3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

How can you make the exhaust break stay on every time you start the truck?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 07:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How can you make the exhaust break stay on every time you start the truck?

Is there any way to make the exhaust break switch stay on every time you crank the truck? Like putting a resistor in line or somthing im getting tired of pushing the button every time I start the truck. Thanks

Old 06-04-2009, 03:10 PM

Everyone wants this, but nope, no one has come up with a way yet.

ben
Old 06-04-2009, 03:28 PM

That is kinda odd. In our work trucks @ Chrysler there is a simple hi-low-off toggle switch. It stays where you put it!!!
I guess I'll know more when the 2010 3500s come out!!! Can't wait.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Jaxom
That is kinda odd. In our work trucks @ Chrysler there is a simple hi-low-off toggle switch. It stays where you put it!!!
I guess I'll know more when the 2010 3500s come out!!! Can't wait.
I believe the C&C trucks do stay on till you turn them off but our regular old trucks you have to turn them on every time.

There was a guy that was doing alot of research into this and he figured the ECM needed a momentary indication every time the truck was shut down to initiate the engine break

Chris
Old 06-08-2009, 09:42 PM

Perhaps I should clarify when I say "work trucks"...
Name:  DCTITRUCK.jpg
Views: 3416
Size:  25.4 KB
Old 06-08-2009, 09:58 PM
With age comes the cage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes the C&C stays on.. perhaps the key on / off 4 times and hit the brake button then wait for the chime would do the trick.. just guessing..
Old 06-08-2009, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Colo_River_Ram
Yes the C&C stays on.. perhaps the key on / off 4 times and hit the brake button then wait for the chime would do the trick.. just guessing..
HAHAHAHAHA

seems to be the trick for everything else in these trucks...
Old 09-28-2009, 04:33 PM

Do this mod:

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d-t251964.html
Old 09-29-2009, 01:12 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I thought I read on here somewhere that you're supposed to turn it off when idling for extended periods?

If that's the case, I'd rather it turn off every time I shut down...but that's just me.
Old 09-29-2009, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by SOhappy
I thought I read on here somewhere that you're supposed to turn it off when idling for extended periods?

If that's the case, I'd rather it turn off every time I shut down...but that's just me.
Thats incorrect, what you read is....if you idle for extended periods of time you SHOULD use the exhaust brake. The actuality is that you should use your exhaust brake ALL the time, to help prevent soot buildup in your turbo and to extend the life of your service brakes.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by txfiremedic
Thats incorrect, what you read is....if you idle for extended periods of time you SHOULD use the exhaust brake. The actuality is that you should use your exhaust brake ALL the time, to help prevent soot buildup in your turbo and to extend the life of your service brakes.
We were trained not to idle DT466's with the EB's on to cut down on soot. Of course, a different system than the sliding nozzle that we have with the 6.7.

Good job making the EB live on start-up. Warm enough here, I don't need it for the heat.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by coolbreeze
We were trained not to idle DT466's with the EB's on to cut down on soot. Of course, a different system than the sliding nozzle that we have with the 6.7.

Good job making the EB live on start-up. Warm enough here, I don't need it for the heat.
This is the exact reason you want to run the EB all the time.....Because we have VGT and a bunch of emmissions crap on our 6.7s that pumps soot back into our motor. Using the EB prevents buildup of soot in the VGT the we have on our 6.7L. And you should run the EB all the time, no matter the climate. I live in West Texas where its hot all the time. What it boils down to is prevention. If you don't mind taking your truck to the dealership for them to drill a hole in your turbo and clean out the soot build-up, then don't bother with running the EB. I on the other hand avoid the dealership at all costs because IMHO most are a bunch of crooks.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by txfiremedic
This is the exact reason you want to run the EB all the time.....Because we have VGT and a bunch of emmissions crap on our 6.7s that pumps soot back into our motor. Using the EB prevents buildup of soot in the VGT the we have on our 6.7L. And you should run the EB all the time, no matter the climate. I live in West Texas where its hot all the time. What it boils down to is prevention. If you don't mind taking your truck to the dealership for them to drill a hole in your turbo and clean out the soot build-up, then don't bother with running the EB. Me on the other hand avoid the dealership at all costs because IMHO most are a bunch of crooks.
I use the EB all the when I'm driving it, I just don't idle it. 19,000 trouble free miles on my stock truck.