3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

My take on the 68rfe....Finally got to drive one today

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 08:19 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Post My take on the 68rfe....Finally got to drive one today

Well, I was at the dealer today with my company Durango that had a small issue so I decieded to take advantage of the time. They had just got in a new 4x4 2500 with the 6.7, 68rfe, and 3.73 rearend. This is not a silly spinning tire comparison. It is my honest opinion.

The truck was quiet. It sounded a little funny when we first fired it up but that was due to the exhaust brake being on to help warm up the truck. We drove it down the road and it shifted good and smooth. It is a different feeling than the 48re. The exhaust brake was awesome and the manual shifting of the 68rfe was very good. On the way back I got in it somewhat. It revved to 2300 RPMS before shifting. That is the exact same feeling I get with my stock 48re. During the shifts the rpms only dropped 150 RPM. That tells me that the TC is still too loose for my liking. I believe it will have the same high revving starts when pulling heavy and that is what I hate about my 48re. I like everything else about it but am dealing with it while pulling heavy. I believe the 68rfe will be better than the 48re pulling heavy due to 2 extra gears but in no way will it be comparable to a manual. I believe everyone that hates the auto will still hate the auto. The manual is here to stay. I don't think it will change any of the people's mind that buy manual trannies. If I were to buy a new truck I would ONLY get a manual. The torque that is lost with both auto's is large. That is why they can turn up the power on an auto with no ill effects in stock form. Dang it. It wish it was better.

Just my .02.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:26 AM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Spooler
Well, I was at the dealer today with my company Durango that had a small issue so I decieded to take advantage of the time. They had just got in a new 4x4 2500 with the 6.7, 68rfe, and 3.73 rearend. This is not a silly spinning tire comparison. It is my honest opinion.

During the shifts the rpms only dropped 150 RPM. That tells me that the TC is still too loose for my liking.

Just my .02.
What do you mean? If the tranny shifts of course the RPM drops, it's in a higher gear. How is that "too loose". If the TC is not locked up it slips. That is what it is designed to do. That's how a TC multiplies the torque and that's how they allow you to stop in gear without killing the engine. With a manual you have to slip the clutch to start out, and slip the clutch to stop in gear. So....................

Wetspirit
Old 04-10-2007, 04:17 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think he means that by only dropping 150 rpms it is loose because it comes close to the same speed at the top on the gear and then goes back out on the next gear. You also have to remember that being a 6 speed it will have closer ratios than a 4spd therefore you cannot really compare TC stall ratings by shift rpms.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:22 AM

My point was this, I will not be running out to buy one at this time until several people pull heavy with it and post the results. The 48re is a good unit in stock form unless fully loaded. The 68rfe is also a good unit as far as I can tell but I still feel the TC is to loose. The extra gears will make up for that. No reason to get offended. I just won't be stepping into a new truck with that price with any doubt that it may or may not do the job I want.

My first impression is the TC can be better. As much people that complain about it you would think DC would of made sure it was perfect... guess not.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:49 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If they made the torque converter to shift like a OTR highway tractor they would loose alot of the market share. Unfortunately, only about 20% of the big trucks sold are close to GVW or over. Soccer moms seem to get all the design ques, not the heavy haulers.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Lil Dog
If they made the torque converter to shift like a OTR highway tractor they would loose alot of the market share. Unfortunately, only about 20% of the big trucks sold are close to GVW or over. Soccer moms seem to get all the design ques, not the heavy haulers.
Isn't that the truth. Soccer moms don't need these trucks. I only have one because I need it to work. Otherwise I would have a 2 seater sports car.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:20 PM

What about tow/haul mode? Not sure if it even still has one, but if so, did you try it? I am thinking it might lock the converter in each gear above 1st like the Allison.

Just a thought.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:40 PM

I didn't try it. Tow/Haul that is. I forgot. Should've.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:06 PM
The Guru

I would rather drive a truck with a higher stall than a low stall converter rpm. I've drove both. The bottom line it gets the engine up into rpm's, more torque and horsepower. With two overdrive gears, it sounds pretty sweet. The aftermarket should fab up an 69re for the rest of us to hate. I would buy one. Sure beat the tall first gear that us four speed guys have. I could see my 60foot time dropping.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DavidTD
What about tow/haul mode? Not sure if it even still has one, but if so, did you try it? I am thinking it might lock the converter in each gear above 1st like the Allison.

Just a thought.
I played with it today on my test drive. It seemed to me that the TQ locked up ina few of the gears but I did not notice it in all of them. I also am used to a manual so I dont know exactly what it feels like but I did coment on one of the shifts that I thought it locked up. I think it was in 4th but who knows. Dont hold me to this, like I said I am used to my manual and I have not driven a Auto truck for several years now and never a 48re. The last auto I had was my 98 so i have no real comparison to go off of.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:27 PM

Haven't druv a 68RFE model but the Aisin in the CC I drove felt pretty solid. The .63 overdrive is much better than a G56. I like a manual but the Aisin was very nice.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:26 AM

Maybe I should find a 68rfe with 4.10 gears to give me a better idea of what is going on with the truck. My 48re is O.K. it is just hard to justify the increased cost on the new truck. Dodge is the only one that is making it very lucrative to get a new truck by offering so much new stuff with the emissions engine. Factory exhaust brake, new 68rfe, manual shift mode. I think they did it right compared to the other two Ford and Chevy. I still would like someone to pull heavy with a new truck so we can see what they think.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:24 PM

I tow and tow heavy everyday with the 6.7 and Aisin combo, it works fine. I know you were talking about the 68rfe, but if you want a truck with a auto and need it to work, the Aisin will fill the bill. Now over 35k with no problems.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Lil Dog
Agreed. I absolutely hate it when people say they wish there auto tranny shifted smoother. Not me, I want mine to snap my head back!
Old 04-17-2007, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Spooler
Maybe I should find a 68rfe with 4.10 gears to give me a better idea of what is going on with the truck. My 48re is O.K. it is just hard to justify the increased cost on the new truck. Dodge is the only one that is making it very lucrative to get a new truck by offering so much new stuff with the emissions engine. Factory exhaust brake, new 68rfe, manual shift mode. I think they did it right compared to the other two Ford and Chevy. I still would like someone to pull heavy with a new truck so we can see what they think.
The people who pull for a living are pulling heavy loads.They use the commercial rated CC with the aisin ,a commercial rated transmission.The people who prefer six speed manuals should not worry about the auto-trannys and be happy with the 6-shooter.I don't lose any sleep over the decisions DC makes,the marketplace will decide if they are good or bad descisions.

Quick Reply: My take on the 68rfe....Finally got to drive one today