3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

LSD vs. ULSD 6.7

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 12:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by donhov
Not sure unless you used off road diesel that anyone here in the states is still selling LSD. Think/hope that the station just hasen't changed their signage yet.
Thought all had to be selling ULSD by or about the first of the year. If you are out of the states, then it's a different story.
I just filled up with LSD (on road) this morning. At the station I got it from it is 3 cents cheaper than ULSD.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Little03
My dad has 6800kms on his new 6.7L only uses LSD cuz we dont have ULSD fuel up here in the north country yet. Only Cheveron has it But thats 5 hours away from us. his 6.7L has gone thru one regen so far and no problems. Cummins told him LSD will be fine.

I dont think the new engines would have bin released if they could only be run on ULSD. Cuz 90% of the pumps dont have ULSD yet.
My self I find it somewhat hard to believe that Cummins would say go ahead or that it’s Ok to use LSD in the 6.7 engines and that it wont hurt a thing. It may not hurt much if a person had to use a few gallons of LSD or even a full tank but I would think it will casue a lot of problems with the DPF if it’s used all of the time.

The new CJ-4 oil that is used in the 6.7L does not hold up well in any engine that burns LSD. IIRC you need to cut your OCI up to 50% if you burn LSD and use CJ-4 oil in the 5.9 and I would think it would be the same in the 6.7. Using LSD in the 6.7L will also play hell with all of the smog junk that is on the engine and its Dodge you have to worry about when it comes to any warranty repairs not what Cummins has to say.

And for this statement and I quote “I don’t think the new engines would have bin released if they could only be run on ULSD. Cuz 90% of the pumps don’t have ULSD yet”. Being that 80% of all diesel fuel being made is ULSD there was no problem releasing the new 6.7L when they did and why it was not put in to wide use before Jan 1 2007. One other reason they waited until after Jan 1 2007 to give us the 6.7 is that they had to give the Oil Company’s time to get the new fuel made, delivered to stations so it could be used to flush the fuel tanks to a lower sulfur content before the new engines were released for wide use.

Just my $0.000002