3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Oil Change Warning keeps coming back

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Change Warning keeps coming back

I got the oil change required warning and since it was time to change I had it done. I have reset the warning several times but it comes back in a day or two. Anyone have any idea what's going on?
Old 12-17-2012, 05:08 PM

are you even sure they changed the oil? when mine did that it was because the place i took it to to have the oil changed just charged me for the oil change but did not change the oil so the warning was actually doing what it was ment to do so now the only one that changes the oil is me. So if it was my truck i would break down and change the oil again myself and try the reset again and if it still does it take to the dearler and have them put it on the star scan to see if maybe the computer shows something.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To reset the warning, turn key to "ON" (don't start) and then press accelerator slowly to floor three times within 10 seconds. Then, turn key to "OFF". I reset that way and it's always worked. (IIRC, the doors should be closed and emergency brake engaged, but not sure on that).
Old 12-17-2012, 06:32 PM

Changed my oil at the same place I have been doing it for years.

I used the same sequence to reset and it does but it doesn't last.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:55 PM

Do you still have original batteries? I was getting some odd codes sometime ago and someone said it could be batteries. I put two new ones in and the problems went away.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Rrloren1
Do you still have original batteries? I was getting some odd codes sometime ago and someone said it could be batteries. I put two new ones in and the problems went away.
Just replaced them several months ago.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by whiteeye42
are you even sure they changed the oil? when mine did that it was because the place i took it to to have the oil changed just charged me for the oil change but did not change the oil so the warning was actually doing what it was ment to do so now the only one that changes the oil is me. So if it was my truck i would break down and change the oil again myself and try the reset again and if it still does it take to the dearler and have them put it on the star scan to see if maybe the computer shows something.
I love it! You do know that the sensors can't actually tell new oil from old oil right? That is why you have to do the reset. In any event, mine has come back surprisingly quickly and I no longer have much trust in it.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:11 PM

dd... this sounds like something in the computer isn't doing its thing. I'm not an expert with these computers, but I do know my dealership has set that message to come on every 4k miles.

I know this because after the lead diesel mechanic (a friend) and I talked about the oil change frequency, I said that I didn't want to go more than 4k between changes. I had purchased one of those oil change specials one time and since then, I get my oil change required msg every 4k.

I'm only relaying this, thinking that the dealership may be able to help you out with this... and, in the meantime set it to come on when you want it to come on. Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Rrloren1
As it turned out, I did have a weak battery even though they were installed only 8 months ago. Once the battery was replaced all issues went away. Thanks to Rrloren for the suggestion.

The strange thing is the shop said both 850CCA batteries were good from a voltage perspective but one was only testing to 600CCA. Not sure how that causes computer problems.