3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Looks like a 6.7L in our future...

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 07:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like a 6.7L in our future...

Well, the beloved 2007 5.9L was totaled this morning. Wife was driving to the dealer for service when an oncoming car hydroplaned, starting spinning, and struck our truck. Luckily she wasn't hurt severely. The two people in the other car (ford taurus) are still in critical condition. I am very lucky to still have my wife.

So, how many of you guys switched from the 5.9L 48re to the 6.7L 68re? Will I like the new truck? I guess the fuel mileage will be worse, right?

Thanks for any help! (still kind of numb and worn out from today)
Old 08-05-2008, 07:23 PM
MMMmmmm.... Grits!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Wow, I was in those shoes three years ago. Really hope everything is okay. Sounds like the important things are. Also sounds like the truck did it's job s well.

I posted a little lower about my Saturday with a 6.7. I'm looking forward to my change.

Chris
Old 08-05-2008, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by ratlratl
Wow, I was in those shoes three years ago. Really hope everything is okay. Sounds like the important things are. Also sounds like the truck did it's job s well.

I posted a little lower about my Saturday with a 6.7. I'm looking forward to my change.

Chris
Thanks! I fully believe that had she been driving anything smaller than a pickup she wouldn't be with me anymore. Screw the fuel prices, we are getting another big truck to replace this one.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:46 PM

Thank God your wife is OK and I pray for the other victims.

I switched from 48RE to 68RE right after the test drive. No comparison. The 6 speed is soooo much smoother and the integrated EB is a great added bonus.

Fuel mileage is about 2 MPG worse for me. You'll love the truck.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:12 AM
MMMmmmm.... Grits!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
That's what I tell people when they ask why such a big truck? I'm just paying for extra life insurance.

Again, glad the important things are okay.

Chris
Old 08-06-2008, 02:15 PM

My wife's 3500 single wheel Mega Cab is Mega-Safe!
I hate to fill her up but feel good about protecting the family. Side air bags help out also.
I like to drive it too. I had almost 18K behind it today I cant say that I didn't feel it but it sure takes it down the road nice, the ovehead said 13.2 MPG. The Exhaust brake brought her down form highway speed to turn off hte highway to the ranch with out touching the service brake. I think the 68RE is a keeper, Dodge and Cummins...what a pickup!!
Old 08-06-2008, 08:58 PM

Thanks for all the great replies!

Update on truck. Insurance is trying to he-haw us about total vs. repair. Was told today that the repair bill has to be at least 80% of the truck value before they will total. Truck is valued at $30K. Supposedly the deciding factor will be the degree of frame damage to be determined after a tear down. I guess I will have to wait until middle of next week before I have a straight answer?

Has anyone else gone through this?
Old 08-07-2008, 08:54 AM
tcr

Originally Posted by cdhd2001

Update on truck. Insurance is trying to he-haw us about total vs. repair. Was told today that the repair bill has to be at least 80% of the truck value before they will total. Truck is valued at $30K. Supposedly the deciding factor will be the degree of frame damage to be determined after a tear down. I guess I will have to wait until middle of next week before I have a straight answer?

I would question the trucks value of 30K. You can buy brand new for less here. Blue book is BS and outdated givin the circumstances.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That and a $30k truck with $24k of body work on it is no longer worth $30k! Hit them up for "worsement" as I call it, and a CTD rental for a month plus. That should do much to make the insurance company total it. Good luck.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:11 AM
Muted User

Sorry to hear about the truck, but glad to hear your wife is OK. I always said, what you don't pay in fuel, you'll pay in pain and suffering. I just read the other day that the Hummers, and Dodge Rams do the most damage to the other vehicles in an accident, according to the insurance reports. I hope they do you right, I made the mistake one time of letting the police dept. take care of the damage they did to my old truck when they T boned me, they put all used parts on it, when I thought I heard some noise from the front diff., I drained about 1/2gallon of rusted water out of it, must of been a repainted junkyard part. When I worked for Dodge, I saw a mechanic straighten most of the drive links on a recked 2500 with a torch, instead of replacing them. Keep a good eye on what they're doing, and good luck.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by cdhd2001

I am going through this right now with my 2004.5. I got rear ended at over 60mph on the freeway coming home from work 2 weeks ago by a drunk driver. The auto body shop looked at it and said the thing really got hammered and it looks like it will be totaled, but couldn't say for sure until he put it on the frame rack and took some measurements.

He called today and said it is repairable as there is no frame damage except for a little bend on the frame horn. It will be just shy of 14K to fix and that will be at 70%. I was sort of hoping for a total so I could look at a new Dodge or a GMC with a Duramax/Alison combo after using my dads to pull my trailer. Then again I only have 3 payments to go until this 2004.5 is paid off and I can start to put $500 a month in my pocket.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:54 PM

Well, it is official. My 2007 5.9L is a total.

I test drove a couple of 2008 6.7L auto Quad cab duallys today. Trying to decide between the 2wd and 4wd again. I am leaning toward the 2wd because of cost and better ride.

It is a weird feeling shopping for your "baby" when you just did a 1 year and 3 weeks ago.

Pics.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:55 AM

Wow thats some damage, glad your wife was okay. Good luck in the new truck shopping!!