3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Intermittent Hesitation and No boost.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 03:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intermittent Hesitation and No boost.

My 2007.5 has been having a really weird issue. After I drive at a constant speed and slow down to stop, i have no power when taking off again. I can mash the accelerator and click it into first gear but the engine has NO power. It will eventually spool the turbo and everything is fine again. This doesn't happen all the time and mostly in the morning. Yesterday it happened after a road trip from Aibuquerque to Farmington NM (160 hwy mi). The dealer tried cleaning the turbo (twice), replaced the air and fuel filters and finally replaced the turbo last week but the problem is still there. Does anyone have any idea what could be going on with my truck? I haven't seen any codes, which adds to the problem.....

Thanks,

Dan
Old 06-23-2011, 12:34 PM

Just a guess from my own experience, but I would say you will not get a code and one day your truck will de-rate itself and you will be in for a new DPF. This is how mine was acting and next thing I knew truck was being towed to the shop.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:59 AM

Did you get this problem resolved? Mine has just started to do the exact same thing. No codes, just has no power accelerating from a stop until the rpms come up a bit. Doesn't happen every time, but is getting more frequent.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:09 AM

Sounds a bit like what just happened to mine....see post from earlier today except mine buck a little. CEL did finally come on but have not had a message on the DPF.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:18 PM

Haven't resolved it yet and losing my patience... Today I was driving on the freeway and tried to accelerate and guess what, no power... Pulled off the to the side and when I started to accelerate, the engine started sounding like my old PowerStroke and almost stopped running!!! Turned off the engine and restarted and all was ok. The no power issue has been happening for a while and it's getting more and more frequent but the clattering engine noise is a new symptom. I'm leaving it with the dodge dealer all of next week while I'm out of town, hopefully they'll find something with this pos... I'll post when I get back.

Dan
Old 07-15-2011, 02:25 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like a seized turbo nozzle. The slide sticks and then it can't provide boost at all. Hopefully they can just clean it or replace the turbo on the warranty card.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:40 PM

Does sound like the vanes are sticking, but his turbo has been replaced, with no change in the symptoms. New turbo bad? Mine is out of warranty at 125k, and I would hate to throw a new turbo on there, just to have it keep doing same thing. Not real happy with my truck at this point!
Old 07-16-2011, 02:23 AM

What would cause the engine to get real noisy? It really sounded like my old 7.3 Power Stroke... I saw a YouTube video of a 6.7 that wouldn't build boost on the highway similar to mine. I really hope Dodge can figure this one out.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:13 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The noise is diesel combustion knock from advanced timing. If the timing is going weird, then there may be a sensor issue such as intake air or even the MAP sensor being fouled. I am not expert, just thinking out loud.
Old 07-23-2011, 01:54 PM

Picked up truck today from dealer, this is what they replaced:
-DPF
-HE Shield
-OX sensor
-EX Sensor
-EGR gaskets (due to leak)

I'll let you guys know if it's any better this week.

Dan
Old 07-23-2011, 04:43 PM

Well.... Problem is still there... Went for a highway drive up a slow hill and when I pulled off onto a side street, no power. I floored it and let the turbo spool up but it still had no power at the next stop sign. Could my replacement turbo be bad? What tells the turbo to change geometry so it will spool up?

Dan
Old 07-23-2011, 05:56 PM

As a fellow member of the "Turbo Barf" club, I feel your pain! It is my understanding that the vanes are controlled by signals from the drive pressure sensor, the turbo speed sensor, throttle position sensor, and the manifold pressure sensor. All of these tell the ECM where to position the nozzle. The fact that we are not seeing any codes is disturbing, as well as the fact that so many of us are having the same problem. There have been a few times that I have pulled out into traffic only to find no get up and go. Pretty scary Does not happen if I do no use the ebrake, which still leads me to believe that the problem is in the turbo. Recently I pulled the drive pressure sensor out and cleaned it, and while I had it out, started the truck to see if I was getting any exhaust flow through the pipe. Not much until I reved it up a little to blow the soot out of the pipe, but the only change I have seen is that the MPG is starting to come back up a bit. Truck didn't like the sensor not being there and threw a couple of codes. CEL light stayed on for a couple of days and went back off. Really wish I had an answer for you on this one.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:16 PM

The no code issue should be a clue in itself. For whatever reason, the truck doesn't see the need to spool the turbo. My truck has the issue with or without the EB on and only when the engine has been under load for a while (like on freeway or long hills). Maybe something (a sensor) is sooting up and the truck doesn't sense the need to move the nozzle? Everything works fine after I shut it off the engine and restart. I'm going to ask the dealer if there is a datalogger that can be plugged into my truck so when the issue happens, we can capture something....

Dan
Old 07-28-2011, 07:40 PM

Well, I was scheduled to go to the dealer on Monday but that's not gonna happen.... On my way from Albuquerque to Santa Fe today, the truck started losing power on the highway, then the engine started sounding like my old powerstroke then the engine died.... So here I sit, waiting for a flatbed tow truck so I can drop this POS at the dealer tonight. If anyone is having a similar problem, DON'T take a road trip!!!!!!!
Old 07-30-2011, 05:34 PM

Just made an interesting discovery on mine. Took the throttle valve off to take a look, and it looked like the inside of an old chimney. The butterfly is spring loaded open, and when I manually closed it, IT STUCK CLOSED!! Didn't take much to get it to open again, but a good cleaning sounded in order. Scrubbed all of the soot out of it and now it pops right back open like it should. Haven't put it all back together yet to try it, but that could have been causing the lag. Maybe when the afternoon thundershowers blow through, I can finish the job and take it for a test run.

Quick Reply: Intermittent Hesitation and No boost.