3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

New Tire Pressure Monitoring System question...

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 04:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Tire Pressure Monitoring System question...

I have some new tires and maybe rims going on the truck soon. My truck came with the TPMS which monitors all the tires on the truck. I was looking under the truck at my spare and noticed that it does not have one of these sensors in it. If I were to put the spare on the truck would the light come on in the dash? Is there a way to bypass this system and turn it off permanently? Any Dodge techs know??
Old 03-22-2008, 12:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The TPMS system works off modified bluetooth technology so as long as the damaged wheel is still holding air and in the bed of the truck, the TPMS will not trigger the dash light with a spare mounted on the vehicle. If the ruined wheel/tire is not holding the set tire pressures, the TPMS will trigger the dash light and one "ding" for every tire under recommended pressure.

Currently, there is no way to adjust the TPMS for different tire pressures and it is a federal requirement on all 2008 non-dually passenger vehicles so disabling is not doable through a dealership. The real kicker is that you cannot presently adjust the TPMS to a different pressure. For example, I am running a load range "D" tire on my '08 that has a 50psi cold max rating. This is 10psi under the level at which the TPMS is programmed to trigger the warning for the front tires so every time I start the truck cold the light comes on and the dinger goes off twice (once for each front tire). Once i drive down the road a bit and the tires warm up the light goes off but to say this is annoying is an understatement.

What I am hoping for is a StarScan update that will allow adjustability of the TPMS with regards to the range that it triggers a warning. If I could put the front tires at 45psi like the front, no more light/ding. Hopefully this is in the works...
Old 03-22-2008, 05:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is why I searched for an E-Rated 285 tire for my truck. I found some Nitto Dura Grapplers which hold up to 80psi. I'm even going to put a sensor in my spare so if I have a flat I won't have to listen to the dinger..

Thanks for the reply
Old 03-22-2008, 04:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The dinger only dings once when the TPMS notices the low pressure then the light just stays on the dash. It's not like the seat belt dinger where it is a constant dinging, just the one time to let you know that you have a TPM situation.

I have heard rumors that Nitto will be producing an E-Rated 325/70R17 Terra Grappler in the next few months and, if so, i will be on them like white on rice. If not, i think my next set of tires will be Toyo M/T's in a 35x12.50R17 E-Rated. I really have no need for an M/T on my truck, but that little amber light annoys the dickens out of me.