizes. 3/4 inch ratch with sockets would be nice, but not required

5. A complete set of wrenches starting at 1/4 inch and finishing at 1-1/4. Then repeat this in metric also. Not required but nice to have is a set of line wrenches also.

6. A code reader would be nice also.

After that you can buy as needed pulling tools and flare tooling, for brake lines, fuel lines and such.

This is a start there are other tools that you will need such as Starter wrenches and such like brake tools. But these can be bought as needed.

Jim
Old 12-17-2010, 08:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
blue point manufactures the tools for snapon.afai concerned as long as a tool has a lifetime warranty its good enough for me.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:50 AM
FMB

Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by charles.sulliva
...If there are any manuals I can get and start reading, learning, and figuring out what tools to start buying, that would be great...
How about videos? These are from Master Tech.

Part 1 of 4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMbB4UMZMpI
Part 2 of 4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI5tkHp9R9w
Part 3 of 4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XESrN80jNm4
Part 4 of 4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvFHzrwiQfA

Have fun, back to morning brew. . .
Old 12-19-2010, 10:14 AM

It used to be Craftsman was the only tool company out there (for us backyard mechanics) that would replace broken tools for free...for life. Now that places like Home Depot and Lowe's carry their own line of lifetime warranty tools, you're not going to go wrong buying tools from any of these places.

Heck, I'm a helicopter mechanic by trade and I work with a guy who has been doing it for 40 yrs.; he's got some cheap tools from places like Harbor Freight that he's been using for yrs.
Old 12-26-2010, 06:46 PM

The way these things throw codes, a code reader is essential rather than nice to have.