3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Perform Sevice

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Perform Sevice

Perform Service popped up on my ECM today at 67501 miles. No codes. Is this the EGR valve cleaning required message>
Old 06-27-2008, 05:34 PM

mine did same thing what did u figure out
Old 06-28-2008, 06:28 AM

I will try and be more helpful than the last post!!!!

The EGR valve, EGR cooler are to be cleaned at 67K and the CCV filter changed.
The EGR Valve gets gummed up, they remove it and soak it in a cleaning solution for a few hours.

They charged me like $500.00 - total bill was $692.00 with tax but I had a rental car for $35 and an oil change that they charged me $92.00!!!!!!!!!

A friend of mine - a diesel mechanic - says he will do it the next time for a case of beer!

I think you reset the overhead similar to the oil change except after the 3rd pedal press I think you actually start the vehicle then shut it off and it resets.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:03 AM

ya i get all that but wouldn't it show a code on the power pup
Old 06-28-2008, 08:03 PM

If you do the work yourself is there a way to shut off the message? Or does it take a starscan?
Old 10-14-2010, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by myfirsttruck
I will try and be more helpful than the last post!!!!
Great info. Now that's more like it... Thanks myfirsttruck!
Old 10-14-2010, 10:37 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
the service required light is to change the crank case filter and that is it. the dealers have come up with the "turbo/egr" cleaning. Take the EGR off yourself and give it a nice squirt with carb cleaner and a acid brush, replace the crankcase filter. they don't tell you the reset procedure in the manual NOR do they tell you what to replace in the OWNERS MANUAL (i guess i had to toss that in from the rely on the 2nd post). That light comes on every 65kish miles. The reset is pressing the gas pedal a few times and stepping on the brake a few times. i will get the exact procedure tomorrow when I get back to work. 92 for an oil change is a bit high. local dealer here charges $59.95. I live .75 miles from a dodge dealer and will drive the 16 miles to the one who charges 60 bux. even costing the fuel and time I still save money going to them.

Trending Topics

Old 10-14-2010, 10:46 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The owners manual tells you squat on that service indicator. CBrahs will give the info you need.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:53 PM
Chapter President

ok. i logged onto Chrsyler and here is straight from the "service information"

Perform Service Indicator
Your vehicle will require emissions maintenance at a set interval. To help remind you when this maintenance is due, the Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC) will display “Perform Service”. When the “Perform Service” message is displayed on the EVIC it is necessary to have the emissions maintenance performed. Emissions maintenance includes replacing the Closed Crankcase Ventilation (CCV) filter element, cleaning of the EGR Cooler, and cleaning of the EGR Valve. The procedure for clearing and resetting the "Perform Service" indicator message is located in the appropriate Service Information.

PERFORM SERVICE INDICATOR - RESET
The “Perform Service” message will display on the EVIC each time you turn the ignition switch to the ON/RUN position to indicate a emission maintenance is required. To reset the “Perform Service” indicator system (after performing the scheduled maintenance) refer to the following procedure:

1. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position (Do not start engine).
2. Press and release the brake pedal two times.
3. Fully depress the accelerator pedal slowly two times within 10 seconds.
4. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF/LOCK position.

NOTE: If the indicator message illumination when you start the vehicle, the “Perform Service” indicator did not reset. If necessary repeat this procedure.

according to the service interval, that light comes on AUTOMATICALLY @ 67500 miles.

have fun. save money and do it yourself
Old 10-15-2010, 07:12 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Hey Chris, Im getting close to the 67500, Im gonna do my own CCV, but do I REALLY have to drive all the way home to clean the EGR and cooler?

Do you see any issues with deleting the CCV to turbo?

Thanks for the info.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:56 AM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by Blake Clark
Hey Chris, Im getting close to the 67500, Im gonna do my own CCV, but do I REALLY have to drive all the way home to clean the EGR and cooler?

Do you see any issues with deleting the CCV to turbo?

Thanks for the info.
no Blake, you have to come to my place! LOL

Have not deleted the CCV to the turbo. Wonder if a valve cover off of a 5.9 would work and have a road draft tube but the ECM is still gonna set the perform service light at the 67500 mark
Old 10-15-2010, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by cbrahs
no Blake, you have to come to my place! LOL

Have not deleted the CCV to the turbo. Wonder if a valve cover off of a 5.9 would work and have a road draft tube but the ECM is still gonna set the perform service light at the 67500 mark
Well doing some looking GDP makes a kit for bout 40 bucks thatll do what I want.

Lil steep, but Ill see. Might be able to toss something together at the local parts house.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:29 PM
"California Style"

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Blake Clark
Well doing some looking GDP makes a kit for bout 40 bucks thatll do what I want.

Lil steep, but Ill see. Might be able to toss something together at the local parts house.
$40 bucks? That's just 80 miles driving for ya, no problem...

Sorry, you're gonna regret letting me know that stuff .
Old 10-17-2010, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by mega-engr
$40 bucks? That's just 80 miles driving for ya, no problem...

Sorry, you're gonna regret letting me know that stuff .
Nah, Dont bother me none. Yall should know that by now.

And if for some reason you do go to aggravating me... Ill just smack the mute button.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by cbrahs
ok. i logged onto Chrsyler and here is straight from the "service information"

Perform Service Indicator
Your vehicle will require emissions maintenance at a set interval. To help remind you when this maintenance is due, the Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC) will display “Perform Service”. When the “Perform Service” message is displayed on the EVIC it is necessary to have the emissions maintenance performed. Emissions maintenance includes replacing the Closed Crankcase Ventilation (CCV) filter element, cleaning of the EGR Cooler, and cleaning of the EGR Valve. The procedure for clearing and resetting the "Perform Service" indicator message is located in the appropriate Service Information.

PERFORM SERVICE INDICATOR - RESET
The “Perform Service” message will display on the EVIC each time you turn the ignition switch to the ON/RUN position to indicate a emission maintenance is required. To reset the “Perform Service” indicator system (after performing the scheduled maintenance) refer to the following procedure:

1. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position (Do not start engine).
2. Press and release the brake pedal two times.
3. Fully depress the accelerator pedal slowly two times within 10 seconds.
4. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF/LOCK position.

NOTE: If the indicator message illumination when you start the vehicle, the “Perform Service” indicator did not reset. If necessary repeat this procedure.

according to the service interval, that light comes on AUTOMATICALLY @ 67500 miles.

have fun. save money and do it yourself
outstanding contrast in quality of forum membership... Thank you for the kind & useful post.

Quick Reply: Perform Sevice