3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Perform Sevice

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 07:57 AM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
You are welcome. Glad to help
Old 10-18-2010, 10:56 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I have never replaced that filter and I have the hose to the turbo venting to the atmosphere. The inlet to the turbo is blocked. Should I change the filter or can I delete it all together?
147,000 miles on the clock.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:26 AM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by Scotty
I have never replaced that filter and I have the hose to the turbo venting to the atmosphere. The inlet to the turbo is blocked. Should I change the filter or can I delete it all together?
147,000 miles on the clock.
the idea behind it is 2 fold. 1st the EPA mandated no road draft tubes venting to atmosphere so the mfg had to come up with something. 2nd, being hooked to the turbo actually creats a vaccuum in the engine which seals the rings better than not having it.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:45 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Originally Posted by cbrahs
the idea behind it is 2 fold. 1st the EPA mandated no road draft tubes venting to atmosphere so the mfg had to come up with something. 2nd, being hooked to the turbo actually creats a vaccuum in the engine which seals the rings better than not having it.
Would letting the oil mist go back into the engine, intercooler and related components still out weigh not having it hooked up?
Just wondering how to get the most longevity from the engine in my truck.
I was always under the impression that the mist could impair sensors and coat components inside that are better off without the mist.

Scotty
Old 10-18-2010, 11:59 AM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by Scotty
Would letting the oil mist go back into the engine, intercooler and related components still out weigh not having it hooked up?
Just wondering how to get the most longevity from the engine in my truck.
I was always under the impression that the mist could impair sensors and coat components inside that are better off without the mist.

Scotty
that is why the filter is there to help stop that mist. the mist on your engine is a lot less than on mine because of the baffling and the filter. I know lazarsmith has a vaccuum pump on one of the trucks he built. pretty sweet setup but it also goes into a catch can.

if i recall correctly, there are no sensors that are in the path of any mist anywho. there are the 2 upstream in your air filter system. the only thing i could see is if the mist is too great, it would actually start filling your intercooler. only sensor I can think of that would be in any stream of possible mist would be MAP sensor if I am thinkin correctly.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:05 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The amount of blow by flow is going to be a function of the engine health and the amount of load you are putting on it. If you are running a high HP bump and pulling full time, then I could see the flow from the blow by vent being significant.

I am on the fence about pulling that tube off as I like not having the spots on my driveway and you may as well burn that vapour. As the engine ages, it may be a cause for concern.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:20 PM
Chapter President

i am surprised you never got a perform service light at all. they are set to come on at 67.5k miles (not sure of the klick conversion on that)
Old 10-18-2010, 01:38 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does loading the ECM with the Smarty reset these counters? I seem to think it does that to my oil change interval counter..
Old 10-18-2010, 01:44 PM
Chapter President

not that I know of. The smarty's that i have done locally still come on at 67.5k miles
Old 10-18-2010, 09:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now, I finally got my filter changed and got the EVIC cleared up as you all suggested. It was quite an easy job that took me about 10 minutes from start to finish with only one tool. I have pictures and a good description pending once I get the pic's hosted somewhere. I hope others can learn from our posts and can see that this is a very simple job to do.

Thanks for all who answered my posts with useful information.

Last edited by Totallyrad; 10-19-2010 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Unnecessary, snippy comment
Old 10-18-2010, 10:16 PM
Top's Younger Twin

I have had the msg a few times. Once at that posted mileage [my truck is a USA truck] and then I will get it whenever I have the smarty set on SW 5 or greater and I stomp the throttle.
I have had the hose unhooked for at least 80K miles and I have only seen a VERY small patch of dusted oil on the turbo inlet hose where the hose exhausts.
I've never changed the filter either.

So do I for not doing that and change the filter and hook up the hose?

I think I will start by changing the original CCV filter and then I might think about hooking up the hose.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i only have 35,000 on my truck and that same message has come up. Any answer for that? Thanks.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:54 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Not sure why it would come up that soon. I have not changed mine yet so Im not familiar with how the filter is built, but I would pull it and take a look at it. If it looks bad, Id change it. If not, reset the message and keep an eye on it.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:40 AM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by Silver67
i only have 35,000 on my truck and that same message has come up. Any answer for that? Thanks.
are you getting perform service OR service required light?
Old 10-25-2010, 08:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just got the perform service this weekend. 72,540 miles. I used the smarty to check for codes and there were none, I just reprogrammed the fuel economy tune and away we went.

Quick Reply: Perform Sevice