3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

More 6.7 problems!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More 6.7 problems!

I’m really starting to lose confidence in my truck and the 6.7 emission system. First I end up with the thing hardly running and after taking it to the dealer they can’t find anything wrong. Just resets itself after turning it off.

Then I have the check engine light come on with a beep. Drive to the dealer again. There is an active code about the DPF plugged with ash. They clear the code and tell me to drive it on the highway and it will clear out the DPF. But I have been driving it on the highway?? They reset my speedometer for free but now it’s off so bad I can’t even use it!

Now coming back on a long trip I get the same light and beep on the dash. I kept driving it and soon the power starts to go away. So I figure that the engine is de-rating itself. Then all of a sudden I get a warning on the overhead about the DPF (can’t remember what it said) and seconds later it says ‘Catalyist 100%’. Just great I’m miles from any towns coming over the Cascades. I called every number I had for my dealer service and no one answers on Sunday night. So I just drove it all the way home.

So this morning I have someone call the service department. They are putting me off till tomorrow and I’m told to just drive it in. 35 minutes to the dealer. Maybe the DPF will just blow up on the way in! LOL

I tell you what, I am not going to have this truck in for service every week. What are the Oregon lemon laws?
Old 05-21-2007, 11:20 AM

man it sounds like your have a tuff time with that very expensive new truck and new technology..........sometimes I think manufactures release new products before there ready and put through some serious testing. i know they do alot of testing but you cant tell me that they never had this happen to a truck during testing, or if they didnt they then didnt do enough testing IMO.

hope you get it worked out....
Old 05-21-2007, 11:22 AM

Yeah, it sucks when you're working over the weekend and run into problems. Seems there is never any help available from Sat. night thru to Mon. morning. Hope you get it straightened out.
How many miles on it??
Old 05-21-2007, 11:26 AM

Are you using ULSD without any additives? Maybe you got a bad batch of fuel?
Old 05-21-2007, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by KBennett
Are you using ULSD without any additives? Maybe you got a bad batch of fuel?
That's what I was thikking too.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:40 AM

Yes I make sure that my fuel is ULSD.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:02 PM

From what I understand when the overhead says "Catalyst 100%" it can only be cleared by the dealer. They have to go in and either remove the DPF or try to clear by telling the computer to burn it out. Sorry to here your having trouble.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:09 PM

as far is i was to understand chrylser took our ability to run degeneration actuator test away on the last software update (safety concerns).
i have not checked in about 2 weeks though to see what 100% blockage procedures are.
Old 05-21-2007, 01:42 PM

First off, if it happens on the way to the dealer, do not turn the truck off. Leave it running and let them check the codes since you said it resets itself if power cycled. They will need to catch it misbehaving. You may have a problem with the catalyst injector for the DPF but that is just a guess.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:51 PM
zxa

i have a 6.7 here......the engine is wonderfull!! however with the overanbondance of sensor on it...it just normal that sometime there is "bug" on it....... our truck put the "p245a cel" and most of the time it desapear by itself...gonna call my dealer to check what is it........the engine run perfectly!!

so nothing to worry so far......

have checked some other forum about the new "d-max" and its doesn"t seem to be better at all...... same problem there too, with the overabondance of sensor... welcome to the new school!!
Old 05-21-2007, 10:40 PM

Steve, I hope things work out for you , what daler are you taking your truck to?
Old 05-21-2007, 10:50 PM

my 07 cab and chassis has set the check engine light on and of for the entire 15000 miles thats on it, took it in around 12000 and they said it wasnt getting enough fuel to the pump according to the code, they did a flow test and said it passed fine, check engine light came back on the next day, it comes on for a day or two probably once a week, way disappointed in the 6.7 compared to my 5.9, except for the exhaust brake. o the general ameritrac tires or whatever they are arent worth a dang either, less than half tread on the rear and its a dually, ??? fronts look almost new still???
Old 05-24-2007, 11:15 AM

Steve, how did you make out when you took the truck back to the dealer?
Old 05-24-2007, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Rollin' Smoke
man it sounds like your have a tuff time with that very expensive new truck and new technology..........sometimes I think manufactures release new products before there ready and put through some serious testing. i know they do alot of testing but you cant tell me that they never had this happen to a truck during testing, or if they didnt they then didnt do enough testing IMO.

hope you get it worked out....
They should let some members here do the test driving on their new vehicles! Real world, real people!
Old 05-24-2007, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by jkitterman
First off, if it happens on the way to the dealer, do not turn the truck off. Leave it running and let them check the codes since you said it resets itself if power cycled. They will need to catch it misbehaving. You may have a problem with the catalyst injector for the DPF but that is just a guess.
The 6.7 does not have a catalyst injector

Bob

Quick Reply: More 6.7 problems!